DC Fan Art Club: October 2023 Spotlight - The House of Mystery, Elvira and The Creeper

It’s spooky season @DCFanArtClub! I dug through the depths of DC’s catalog to find some characters that would be appropriate for Halloween that we haven’t drawn before. I hope this trio will provide a good amount of fun and fright.

House of Mystery Logo

First up is The House of Mystery! You are certainly welcome to draw the house itself, but I’m thinking more about its caretaker — Cain.

The House of Mystery comic dates back to the 1950s, but Cain first appeared in issue 175 in 1968. He was the ‘able caretaker’ of the house and introduced the stories that would run in each issue. Over the years, he appeared in several DC comics and, most notably, became a recurring character in Neil Gaiman’s Sandman.

Artistically, many legendary artists contributed to the House of Mystery and it even contained Bernie Wrightson’s first professional work in 1969. The image in the header of this post and the ‘Return to the House of Mystery’ cover below are both by Wrightson.

Elvira Logo

Keeping with the House of Mystery theme, next up is Elvira! The horror hostess had her own DC series in 1986 where she actually moved into the House of Mystery. She was tasked with locating the missing Cain and took over the role of introducing the stories in each issue.

Elvira is portrayed by Cassandra Peterson and her television and movie history began in the 1980s and has had several revivals over the years. She started as the host of Elvira’s Movie Macabre and still makes appearances today.

She’s spooky, she’s campy and she embodies both the fun and fright sides of Halloween.

Last up is The Creeper. He is Jack Ryder and was created by Steve Ditko and Don Segall all the way back in 1968. His solo series are not here on DCUI, but you can see his ‘1st Issue Special’ right here.

The Creeper’s history has changed vastly over the years and has become darker with each iteration. He started as someone wearing yellow makeup and ended up, during ‘the new 52’, as a host to a demon. I like to remember him somewhere in the middle where he had superhuman strength, a healing ability and a maniacal laugh which he used to intimidate his foes.

Artistically, I’ve always liked the classic look with the yellow skin, green hair, red sheepskin cape and the weird green striped shorts (why shorts??).

You can check out a CBR article about the character’s history below.

Creeper cover

Post your thoughts and work in the thread below and thanks for being a part of the art club here at DC Universe Infinite!

Due Date: October 31, 2023 (the best day of the year!?!)

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Also, October is the month for Inktober and the newly minted Drawtober. Check out the links below for daily topics to draw.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

16 Likes

Sounds Awesome™:+1: may have some ideas already​:thinking:.

6 Likes

I might be able to pull off a pretty neat Creeper. Also he has abs!! :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

A few month ago I’ve made the Creeper out of Minecraft, that was so much fun to make. Can’t wait to see everybody’s artwork of him! :smiley:

6 Likes

Didn’t realize that Elvira has had 3 different companies make comics with her likeness.

6 Likes

I know Dynamite has created some recent comics. Who’s the 3rd company?

6 Likes

Claypool comics.

5 Likes

Sounds awesome! I gotta get working :writing_hand:

7 Likes

Made Cain (And his brother)

13 Likes

Very nice! And got extra credit, too! :metal:

7 Likes

Thank you :grin::purple_heart:

7 Likes

Awesome! Love the little glasses!

7 Likes

Here is my rendition of The Creeper. I hope y’all like it!

16 Likes

Wow, you’ve got talent! Awesome job!:smiley:

4 Likes

Great work!

4 Likes

Thank you!! It’s just years of practice and a love for the medium masquerading as talent. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Thank you!:pray:

4 Likes

Really great work as always. He’s giving off a lot of Joker vibes here.

Perfect for Halloween.

4 Likes

Wow that definitely gave me goosebumps! Very nice work :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you! :pray:

Honestly, I really never heard of the creeper until now and maybe in some animated shows. So, I went with the image you used as reference for this month’s subject matter. I think the joker vibes are correct, cause that is the kinda thing I was going for since it is Halloween upcoming.

PS:
Just realized he is a hero a couple days ago after I started the drawing. I thought he was a villain and that may be another reason for the joker vibes.

3 Likes