DC Introducing Wonder Woman's Daughter Trinity

Yeah I get that criticism. At the time I had never read a Wonder Woman comic, so I didn’t really have any preconceived notions. It’s been many years, so I maybe if I revisit today I may feel different about it. I just felt like her world was so well fleshed out and the interactions between characters, especially the gods, were really interesting. Some of the latest story arcs, Revenge Of The Gods, and the one where she’s hopping the multiverse remind me of that a bit. As for the art, I really like Chiang’s style, but like everything we read, I realize it’s not for everyone. Hoping the upcoming run can galvanize fans around it like Johnson and Williamson are currently doing for Superman :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

I was into this the moment I saw the creative team. Then this announcement came and now:

I’m interested to see more of this new character and how she plays a role in all this, not to mention her…origin story, shall we say?

Oh, and in case anyone is worried, King has said that while they are pushing Trinity, there is other content planned for the rest of the Wonder Girls as well:

5 Likes

I’m going to piggyback on this and say that I wasn’t a big fan of Rucka’s Rebirth run either, partially for all of that, but mostly for the fact that it did the cardinal sin of making Diana the weakest, least interesting part of the story. I mean, the characters that actually move the storyline along are mostly Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, Cheetah and Veronica Cale; meanwhile, Diana is lost in her own head, hallucinating a worm in her finger and asking her/the worm who she really is.

It’s just…not at all what I want in a Wonder Woman story. Like, okay, the stuff with the Amazons and their snu-snu raids were a dumb move on Azzarello’s part, but at least Diana actually did stuff in that series.

And you know what…I’m gonna double down and say that Rucka’s first run wasn’t all that interesting either. Literally, if it weren’t for the Batman team-up OGN and Diana’s fight with the Medusa, no one would ever talk about it.

4 Likes

Love Yara Flor, glad to see her still getting attention. My entry point for WW was volume 2 (starting with George Perez as writer) so I’m familiar with Cassandra and excited to get more of her. Although outside of BMS’s Young Justuce book, I haven’t read much with her post-Flashpoint. And Donna…I never read the TT books that included her, which is where I understand a lot of her stories and developments are based in. She is the character of the WW family that I can’t get a good feel for.

4 Likes

I hope that Fury/Lyta Trevor will eventually be brought back within the pages of the JSA comic. If Helena Wayne can exist, why not Lyta, too? I’ve always wanted to see a proper Infinity, Inc. reunion.

The image is from Infinity, Inc. #27. If any one would like to learn more about Fury, this issue is a good starting point. It’s available on DCUI, along with the entire Infinity, Inc. series.

4 Likes

I would love to see Fury brought back. Of the various characters spun off from Wonder Woman, she is one of my favorites.

2 Likes

Hector Hall and Fury Lyta Trevor were used by Geoff Johns in the pre flashpoint justice society. Not sure if dc wants to reboot Hector Hall. There might be plans to give Carter Hall a son who might be a rebooted Hector Hall (can be seen in a proposed series that was not approved).

2 Likes

Artist Daniel Sampere posted another drawing of her:

One thing I will say that also made me more excited for this book, and this might sound weird, was seeing Trinity’s head in proper proportion. While I was really excited to see Sampere on a WW book, the initial announcment threw me off because it looked like he just made Diana’s head smaller to emphasize her muscles. Hopefully this means Sampere saw that and is working on it.

6 Likes

Anyone else getting major The Legend of Korra vibes?

5 Likes

5 Likes

While I’m happy Supergirl is a “Futurama” fan, we don’t need more Diana/Kara shippers. The internet is overflooded as is

4 Likes

if there is a dad he must have brown hair bruce wonder woman and clark all have black

2 Likes

Much as I hate to shoot down a ship,

“He’s out of line, but he’s right.”

1 Like

I didn’t take it as a ship, more like this kind of situation:

(Diana not understanding pop cultural references is one of my favorite tropes!)

6 Likes

I have an idea that in her head, every individual pop culture franchise is sorted by which of her friends introduced her to it:
Clark and Barry introduced her to the basics: Star Wars, the MCU, that kind of stuff.
Hal showed her the first few episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Six months later, he remembered that had happened, and asked if she still remembers what happened in the first few episodes. She had seen every episode.
This one time, she had to babysit the Batkids, and they introduced her to the good Disney Channel series - Gravity Falls, The Owl House, Phineas and Ferb, sometimes Amphibia depending on my mood.
Batman didn’t find out this was happening until everyone had covered most of the basics, and they were all treated to a 45-minute lecture about how they should’ve started with Doctor Who because we want to make a good impression and it’s the greatest thing Man’s World has ever created*.

*This is in the repaired timeline where Chibnall does not exist.

3 Likes

I like your headcanon. I think I’ll adopt it myself.

Oh, I am glad to see I am not the only one who thinks we need this timeline so bad….

3 Likes

How differently we see things. I fell in love with Wonder Woman herself when I read Rucka’s first run, and I am still extremely frustrated/angry/sad/upset about how Azzarello threw out everything before him. And I view what he did with Diana as the least interesting part of the run, whereas I find what Rucka did with Diana intensely moving and memorable.

So Rucka’s retcons were kinda setting back to a status quo that I think is much better. But for people who came in with the n52 and really enjoyed that, I can understand why it’s frustrating/hurtful. I just hope you can understand that Azzarello’s run did the exact same thing to the runs before him.

4 Likes

He has a romance arc in nearly every major run he does, though - Grayson - Dick and Helena, Vision - Vision and his wife, Omega Men - Kyle and the princess, Batman - obviously Bat/Cat (which gets a LOT of pushback, though I really love it), Mister Miracle - obviously Scott and Barda, Batman/Elmer Fudd - Batman/Silver St. Cloud, Up in the Sky - Superman and Lois are a big undercurrent, though not really a plotline, Strange Adventures - Adam and Alanna, Human Target - Chance and Ice, Gotham City: Year One - Slam has TWO major flirtations. I’d say the number of times he does romance tends to outnumber the times he doesn’t.

4 Likes

Tom King seems like a family guy and typical american dad so I hope to see the wonder woman family keep on expanding.

3 Likes

Thank you for understanding! I wasn’t frustrated or hurt though. Just didn’t care for it as much, is all. Was still a fun read.

Seems to be an all too common occurrence with comic runs :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes