DC Cuts Ties With Diamond Comics

@AlexanderKnox Yes I thought about how I could lose my print collection too.

@moro Yeah I know the app is going strong and all that. But I’m wanting to go digital for financial reasonings and stuff like that. I want to read many of comics from DC and other companies but the price of pshyical collections makes it a little harder and digital wise I might be able to achieve that a little better.

2 Likes

Price wise, you can’t ho wrong with a subscription here. What follows that is buying collected editions from Comixology during their frequent fire sales. If you must stay current and want to go digital (like me) then you’re paying full price on Comixology.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s literally possible to find a better deal in all of comics than DCU.

Be it monthly or annually, DCU beats the other options quite handily.

7 Likes

Agreed. Comixlogy is probably one of the best comic apps out there. It can be pricey as you’ve stated. But at the same time it’s the app to find almost everything and your not pirating nothing.

2 Likes

That’s why there’s home insurance to cover losses. No insurance for digital.

But do you think it would really be easy to replace every single issue in your collection after they help to burn your house down? Would you be satisfied with replacing some of the issues with an affordable trade rather than having to invest time tracking down every single one? And if you attach sentimental value to some of them (which I would certainly hope you would if you’re hoarding a whole attic full of them or whatever), is there any real way to replace them?

My original long boxes were a tie to my early youth, a reminder of halcyon days before a time of familial and economic turmoil. I still ended up giving them away (with maybe a dozen or so exceptions) because I realized that they took up more space than they were worth.

All of this to say that I’m glad DC cut its ties with Diamond because…because…on topic discussion…?

3 Likes

It really depends on the person. I met a guy at a comic shop who was looking for all the issues of Fantastic Four. He told me he had collected all the issues before & sold off his collection twice. He liked collecting & searching for the issues. There’s all kinds of people in this type of hobby. If my collection burned, I’d start over again, but I’d be more selective.

2 Likes

I often can’t get the things I’d like to be able to collect. There is one omnibus I’d love to be able to get but even though cover price is $150, most places that seem to have it at all want 500-900 for even a used copy. It’s just insane. DC should seriously reprint some of those omnibus editions to cut down on the price gouging.

4 Likes

I agree!

1 Like

Most of my original long boxes were lost either in moves or due to flooding. I also gave away lot of issues. Over the years I recollected a few choice issues or series out of nostalgia more than anything else but mostly I replaced things I lost with trades instead. They take up less room than all the long boxes I once had and make it easier for me to find certain issues when I need a reference or want to read something.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever been in a conversation, other than the last week or so, where a customer was so concerned about who the middle-man is between provider and retailer. Usually customers care about stuff like brand, quality, appearance, customer service at the store they visit, price, etc. Us comic book geeks? We dig deep :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah. Not so much.

Turns out the the insurance company who covers your loss won’t value those comics like you do or even at market value. 10 long boxes in my garage lost in a flood in 1995. I got around $50 per box and don’t get me started on trying to find replacements.

So, with no LCS within 100 miles, I’m 95% digital these days.

3 Likes

I’m for it!

1 Like

I feel bad for the brick and mortar stores that will be negatively affected by this, but from what I’ve heard it’ll mostly just be a growing pain. I spoke to the comic shop that ships me my comics, and they didn’t seem to be bothered at all by it since they already had an account with the new distributors

3 Likes

Can be pricey, but also can be very cheap. Around holidays they usually price them way down. I rarely pay more than $2 and usually $1 or less per individual issue. Prior to CU or DCU, I bought most of my digital comics and have a sizable digital collection. I just wait until they go on sale and then buy a ton of them.

Not too worried about losing them. Comixology is now owned by Amazon and they continue to provide access to purchased digital even if those comics are now off the market. Independent comics are very often available to download from Comixology.

1 Like

I can see why your not worried about Comixlogy shutting down.

1 Like

Shounen Jump is offering over 10,000 issues for $1.99 per month. Which could be a better deal, you ignored the non-comics content.

That was 25 years ago. I’m sorry for your loss, but there’s Flood insurance and house insurance. There’s different policies. House burning down might be different than getting flooded.

I switched to short boxes. It’s too difficult now to move & lift long boxes.

Lol. I had flood insurance & house insurance. I even had a replacement cost add-on. Helps with furniture, appliances and such but not comics.

I lived in S. La. for most of my life so good insurance was a must for any homeowner and flood insurance was a requirement for your mortgage. I’ve since moved from flood concerns to fire concerns in the mtns of Co.

You can get riders for things like jewelry and firearms but there isn’t really a rider for comics. You can get a rider for books in general, but all it does is increase the payout on a per pound basis. Still won’t come close to covering your loss. You can also buy specialty insurance for collectables, but unless you have a Fantastic Four #1, it isn’t worth it. Very, very expensive.

Although that was 25 years ago, I still buy insurance today and, out of neccessity, kinda understand the business. You get your butt kicked by a disaster once, you learn.

Bottom line today, you still lose your collection. Period. If its gone, its simply gone. And, unless you pay a fortune, you won’t even get the true value of your comics in a loss.

2 Likes