DC Cuts Ties With Diamond Comics

Sort of off topic. I’m afraid of losing my print collection in similarly to what happened to you 25 years ago. But at the same time I’m like that with my digital stuff I bought. But at the end like you said if you lose it you just lose it.

2 Likes

Not sure where you have your information on manga from. Yes, most of what we see in the US has very similar art styles, but they do have a great variety. We just don’t get to see most of it. It would pretty much be like saying US comics only does a standard superhero style. Even there you see variantions which you’ll also see in manga.

Also while they don’t really do single issues like in the US they do a lot of anthologies which is basically their version of the monthly US comics. The indicidual stories from many of these are later collected in a smaller format than they were originally published in, as that enables you to keep more in a smaller space. The anthologies are for the most part considered disposable, and if you want to keep something you get the collections.

The variety of themes is also a lot more diverse than US comics.

This is not based on first-hand experience so I might have gotten some details slightly off, as I’ve never been much of a manga fan myself, but I do have a friend who spent a number of years in Japan and was very much into manga, so heard him talk about the Japanese comics scene a few times.

1 Like

I too have a friend who’s heavy into Manga. He’s also a comic book writer & knows his info. We’ve had discussions on the differences of American Comics & Mangas.

I wish shops could have been notified or given a discounted period to adjust for the losses this will cost them. Can’t say I know of a single shop this move helps them which ultimately hurts readers as well.

1 Like

My point was simply that while Manga in the US for the most part a somewhat similar are of a certain similar style the mangas in Japan are a lot more diverse. You even have DIY mangas on gardening and what have you on top of all the more mainstream stuff, just as you in the States have a market that is dominated by superheroes but if you look at the indies you’ll get a lot more diversity, both in art and content.

Personally, I just love superheroes and the worldbuilding done in these shared universes, so while I’ve read some good manga and some great indie comics I always keep coming back to the superheroes.

2 Likes

The only 2 “shops” that it helps is DCBS & Midtown, because they own the the other distributors. It essentially hurts everyone else to a degree.

The optimist in me would like to believe that before signing up with DC, all parties involved came to a mutually agreed upon, legally binding agreement over a very well defined separation of their distribution arrangements and their own business interests wherein one will not conflict with the other, nor can they conflict with any other retailer’s arrangement/interests, lest they run the risk of facing severe legal penalties.

Now granted, sometimes folks sign agreements and then ignore them, but I’d like to believe all parties involved are playing by the rules and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

1 Like

You own a comicbook store?

1 Like

Thankfully my LCS officially announced they are going with one of the new distributors and will continue selling DC comics. They don’t sound necessarily thrilled with it but they are making the change. I was a bit worried there so that’s a relief.

3 Likes

I just read an interview with Image Comics Publisher CCO Eric Stephenson. Not that he has any reason to be supportive, but he was scathing in his criticism of DC’s move. He compared it (unfavorably) to Marvel self distribution in the 90’s. He seemed particularly critical of the timing. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Have to admit the timing is horrendous.

2 Likes

Yeah. I keep quiet about this kinda stuff here cause I’m scared, but I think it’s bad form. Could’ve waited a few months. Just me.

2 Likes

I saw that interview; very unprofessional of him

2 Likes

Maybe, but this is a small industry. He’s going to have feelings.

While I hate to hear of the negative impact it could be having on LCS, many Americans don’t have access to them. Makes sense with 97% of the USA being rural. I bought a LOT of my comics from a spinner rack at Borders until the early 2000’s. Thank baby Jesus the internet happened so I could order online when they shut down.

Since then I’ve lived in major cities and not so major cities all over the place. I’ve gone between having plenty of access (Chicago, Milwaukee) to not so much access (Canton, NC anybody?). I prefer ordering online nowadays. Maybe if local bookstores had spinner racks again…

I feel for the LCS. Maybe I’m in the minority, but it has absolutely zero impact on my reading habits living where I live now.

3 Likes

From what I hear, many of the complaints about the new retailers are BS being made by a claque of schmucks who don’t even want to attempt anything outside their comfort zones. They fear change.

3 Likes

It’s an online store. I do have a Diamond account for now. I’m looking to suspend it until I make more money to maintain their minimum. I just got a UCS account. I put in my first order of DC books through them. So I’ll be prepared once Diamond is no longer offering new DC books.

2 Likes

I heard about this a few days ago. To say his remarks were petty is an understatement.

He seems pissed that DC isn’t sticking it’s head in the ground along with the other publishers and acting like everything’s still hunky dory, despite the fact that they all grumble about Diamond.

How dare DC see that continued reliance on one distributor is problematic and that they institute steps to prevent any further backlogs in product releases as well as have backup plans in case of any future shipping issues, big or small! You tell 'em, Image!

Heavy sarcasm aside, I’m sure he knows that DC and Diamond still have their UK partnership through the end of the year. That should satisfy the rest of the herd at least.

3 Likes

It’d be great if this move meant that comics would be available in a wider variety of places again, but I’m not holding my breath about that. It sucks living in a smaller town in a rural area and having limited to no access without traveling a good distance out of town to even find a tiny selection. Shopping online just isn’t the same as being able to browse. (even if it weren’t for the pandemic keeping shops closed)

2 Likes

I’ve read here and there about how DC has strengthened their partnership with Penguin Random House, and how the theory behind that increased partnership is that PRH might start distributing DC’s product in channels it’s currently not widely (if at all) available in, but used to be, such as grocery stores, drug stores, convenience stores and the like, perhaps even expanding into school-based reading programs and sales channels.

While it’s all seemingly just rumors right now, it does make me hopeful that DC is going to prioritize product being available in new (or newly returned to) outlets.

The more outlets DC can utilize to increase awareness and availability of their products, the better, especially in areas that have no comic stores.

7 Likes

The more outlets DC can utilize to increase awareness and availability of their products, the better, especially in areas that have no comic stores.

You would think that having comics available everywhere, would be a smarter strategy than keeping them only in specialty shops. I would find that doubly true when it comes to comics targeted at younger readers. Even book stores are getting harder to find in most areas. Getting comics into grocery stores and big box stores where the foot traffic is would go a long way toward getting them out there again. They could also look into working with companies like Scholastic to market storybooks and trades aimed at elementary and middle school aged kids. Those school book sales and book fairs are big business.

2 Likes