DC Grails & Missing Pieces

Truth be told, I’m surprised we haven’t had a Cyborg vs. Murder Machine box set yet (the same goes for Wonder Woman vs. The Merciless, Aquaman vs. The Drowned and Batman vs. The Batman Who Laughs).

I really like the McFarlane Cyborgs we have so far, and whenever a comic-based version does come about, I imagine I’ll dig it a ton as well.

Right? I’d like to see a Dark Crisis Justice League (Jon, Yara, etc.) box in the Page Punchers line, complete with a reprint of Dark Crisis #1.

5 Likes

This used to be a grail that I came close to breaking the bank on a couple times. The Hot Toys Superman: The Movie figure.

I found out about when I first started collecting, which was well after it was sold out. I didn’t know such lifelike figures existed.

I also would love to acquire this Hot Toys version of the Henry Cavill Superman, from BvS. That movie is up there on my list of favorite movies, Superman or otherwise.

The main reason I’ve cooled down on these, is that I’ve already acquired Superman statues based on those very movies in the same scale as the Hot Toys versions (1/6). So they now fall under the “beautiful, maybe someday” category.

7 Likes

Those are nice!

5 Likes

Yeah they really are. Hot Toys focus is more Marvel and Star Wars, but their DC pieces are all quite nice to gaze at.

4 Likes

Some day.

6 Likes

I remember you mentioning this one before. Seems very gettable judging by ebay, unless you’re looking for it sealed in box, in which case the price jumps significantly.

I forget; this was used in the movie when he went after Penguin in the sewers, right?

4 Likes

That does look cool!

3 Likes

I am looking for it boxed, but only so I can have a minty-fresh one to open and put on display…and so I can also flip through the included Kenner booklet, which was and is always an experience in and of itself when opening brand-new Kenner vehicles and/or playsets.

I’m not against a loose and complete sample, though. As long as its in great condition, complete and the price is right, I’d go for it.

I’ll likely get the Batskiboat before the Turbojet Batwing, though. Hell, I’m more likely to get most any other Kenner/Hasbro DC vehicle (or playset, for that matter) before I get the Turbojet Batwing. :smiley:

'Twas! Its the scene that forever seared “Alright, let’s turn 'em around.” into the geek section of my mental sponge/brain.

It definitely is.

I remember holding the Batskiboat in my hands at Toys R Us and other retail joints when I was a kid, and while it was something I wanted, vehicles just weren’t a huge priority for me when I was a kid, so I likely passed on it so as to buy other figures (be they from Batman Returns or elsewhere), instead.

Speaking of Kenner Batman Returns vehicles that have been on my radar for a while:

That one is pretty affordable and easy to come by. I’ve just been too lazy to get it.

5 Likes

Dagnabbit, once you think about Batman Returns vehicles, the floodgates just open and flow. :smile:

I had that when I was a kid, but approximately 8 hours or so after my parents bought it and I had opened and played with it, we had to take it back to Target.

Why?

One of the sides that pops off (I want to say the right one) wouldn’t stay locked in and kept popping off at random intervals.

We tried to find another one to exchange for, but Target was sold-out (and it was the only Target where we lived at the time, so we couldn’t go hunting to other stores for another one), so my parents got their money back on it and I was sans a Kenner Batmobile until Christmas 1995, when “Santa” delivered the Batman Forever Batmobile under our tree.

I wouldn’t mind having the Kenner Batmissile Batmobile again, but it goes for as much (more, in some cases) as the Turbojet Batwing, and being that I’ve never had a Kenner Batwing, I’d sooner get it over the Batmissile, which I did have, if only for a few fleeting hours in August of 1992.

5 Likes

That’s cool. I like how it mimics the scene from the movie, which I found very exciting when it came out. 1992 was it? I was 12 years old. The only toy I remember having from those movies is a “remote control” Batmobile. I used quotes because the remote was wired. Nothing like following the Batmobile around as you’re controlling it :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

I think I remember that. Seems like one of the non-Kenner things that caught my four eyes on many occasions (the Batman Returns figure carrying case being another item).

