DC Fan Art Club: March 2024 - Grodd, Zod and Dodds

Hi @DCFanArtClub and say hello to the law offices of Grodd, Zod and Dodds. They are here to handle all of your animal, alien and sleeping gas related needs!

OK, not really, but sure sounds like a bunch of lawyers, doesn’t it?

Once I decided on Grodd and Zod, I went looking for something that rhymes to round out the list. Luck would have it that all three are appearing in current comics.

Gorilla Grodd first appeared way back in 1959(!!) and has been an adversary of several generations of the Flash family. He’s a super strong gorilla with a genius intellect who can control your mind. Most of the time he is not very fond of humans.

Hey, look, a bird’s eye view!

He’s had a lot of different looks. Sometimes he’s just a gorilla, sometimes he has full helmet and armor and, in the latest Flash series, he has this funky new visor.

However you draw him, keep in mind gorilla proportions of a big upper body, long arms, short legs and radiating strength.

For Zod we aren’t going to limit ourselves to just the General. All of the House of Zod is in play!

Primarily that consists of Dru-Zod (aka General Zod), his partner Ursa, their son Lor-Zod and their frequent companion Non.

Maybe best know from the movie Superman 2, their comic book appearance changed to resemble the actors over the years. The whole family has spent time in the Phantom Zone, but you could say he’s just looking out for Krypton and its legacy. Maybe the House of El has it all wrong and we all just need to ‘Kneel Before Zod’!! :exploding_head:

Zod Ursa Non

Rounding out the list this month is Wesley Dodds, the Sandman (Golden Age version).
He is appearing in a brand new limited series available right here on DCUI.

At his core, he is a guy in a business suit, fedora and gas mask who has dreams with visions of future crimes. His gas mask protects him from the effects of his sleeping gas gun which generally knocks out the bad guys around him.

His latest look is kind of slick and there are all kinds of opportunities for creepy visuals when you throw in the green mist of the sleeping gas.

Let’s see how we can make a World War I era gas mask look cool!

Post your thoughts and work in the thread below and thanks for being a part of the art club here at DC Universe Infinite!

Due Date: March 31, 2024

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

Grodd animated

13 Likes

Fun theme. Always enjoy drawing animals so Grodd sounds fun. Always wanted to draw Zod and have some time dead for Dodds.

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever drawn a gorilla before, so I started with a Grodd portrait.

9 Likes

Nice details in the face and the fur is really well done. :metal::metal:

4 Likes

Looks awesome™:+1:
Great expression.

2 Likes

Made my Grodd really wanted to work on fur with this one. Body came out a bit wonky but like how it came out overall.

8 Likes

The fur really does have great texture to it. Also, very awesome teeth!

4 Likes

This is awesome. The fur is amazing in its detail. Great work! :metal::metal:

3 Likes

Thanks​:+1:
Always enjoy drawing monstrous Teeth

3 Likes

2 Likes

“Kneel before Zod.”

8 Likes

Great likeness! Too bad he wasn’t bulletproof in Young Guns.

3 Likes

Gorilla Grodd!!

9 Likes

I love how vicious he looks

2 Likes

The Flash just stole his bananas!:banana:
Really, thank you! :pray:

3 Likes

I always enjoy when you draw a likeness. This is spot on!

5 Likes

There’s a lot of strength and power in that Grodd!

Also nice fur and fangs. Did you use a brush to get that fur effect?

4 Likes

Thank you very much! I always perceived Grodd being a very physically imposing character, but with the added dimension of his mental prowess. Complicated character and very cleverly created imho.

Yeah, I used an ink brush pen to get the fur textures. I did some testing on some scrap paper first, as I have never done that before. Heck, this is my first ever gorilla. I used photo references for him. I just didn’t like any of the comic references I found.

5 Likes

Zod has some really complicated armor! I took the design from the 2018 Superman series.

9 Likes

I was thinking the same thing about his design. Not quite ready for it this week after completing Grodd. Although, I think you did it justice. The lines flow nicely in the armor, which is SO hard to match up at times. Then you give us a worm’s eye view to make it that much better! :metal::metal::metal:

3 Likes