DC Fan Art Club: September 2023 Spotlight - Ambush Bug, Mister Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite

Hi @DCFanArtClub! Before we head into spooky season, let’s take a trip into the 5th Dimension. I know I’m a day early for September, but 5th dimension folks are known for causing trouble, so I think this fits. :slight_smile:

OK, so only Mister Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite are actually from the 5th Dimension, but I have a feeling Ambush Bug would like to stick his nose in there as well (wait, does he even have a nose?).

Artistically, all of these three have non-traditional looks and body types. They’ll give us a chance to stretch our skills and expand our imaginations.

So who are these guys?

Ambush Bug was created in 1982 by Keith Giffen. His origin is quite bizarre, so let me just repost a snippet from Wikipedia.

His real name is supposedly Irwin Schwab, but… his true identity might be no more than a delusion on his part. His origin is disputed, although the most commonly accepted origin is that Brum-El of the planet Schwab sent his clothes from his supposedly doomed planet, hoping that his wardrobe would survive, only to have it intercepted by a giant radioactive space spider. In the resulting crash, only two articles of clothing survived: the Ambush Bug suit, which was subsequently found by Irwin Schwab; and “Argh!Yle!”, an argyle sock with a Doctor Doom-like complex, complete with metal mask.

Yup, that sounds like Keith Giffen’s work.

Ambush Bug has appeared in several mini-series and specials over the years. In 2008, the Ambush Bug: Year None mini-series was infamously known for publishing 5 issues, taking a year break, skipping issue 6 and going right to the final issue 7. Dan DiDio claimed to have ‘lost’ the issue, but it did have a mention right here on DCUI in Let Them Live! Unpublished Tales from the Vault #5 (and it has a perfect punchline!).

@biff_pow - I know he’s one of your favorites. Do you have any memories you’d like to share?

ambushbug1

Up next is Mister Mxyzptlk and, as John Byrne tells us in Superman #11 from 1987, the correct pronunciation is Mix-Yez-Pittle-Ick.

He’s an imp from the 5th Dimension and was created all the way back in 1944 by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. He has appeared in live action (portrayed by Howie Mandel and others), animation (voice by Gilbert Gottfried and more) and has tormented Superman in numerous comics. Portrayed mostly as a trickster, but sometimes with sinister undertones, he’ll only go back to his dimension if you can convince him to say his name backwards.

Anyone have any favorite scenes from when he appeared in the CW Supergirl series in seasons 2, 5 and 6?

Mr Mxyzptlk Action975

Lastly, we have Bat-Mite, who is also an imp from the 5th dimension. He was created in 1959 by Bill Finger and Sheldon Moldoff as Batman’s equivalent of Mister Mxyzptlk.
Less sinister and more of a nuisance, he really just enjoys watching Batman in action.

His history contains a period where DC banished him to only a few appearances between 1964 and post-Crisis 1985.

Grant Morrison brought him back for his first post-Infinite Crisis appearance starting in Batman #672. That was a handful of issues where I still don’t really quite understand what went on.

In 2015, Bat-Mite had his own 6 issue series written by Dan Jurgens!

In addition, DC has collected some of the best Mxy and Bat-Mite appearance in the World’s Funnest trade paperback.

Post your thoughts and work in the thread below and thanks for being a part of the art club here at DC Universe Infinite!

Due Date: September 30, 2023

mxy and batmite

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

15 Likes

Sounds fun. Already got some ideas :thinking:

9 Likes

Also happy Anniversary @JKoco17 :tada:

10 Likes

@biff_pow

8 Likes

@JKoco17 Happy anniversary! :tada:

10 Likes

@JKoco17 Happy Anniversary!

9 Likes

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes everyone! Time sure flies around here.

10 Likes

bc2bc7b6786844bb8aaf9e0c34218290

And

buttflowers_anniversary

@JKoco17!

9 Likes

Truth be told, when you posted your Ambush Bug/Question piece in August, I thought…let’s put Ambush Bug in the spotlight next month!

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s version!

6 Likes

This could be real fun!
I’ll draw something new but here’s my Mxyzptlk as he appeared on Lois and Clark played by Howie Mandel and my Bat Mite meeting his end at the claws of Eagly from Peacemaker:

17 Likes

Looks great! And happy DCUniversary @ImpulseMaxMercury!

7 Likes

Thanks!
Wow where does the time go? Didn’t even realize it was my anniversary!

8 Likes

Happy Anniversary @ImpulseMaxMercury :tada:

10 Likes

Happy DCUI Anniversary @ImpulseMaxMercury! :partying_face: Fantastic artwork as always - love your Eagly! :eagle:

8 Likes

Bat-Mite!

And Mxy

17 Likes

Happy Anniversary :tada::gift::birthday::balloon:

7 Likes

Loving those expressions! :metal:

7 Likes

Hey, we must’ve joined just a day after each other! Happy Anniversary!

I remember that Eagly (poor Bat-Mite!).

9 Likes

These are awesome! Thanks for contributing to our little club!

Love the Bat-Mite ears!

8 Likes

Thanks guys​:grin:

I’m going to start working on an ambush bug soon

8 Likes