My brother was an ardent RC car fan in 1992, and man alive, did he hate wired vehicles. There’s no way he would have let me spend my allowance on something like that, and if my parents decided on it for me, he would have politely talked them out of it. :joy:

Do you still have that, or is it lost to time?

5 Likes

Oh waaaay lost in time, my friend.

Dad gave it away along with the rest of my childhood toys (which included some MOTU, G1 Transformers, and SP) a long time ago.

5 Likes

:pleading_face: I hope he gave them away with your permission, at least.

Getting home and saying “Where are my Super Powers and RC Batmobile at?”, only to get “We gave them away.” in response would be a bummer, and then some.

Have you thought about buying another one, or are you satisfied with your memories of the piece?

5 Likes

That’s a long story that’s probably a bit too personal to share here, but no, I was young and there was no permission involved :slightly_smiling_face:

No I just remembered it right now when you shared the pictures of that Kenner piece.

My collection of Super Powers and slight dabbling in He-Man and Transformers is precisely that though: chasing nostalgia.

5 Likes

sits back in his chair and crosses his arms

In nearly 40 years from now, do you think today’s kids will be gushing about McFarlane’s Super Powers as adults, the way we gush about the Kenner stuff?

Do you think some other company will have a tribute SP line on the pegs and the 30/40 somethings of that era will say “Oh, cool! I was only a very young kid when the previous line was out, but I am all-in on this new line!” as we have for McFarlane’s SP output?

These are the things I ponder while listening in on work-based calls I mute myself out of. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Maybe, but I honestly believe that what we collect is niche enough that it won’t be talked about that much. Instead those conversations will probably be about “vintage” Funko Pops & stuff of the sort.

4 Likes

40-year-old in 2052: “Man, I 'member when I had to go to a store to buy a chase Pop. Kids today, though…they just use their Mind Materializer and poof, its right in front of them.”

I…I want a Mind Materializer, and not to sound impatient because its not my way (clearly), but…I don’t want to wait 30 years for it, either. :smile:

4 Likes

So… the first Superman collectible statue ever made (1942), by a company called Syroco:

A little tidbit on it from this source:

Adolph Holstein, a skilled European immigrant woodcarver, founded the Syracuse Ornamental Co. in 1890. Unable to keep up with demand for his intricate carvings, Holstein developed a process to mass-produce replicas of the carvings by compressing a mixture of wood, flour, waxes, and resins into molds.

In the 1930s and 1940s, the company changed its name to Syroco Inc. and manufactured a line of novelty items and figurines of popular entertainers, personalities, and comic strip characters, and were sold in roadside souvenir shops.

In 1942, Syroco released their most popular and successful figure–SUPERMAN. The 5 1/2" tall Superman statues were not offered for sale; instead, they were a promotional item from DC Comics for Superman comic books to distributors and retailers. The production was limited to only 100 pieces of which 88-90 were brown with a red logo & cape while another 10-12 were fully painted.

I believe I read somewhere it was based on this HJ Ward Superman painting from around the sane time (which has an interesting story of its own. Look it up!):

Early Superman stuff like this fascinates me. What the info above doesn’t mention is that there’s an even rarer version made with an ashtray base, a promotional item for executives at the time, with only few known to still exist.

I’ll probably never be able to afford one of these, and even more doubtful I’ll ever find one for sale, given they only made so few of ‘em 80 years ago. What’s weird though is when you search ebay, you’ll find one seller offering these “re-issues”:

I can’t tell if these were really released in some official capacity, or if this seller just made ‘em on their own. Pictures look close, but obviously not perfect replicas.

7 Likes

The Mafex hush Batman

Having a really good quality Batman figure that scales well with my Marvel legends would be the dream, too bad that dream is over 120$ which is not the kind of money i have to spend on toys.

5 Likes

Nice one!

Any Batman or specifically the Hush design? Plenty of more affordable Batman options that will scale with your 6” Marvel Legends.

5 Likes