DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #68 - The Sandman! November 13 - 20, 2021

@ImpulseMaxMercury - nice work and you even incorporated the signature umbrella and dead flowers!

@NYJt3 - awesome colors and fish! I remember thinking when I colored her pic back in April how hard it must be for a colorist to keep up with all the colors in her hair every panel

How do you like it so far? It keeps things in one thread, but it feels a bit jumbled up. I’m on the fence…

5 Likes

Here’s my take on Morpheus.

Inspired by P Craig Russell’s art. I actually had a t-shirt with this design back in my youth.

9 Likes

Went deep for this because I never read any Sandman. I think I skimmed through a comic in the 90’s but instead of drinking age refining my mind, I went for that “other” part of the store. Looking at the wiki page I know I lost out on some deep truths!

I have 4 main sections I drew. The 1st is Dumah. I decided against the gender less concept of angels and went the trans route.

The next one is a general thought process centered around the 3 as birthing the Terrible Trinity. It’s more of a cosmological illustration.

The next one is about Merkin’s Spider web. I thought of the web as a collection of timelines that the Dream Weavers might use.

The next one is Azazel’s Tapestry of Life. I thought of a toxin in the Climate that would require Poison Ivy to work with Swamp Thing to remove.

And finally I thought of Mazikeen and a Labrynth, possibly inflicted on humanity to prevent Space Travel.

5 Likes

@Stephen.Gluck.Henderson.67303
These are awesome™:+1:. Very cool and interesting concepts. Like the use of different styles.

@JKoco17
That looks awesome™:+1:. Wow. Great details and effects.

Thanks. Yeah that would have been the challenge for colorist. No wonder most of the cast are shades of black and white :sweat_smile:.

I do agree it’s a bit jumbled. Don’t mind it much though. I’m fine either way of having one or two.

4 Likes

Beautiful! Love all the colors and the sea creatures, very playful but also her smile makes her look a bit crazy or sad? I really like this piece!!!

4 Likes

Thanks​:+1:
Yeah the smile was a bit hard to get down. Not sure what kind of smile I was going for though. Just through one in.

5 Likes

It’s good. A smile that’s a bit crazy and a bit sad is perfect for Delirium.

4 Likes

@TheTerrificToyman - love the magnet board. Are these all purchased or DIY magnets? (Or am I misunderstanding what a magnet board is?)
@RobArt471 - very cool Dream! Love the simple two tone - it works really well for him!
@stefanie.m - OMG your Merv is adorable! Love the big doe eye cutouts. Very nicely done.
@ImpulseMaxMercury – so very well done! You captured her well, and I love the expression. Can’t wait to see her portrayal and how close she comes to your interpretation.
@NYJt3 - SO BRIGHT! SO CUTE! SO AWESOME!! Love it! The extreme closeup works perfectly for Delerium!
@JKoco17 - Very nice Morpheus! Love the gradient on the orb and the reflections on them and his necklace. The details on his cloak are great, too! Awesome interpretation of Russell’s look.
@Stephen.Gluck.Henderson.67303 - These are awesome - I love how much thought you put in to the visualizations of concepts. I’m not familiar with Azazel’s tapestry, but aesthetically love that one the most.

6 Likes

I went with Ziggy for my contribution. He’s a half developed Blank that Dora sort of adopts in the Spurrier/Eveley run of The Dreaming.

I don’t have pale enough colors to do it the way I want, but might make this an excuse to learn digital coloring. I regret not arming him (he wields a blunderbuss and a raygun) and his hat isn’t nearly large and foppish enough, so I might do another pose for said learnings.

8 Likes

DIY

We bought the board itself from IKEA.

Then I took magnet sheets I get from Walmart-

And cut the images from Sandman comics I got for cheap from Half Price Books

7 Likes

Oh, very cool! That’s an awesome fun idea. I might have to get crafty for Christmas! :smiley:

6 Likes

2 Likes

And Ziggy looks awesome™:+1:. Never heard of him but already seems like a cool character. Also the texture of the box looks great.

5 Likes

The magnet board is awesome!! It’s like a comic book came to life with the panels overlapping to tell a story.
The figure is very cool! I was wondering how you create the figures. Do you start with pieces from other figures and then repaint and sculpt down or do you build from scratch?

5 Likes

Very cool! I like how he seems to be overlooking like bed sheets as if you are dreaming. But I like changing my perspective and he could be looking over ocean waves, desert sand dunes, or snow capped mountains. Limitless

4 Likes

Love the cartoonish nature and still get the body language and expression for a guy with a pumpkin for a head. Really like where this is going.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad I could capture her likeness and I was struggling to fill the background before I thought skulls and death

4 Likes

Love the use of color and the closeup almost has a Disney by way of LSD feel to it in a good way. I like the sea animals floating nearby. Great job!

4 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks! I wanted to draw the actress and I saw a cover of Death with her umbrella and dead flowers so I decided to incorporate it.
See reference below

As for the new club format, I like it! We can have discussions and I don’t have to find the other link to post my drawings on.

6 Likes