DC Fan Art Club: Monthly Challenge, January 2021

For as much as things like Batman Beyond and TDKR are “future” Gothams and good works in their own right, I always imagine a much more Gothic future along the lines of (a less apocalyptic) Vampire Hunter D. I’ve been in love with Amano’s artwork since seeing it featured in Final Fantasy V and VI when I was a teenager, and saw Vampire Hunter D shortly after. One of my favorite artists from anywhere!

2 Likes

Absolutely agree! There’s something sleepy and depressing but also really tense and scary about the future in VHD. And the gothic overtones are very gotham :ok_hand: I love Amano too, his work is so beyond imaginative it blows my mind

2 Likes

One of my absolute favorites. I toyed with this idea but am so glad someone is tackling it!

1 Like

I’m torn between trying the funky pop-art style of Atsushi Ōkubo…

Or the incredibly ornate (:scream:) pretty-people style of Yana Toboso…

1 Like

Both are beautiful in totally opposite directions, you could go all in an combine them somehow!? Depending on the character it could be cool, like magic users or showing different multiverse. (Or is it omniverse now?? Idk what dc canon is doing rn​:sweat_smile:)

1 Like

I haven’t known what the canon has been doing since about 2004, so it’s all good :sweat_smile: And thank you for the idea! I have absolutely no idea who I’m in the mood to draw. Once I figure that out, I guess I’ll take it from there

1 Like

I feel that. Both on the DC canon and not knowing what I feel like doing :sweat_smile:

1 Like