DC Festival of Heroes Introduces Monkey Prince!

A New Hero: Monkey Prince!

DC Festival of Heroes will treat readers to the first appearance of an all-new character, the Monkey Prince. Debuting in a story written by award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang ( Superman Smashes the Klan, Batman/Superman, New Super-Man) with art by Bernard Chang ( Teen Titans, Batman Beyond), Monkey Prince is inspired by the Monkey King, the legendary hero of Chinese mythology and the classic tale Journey to the West. In Yang and Chang’s original 12-page story, “The Monkey Prince Hates Superheroes,” Monkey Prince battles and teams up with Shazam to defeat both the evil Dr. Sivana and a Chinese deer demon spirit! To further celebrate this new superhero, the anthology will receive a special Monkey Prince 1 in 25 variant cover by Bernard Chang (check local comic book stores for availability).

Head on over to DC Comics to learn more about DC Festival of Heroes and what’s in store in this 100-page anthology!

Which story are you most looking forward to in this anthology? Let us know your thoughts below! :point_down:

21 Likes

Always love when DC introduces new characters!

8 Likes

im am always happy for more Cassandra Cain

5 Likes

The artwork is incredible

5 Likes

Some great characters and intriguing stories! Very excited for this…

7 Likes

I’ve really, really liked everything I’ve read by Gene Luen Yang, so I am very excited about this. I do like the design, too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

so am i the only one who dislikes stanely’artgerm’ work? it just rubs me the wrong way and always feels oddly sexualized?

6 Likes

Very neat character design. I’m interested for sure.

4 Likes

Very true. But obviously hugely talented artist.

4 Likes

Definitely excited for this – love that Cass is not only getting one story, but two (WITH the return of Abuse). The story with Amy Chu sounds really cool too.

I can see that, but I think that’s partly out of necessity – the work that makes him money is variant covers, and the variant covers that sell are usually the sexy ones.

5 Likes

This looks neat. I’m interested in multiple stories. And, I too can see where you’re coming from @Izzy11, but I do like that Batgirl cover, she looks so cool.

5 Likes

I support DC in doing it, but I wasn’t going to get the issue.

The Monkey Prince, though… okay, that’s pretty cool. [insert smiley face]

And the Monkey Prince is just screaming to be animated.

4 Likes

Check out the LEGO Monkie Kid series. :wink:

3 Likes

Awesome™:+1:
Alway enjoy a look at mythologies and incorporate Chinese mythology to this hero sounds awesome™:+1:. Also great art.

2 Likes

i don’t know i look at and think ooh pretty then i look at it more and think, hmm this feels off its always feels oddly idealized

2 Likes

hey if I had money to spare i’d probably get it, im a sucker for anything with Cass i just feel weird cause people always gush about the art and I’m just like, they look fake

3 Likes

Okay, I was in just to see what Gene Luen Yang has in store for us in the headliner, but once I clicked through to see everything else we got, I’m a bit overwhelmed and want more. Most looking forward to:

• Dustin Nguyen Cass with bonus Abuse?! Plus a second Cass story from Mariko Tamaki? At least they didn’t team up on one story; I might not survive the anticipation.
  • More Kong Kenan! And the return of Connor?! I can’t wait to see how this plays out and would love to see it as an ongoing team-up.
  • EMIIIIIIKO!
2 Likes

Is that where the Kong “MONKE” meme came from? :laughing:

That’s fair. I think most comic book superheroes, male and female, have very idealized bodies, so it stands to make sense.

He’s already returned! He came back in the most recent issue of Detective Comics in the Robin back-up, and he’s on the cover for Robin #3.

3 Likes

yeah but not to the point where they look not human, it makes them look alien the porportions just feel off, i don’t know if its size formating or what it just the more i look the more it creeps me out

2 Likes

Do you mean with Artgerm’s cover for Cass specifically or in general? Because I thought the cover looked pretty proportional and Artgerm in general is pretty decent about that.

Here’s the cover, for anyone else reading:

I’d say the only thing that looks a little off is her left hand, which looks a little small.

5 Likes