DC Fan Art Club: March 2024 - Grodd, Zod and Dodds

Looks awesome™:+1:
Captured his likeness greatly.

3 Likes

Awesome™:+1:
Great teeth and nice with the fur. Also cool with the armor

3 Likes

Very awesome™:+1:
Great angle pose colors effects the whole thing.

4 Likes

Here’s my Zod

Didn’t come out exactly as I wanted but had fun messing around on this one.

8 Likes

Thanks @RobArt471 and @NYJt3! This one didn’t quite come out as I pictured it in my head.
I had envisioned a much more extreme angle, but then it all kind of flattened out when I added the armor details.

May give it another try later :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice glowing eyes! Is that his cape next to him or is it Ursa’s hair blowing in the wind?

4 Likes

I always love your colors. Wish I had the coloring talent. :metal::metal:

3 Likes

Thank you! You know when I saw yours I thought, “We must’ve been using the same reference”. Mine was a photo reference I found view google images.

2 Likes

It’s his cape looping in the wind.

3 Likes

Thanks​:+1:
And yeah saw the similarities :sweat_smile:
My references was of Kong Roaring from skull island I found on google.

4 Likes

When I looked for references of Grodd, he was always displayed as angry. I liked his portrayal on the Flash show where his intelligence was sometimes also showcased.
Similar to (I believe) @RobArt471 comments, I looked at real gorilla pictures for reference.
Here he is in a quiet moment, thinking about his next chess move.
However, he is not completely innocent as it appears a hero is trapped in a container in his lair, with only silhouette seen and the slight outline of lightning on boots.

This was also my first time using different pencils rather than just relying on one type.

9 Likes

I think the real-world reference for gorillas is the way to go (I actually did the same thing too).

The emotion you have in his eyes and the fur effects are really great here. Well done!

5 Likes

OK, I realized quickly that drawing a gas mask and a fedora can be quite complicated.
I think I made it look pretty cool here, but I’m never quite comfortable drawing hats.

I wasn’t thinking it before I started, but the green fog is just in time for St Patrick’s Day!

10 Likes

I think you did quite well with the gas mask and fedora - it works great! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some really great pencilling techniques you are showing off here. The fur is outstanding and shading around the face. :metal::metal:
I agree he is shown savage and thoughtful, which is why he is a cool character imho. Glad to see both represented in the art we all have done.

4 Likes

Dang it, I was thinking of having him in fog too!! I haven’t started yet, so I can pivot. :joy:
Really nice work on the hat and mask. You didn’t take the easy way out either by using the fog to obscure it. I also like the overall composition.:metal::metal:

3 Likes

Thanks @LastSon0fMars and @RobArt471!

There’s always more room in the fog! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

5 Likes

Looks awesome™:+1:
Really great with the face and expression. Also nice fur

4 Likes

Awesome™:+1:
Nice shading with the mask.

3 Likes

Here’s my Sandman
Fun drawing him. Liked how the lenses came out and had fun with the smoke.

10 Likes