DC Fan Art Club: Monthly Challenge, January 2021

@CynicalPink Thanks yes I can definitely see that. Manwha style has changed a lot too over the years. When they started going online and the start of webtoon a lot of new artists came in and, what I see, took that japanese anime style and made it their own. And I’m sure I took in that style too once I started consuming it. Just a bunch of lovely cross-pollination! :sunflower::honeybee:

@RobArt471 ur too kind :see_no_evil: also I’ve seen the first episode of that but I don’t remember that being an aspect! Did I just zone out?? Lol Anyway If you recomend it I’ll have to go back and continue :+1:

2 Likes

Nah, the first occurrence happens at the end of the first episode without explanation of what actually happened. It is kinda like Lost. You have to figure it out as you go for the first few episodes. Very fun show.

2 Likes

Oooh ok yeah I’ll definitely go back and watch, he was pretty bad ass :metal:

2 Likes

Thank you for the rec!

1 Like

Me: I love this challenge!! I have the most awesome idea!! And i will do it all on my new graphics tablet…
1 week later… Still teaching myself on how to do layers…

4 Likes

This is the first attempt I have had at drawing anything in about 20 years. On top of that challenge, this is the first picture I have drawn using a tablet. I am using Autodesk Sketchbook which has a lot of options that I am excited to experiment with. My own take away from this picture is that I need to re-learn how to draw faces. If there are any better-drawing apps on Android I am all ears! On top of that, I have also purchased How to Draw Comics The (other comic company name here) Way! On top of that, I picked up Jimmy Palmiotti’s Basic Training Inking which is currently free on PaperFilms.com.

5 Likes

great capture of natural body posture! i’m glad you’re getting back into drawing!

4 Likes

Thank you! I have been sketching the past few days and decided to actually draw something as opposed to the circles and cubes that would in theory be the base of a person.

3 Likes

Nice line work and your proportions look right on! Very nice for such a long break! I was on a long drought myself(15 years), until finding this fantastic club of amazing artists April of last year. Best thing that happened to me all pandemic.

Welcome to the club!!

4 Likes

Thanks! I will admit that I was using multiple layers. There was a layer with “pencil” work that is rough to look at to say the least. Then I added a second layer and was able to “ink” the lines to where it actually looked somewhat decent.

3 Likes

Basically the same effect, I am a pencil and paper person. Just like the feel of it. I taught my daughter the layering process when I got her a drawing tablet and she uses it the same way. Sometimes I wish I liked it, cause it seems way faster than scratching the old graphic and erasing.

2 Likes

You’ve got a great eye for proportions for someone who hasn’t drawn in 20 years! DOn’t forget you can drop it off at the submission thread, too, if you’d like: Monthly Art Challenge: January Submission Thread. がんばって! - Fan Creations - DC Universe

I’m glad you’re getting back into drawing, too! Hope you join us more often :slight_smile:

3 Likes

good grief… .I can’t find the post where I said I’d share some tutorials on layers with you and the others. I’ll update the “official” tutorials thread this weekend :scream:

2 Likes

haha! I thought this was the submission thread! Doh!!!

2 Likes

I use autodesk too mostly because I have it on my phone and I plan on switching between the two (doodle at work, finish at home). I tried Krita, which is a very powerful app as well, but I found it difficult to use on my tablet.

3 Likes

Oh, I am another one that took a long hiatus from drawing. Couldn’t think of anything to draw, or find the time, or insert excuse here. So happy I found this group, the weekly and monthly challenges really kicked in my motivation, not to mention the excellent community.

3 Likes

lol it was in the sketch dump thread.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome. I’m in the same boat as you are. I drew a lot back in the late 90s and have just gotten back into it using a tablet. I posted some old throwback stuff and am determined to keep up with the weekly and monthly challenges.

3 Likes

One overambitious Yoshitaka Amano imitation coming up!

EDIT: Could have done a Yoji Shinkawa-styled Deathstroke but that would basically be drawing Big Boss.

2 Likes

andy

I literally came in here to recommend Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust which I’m watching at this very moment because it’s beautiful and gives me Batman vibes. :sweat_smile: :raised_hands:

note

And for anyone unaware Amano is responsible for the beautifulness of Vampire Hunter D

2 Likes