DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #72 - Captain Cold and the Rogues! January 1 - 8, 2022

Hi @DCFanArtClub! Happy New Year and welcome to 2022! Thank you all for coming back for another year of art and fun!

Since it is January, we will start with a few weeks of winter or ‘cold’ related challenges.
A great place to start is with Captain Cold himself and, to add more options, the rest of the Flash’s Rogues Gallery.

Some good reading for the Rogues is during Geoff Johns early 2000s run of the Flash. It is all here on the DCUI and Geoff’s run starts with #164.

The classic lineup of the Rogues includes:

• Captain Cold
  • Mirror Master
  • Gorilla Grodd
  • Pied Piper
  • Weather Wizard
  • Trickster
  • Captain Boomerang
  • The Top
  • Abra Kadabra
  • Heat Wave
  • Golden Glider
  • Rainbow Raider

Take a walk with the bad guys this week and create something with Captain Cold or any of the Rogues!

Due Date: January 8, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

11 Likes

Awesome™:+1:. Just finished reading there year of the villain stuff so definitely have some ideas there.

7 Likes

My favorite Legend Heat Wave is on the list but I may try to do something different.

7 Likes

Both cold and hot…

12 Likes

For some stupid reason my brain went straight to Todoroki from My Hero Academia. :rofl:

Seriously, great job on these 2. The colors are so bright and vibrant.

8 Likes

Thanks Rob! Working on this has added a new random fact in my head… Captain Cold is 6’2" and Heat Wave is 5’11". Never really pictured Captain Cold as that tall…

I haven’t watched much Anime at all (just Trigun). Would you recommend My Hero Academia?

8 Likes

Absolutely!! Very fun and easy to watch. I have drawn a few of the characters for my daughter. She is the one who got me to watch it. It has 4 seasons on Hulu.

8 Likes

I also would not have guessed Cold to be so tall. Wild.

8 Likes

This week’s challenge was fun! I had previously drawn both Heat Wave and Captain Cold as they appeared on the Arrowverse shows, leaning into my likeness realistic style. Mick Rory was my favorite character on Legends of Tomorrow and is sorely missed.
I decided to do something different and draw Captain Boomerang. I had a vision of doing just a closeup shot and the more I worked on it, the more he looked like the creepiest clown I had ever seen. I even tried to tone it back by using his earlier costume but still…

13 Likes

Very cool! Definitely has an old school Joker vibe.

9 Likes

It’s funny you mentioned the Joker. I initially drew his grin much more exaggerated and then scaled it back.

8 Likes

JK is right he does have a joker-ish look to him. I think you got the eyes just right, along with several other traits. Like the pork chop sideburns, the hair, costume, and the chin, I mean everything. But that smile is so joker creepy. It’s like he got a dose of Joker toxin somehow. With all that said, I really dig this portrait of the character.

Random thought; a what if the rouge’s gallery was dosed with joker toxin. What would they look like and how would the flash handle that situation?

8 Likes

Sounds like a good idea for a future challenge. :+1:

10 Likes

:joker_hv_5: Jokerize everyone! :joker_hv_5:

8 Likes

Very nice! I would not have thought of the height difference. I guess I was used to Michael Scofield and his brother Lincoln, er Arrowverse Captain Cold and Heat Wave where they seemed closer in height. The colors on Cold’s outfit really match the comic book and I know from experience the guns are tricky to do. Great job!

8 Likes

See here I had the Katy Perry song going through my head…

7 Likes

My oldest child, the one I took to my first comic book convention, is a big Academia fan. Has a lot of the Funko pops and is working on cosplay. As passionate talking about the show as I am on comic books

7 Likes

Thanks! I saw how goofy the original Boomerang was and I only intended to make him scarier looking but still in same costume. The Joker grin was completely unintentional but I did like how the mouth turned out as I often have trouble drawing them.
I like the idea of a Joker theme for a challenge now that I’ve gotten a taste

8 Likes

Awesome! What is their favorite character?? Mine is Todoroki and Bakugo. I love watching with my daughter we always “ship” the characters together. (I know I am just a big kid!):rofl:

8 Likes

You total accomplished the creepy vibe!! I would love to see some Joker-ized versions of characters you’d create!

7 Likes