DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #93 - Crush and Lobo! June 4 - 11, 2022

Hi @DCFanArtClub! June is Pride month and we are kicking off 4 weeks of challenges focused on an LGBTQ character in the DC Universe. DC has a page that gathers together a lot of these characters and stories and the ones I have lined up are all on here (but I’ll keep you in suspense).

First up is Crush! She’s the half-Czarnian daughter of Lobo and was introduced in the Rebirth era of the Teen Titans. The first 6 issues of the Crush and Lobo series are available on DCUI and it’s really quite good. I didn’t read this one when it first came out, but as I catch up on DCUI I’ve been really impressed by both the script and art.

The script by Mariko Tamaki really let’s Crush’s personality shine through and the art by Amancay Nahuelpan is extremely detailed (especially when reading digitally and zooming in). He’s definitely an artist to watch!

If you’d like to know more about Crush, here’s what she would tell you:

OK, I can help out a bit.

Teen Titans #25 is the secret origin of Crush.

DCUI has a ‘get to know Crush’ page.

Comic Book Resources has a handy list of the ‘10 Things You Should Know About Crush’.

If you don’t know her, give her a look and see what inspires you.

Due Date: June 11, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

12 Likes

Great idea to make this a pride month!
I’ve never drawn Lobo or Crush so should be interesting. I’ll have to think of what I want to do.

6 Likes

Awesome™:+1:. I think I have some ideas already.

3 Likes

I hope I Crushed it.

11 Likes

Crushed it indeed! Very nice portrait!

4 Likes

Thanks! I wanted to keep it simple. Almost forgot I could do these. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Great job! I’ve been at my youngest’s dance recital most of today but hope to work on it tomorrow

3 Likes

My inspiration came from Crush and Lobo issue 2.

Yes, there are three milkshakes.

8 Likes

Shaking it up I see. I always get 3 milkshakes. 1 because I just want one. 2 to have with my food. 3 for dessert.

Great job on this my friend!! :fire:

4 Likes

Thank you :pray:

3 Likes

I like that math!

Thanks Rob!

4 Likes

Crush and Katie

You know when you keep staring at a pic and erasing lines…i finally just had to put the pencil down and be ok woth what i got out. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Love it, you captured her fierceness and stellar hair style.

3 Likes

Perfect. Is the side eye your signature cause its awesome as well as the colors.

4 Likes

Nice interaction between the characters. I love that you went for the harder perspective. Very nice work! :fire:
I know what you’re saying about erasing. I do it a lot myself. If this helps, use a scrap page to make a rough layout. I always leave the scrap piece to the side and sketch out the change I wanna make there, by adjusting the layout. You can erase it as much as you want and it doesn’t harm your final work. If you ruin it, who cares.

3 Likes

Very nice Stef! Katie’s face especially look great.

It really is hard to know when to stop adjusting and say you’re done. Digital can actually make that worse since there isn’t the problem of erasing a hole in the paper.

I like to think of it as every piece that you create just gets you more prepared for the next one.

4 Likes

Omg, I do a lot of side eye, don’t I? I guess it’s my go to look to show a bit of sly emotion. :smirk:

4 Likes

:star_struck: :white_heart:

4 Likes

Oh awesome! I’ve been wanting to get to know her better!

Also, Happy Pride Month everyone! :rainbow_flag:

6 Likes

And a little less serious Crush

I might change her pose to the archer one if anyones familiar with body building, had a lot of fun just doodling.

9 Likes