DC Cuts Ties With Diamond Comics

Sadly its hip to bash DC, no matter what

1 Like

An update on this situation from today. Looks like weā€™ll be waiting a little longer to get a better sense of DCā€™s long-term distribution plans

1 Like

A podcast that i listen to, Geek Dome Podcast, has a lcs owner as co host. He believes that this is the first step in DC going totally digital, AT&T maximizing profits while looking to sell DC, or marginalizing the comics as lthey are nothing more than an ip farm for the movies. He is partnering with a couple other lcs to on demand order DC from now on.

Sounds like conspiracy theory/overreaction to me

Hereā€™s a great panel of retailers who agree with me: Retailer Roundtable Episode 12 - The Creator's Corner

1 Like

I agree with every word.

Back when DC cutting ties with Diamond was a rumor, I saw some mention of Scholastic as a potential partner. I was excited at that idea, as Scholastic has a ton of reach to kids.

I imagine Random House has alot of reach towards kids too, so Iā€™m still optimistic as to what they can continue to do for DC.

2 Likes

So today a new Previews came out with no DC to order. My shop is going with one of the other distributors to continue getting DC but does anyone know how the customers are supposed to place their orders with their LCS for DC? My shop seemed uncertain right now on the procedure.

I could take it or leave it as a customer. I donā€™t know of the long term impact it has on me. However Iā€™ve spoken at length with my retailer and he is very upfront with me about the extra hoops this has created that will need to get ironed out. Itā€™s definitely created some big issues up front for a lot of retailers having to reorder stuff that was already ordered for customers through Diamond before the shutdown.

I know a short term impact itā€™s had on me. The only DC comics I pick up at retail are Black Label books and the occasional anniversary specials that have been dropping. Several of the Black Label books have straight up just not been received by numerous shops.

My shop has still not received my copies of Hellblazer #6, Strange Adventures #2, and The Question #3. Itā€™s annoying because I look forward to these and they are all I read physically from DC.

I believe youā€™re supposed to fill out the last page in this catalog and give it to your shop. They should have hard copies of it (I think).

https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/452762

2 Likes

Thanks very much for that info!!

1 Like

DC Connect is digital-only, but you are right about the last page.

2 Likes

Sorry, I should probably keep my digital nose where it belongs :joy:

2 Likes

Nevah! Put your nose where you chose and, on occassion, smell a rose! :rose:

3 Likes

Most of my titles are DC (I think I only get Conan and Ghost Rider from Marvel) my FLCS is telling people to just order over Comixology for the time being as they canā€™t support the costs of using multiple distributors. They are hopeful they can get DC back on their shelves by the holiday season but that all depends on return traffic for the other publishers and collectables post pandemic lock-down.

Fingers crossed my FLCS is has a great community and wonderful staff. They did their damnedest to keep the hope over Discord and Facebook these last few months ā€¦ and on a selfish note the other LCS is 40 minutes away and is corporate as hell.

1 Like

I talked to the guy at the LCS today. It has been a headache for him. He was saying how the site crashes everytime he tries to put in an order. One thing DC is doing to make the transition easier is to not have any books out next week. Hopefully, it all gets straightened out sooner than later.

1 Like

Thanks! I took a screenshot of that last page and will try to print it. Hopefully it prints well and I can just check off what I want and turn it into my LCS.

1 Like

Just to clarify for anyone curious, there are new releases next week, but the only thing comic stores would get is new trades (Nightwing: Year One Deluxe Edition, Red Hood: Outlaw v3, etc), as the majority of next weekā€™s releases are Digital First books, along with the digital-only (as far as itā€™s single issue release goes) finale of Supergirl.

Friendly FYI for anyone anticipating something new next week. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is what I sort of figured. I donā€™t think my store is ordering trades at this moment unless a customer special orders it or if they are the DC Ink titles because those things sell like hotcakes!

1 Like

Iā€™m making the move to digital reading. Mainly for financial budget reasonings

3 Likes