DC Book Club Vol. I - JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY (2018)

Hey there, everyone! It’s my first time on here so let’s hope I say the right stuff lol. So, first off, I really enjoyed Snyder’s run on the series. He writes some great character interactions and it gives me some nice animated series vibes. Jorge Jimenez’s art style is just beautiful. He draws expressions so well and creates some great action scenes. I also think the scale he draws at is massive sometimes which is something I appreciate. Speaking of the animated series vibes, the voices I heard while reading this were straight up the animated series cast. Especially Batman, Kevin Conroy all the way. Lastly, I think the comedy adds so much to the story. I think comedy is necessary in team ups and it balances the gargantuan stakes quite well. So, those are my two cents, guys! Can’t wait to experience more of the Book Club!

7 Likes

I have read the first issue of this before but I never went back to read the rest. So this is a great start for me in this book club.

My Hawkgirl knowledge is mostly JLU based, so I’d love to read more of her. She is a fun character.

I assume early on in his Justice League career. But as for a specific storyline, I have no idea.

The obvious idea of them all using their Batman voices was hysterical. But just seeing the (arguable) most powerful people on the planet just joking around while saving the planet is almost always going to be funny to me.

It definitely adds to it. Snyder doesn’t cross into the ‘too much’ territory, which is good.

For most of them it is their animated voices from JLU. Though, recently, Flash’s voice has been more Grant Gustin for me.

Gorgeous. I love his art. He has a beautiful way of showing all the detail you need and then somehow more.

That panel of Joker behind Hawkgirl. It was completely unexpected and beautiful too. It captured to seriousness and surprise of that one moment perfectly. And, as I said, Jimenez’s art is amazing.

4 Likes

Absolutely! There’s no obligation and you can drop in and drop out whenever you like. Looking forward to discussing next month’s comics with you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@randi.chasteen.35965 - The humor is interesting to me in this series. I feel like there’s moments where things are getting super serious and the humor is there to cut through all of that. The main moment I’m thinking of is one of Bruce’s last lines in #8. “We’ll have to justice even harder.” Loved it!

@yesiamanerd - Sinestro is definitely quite a slippery character, I wasn’t particularly surprised by this either! What do you think is going to happen next?

@Arrow2911

I enjoyed this too. He systematically picked out the villains that would best oppose each of the Justice League members. Truly genius.

I didn’t know much about MM before this series, but it’s given me more of an appreciation for him. He shows a lot of his selfless personality in this series, but it also gets mixed in with his fear of the past/fire and the sheer confusion of what actually happened to his race.

Can you think of any artists within DC that create work that’s similar to Mr. Jimenez? I’d love to see more art in this style!

Sadly I always hear Bale as Batman, but Ben did a great job!

@NerdvanaMAN - Welcome to the community! We’re super happy to have you hear as part of the DC Book Club!

I noticed this too! There’s at least one of those incredible full page pieces of artwork for every comic that seamlessly blends all the panels together. It’s something I don’t remember seeing elsewhere!

Absolutely! It helps to take some of the weight off some of the moments in this series that are especially heavy. It’s done well and not overused!

Can’t wait to hear more of your thoughts! :slight_smile:

@Row.Harper - Glad to hear that we could get you to go back and give this series some more attention!

Honestly, we’ve all done this at some point in our lives. That made this moment even better for me.

I feel like The Joker looked truly insane in this panel. It was unnerving for me, but in a great way!

3 Likes

I agree with you both, when I turned the page and saw that, I knew immediately, it was my favorite panel yet. As I move through the other issues, I’m sure there’s gonna be a lot more moments to love.

My favorite funny moment so far, was Flash and Wonder Woman in the Invisible Jet, “You do realise they can see you, They just can’t see the jet.” and Barry’s response, “Why would it work like that?!”

7 Likes

We’ve all asked this question before! This moment got a giggle out of me.

6 Likes

Actually, can I go back and say this is my favorite funny moment? I love when Barry ‘The Science Guy’ gets confused/amazed by magic. It’s fun. But he is totally right. Why does it work like that? Doesn’t make sense.

5 Likes

Just finished reading issues #1-3. A great start to this run! I am excited to see where it goes, and what questions are going to be posted for issues #4-7!

I would say that I would like to learn more about Cyborg. I haven’t read many stories with him present, but I have really liked his character so far in these issues. Especially with how he stepped up in issue #3 to defend the rest of the team from a corrupted John Stewart.

I am not sure when he did this exactly, but I definitely enjoy how Batman is always prepared for almost any situation.

I thought everyone using their Batman voices in the first issue was funny and very entertaining.

I think it adds to the story. It gives all of the characters a more personal feel, and that they actually have a relationship to one another as part of the Justice League. Family vibes.

I usually read/hear the voices of the characters from the animated series. Those are my usual ‘go to’ tones/voices for most of the characters. Kevin Conroy as Batman. :smiley:

Jorge’s art style is fantastic. Great writing with amazing art definitely makes books like these an easy read.

I really liked the panel with the giant mutated Killer Croc. The detail was fantastic and really stood out to me.

5 Likes

Yes, you believe they’re work friends ribbing each other.

4 Likes

I enjoyed this scene too. There was a lot of anguish because of John’s condition and the general confusion of the situation, but Cyborg handled it well.

This sums it up perfectly!

The giant panels in this series were some of my favorites. The art is gorgeous!

5 Likes

Yes, he has such a distinctive voice and performance in S:TAS. As we’ll see tomorrow night during @Reaganfan78’s Superman Animated Series WAL party. Clancy Brown’s been in my head for years, LOL.

3 Likes

I loved issue one, all of them, but I love the humor. I love Wonder Woman saying “I’m the censored Wonder Woman” It’s so funny they’re teasing Batman, cause he’s all business. Batman is sorta funny sometimes, but serious, like when Lex asks him about the differences of them and Batman punches him with an " I still have my teeth".

The art & colors are killer !! And I hear the Justice League unlimited voices, as I read.

4 Likes

I’m really excited for this!

4 Likes

Okay here we go

• When did Batman plant bombs inside the moon?
    I just assumed it was when he built his lunar cave.

• Did you find any moments particularly funny?
    Batman- I’m… inside Clark’s body.
    Superman- to file under phrases never to be spoken again.

Supermans reaction is so perfect in that moment I lost it. Plus everyones Batman voice.

• Do you think the comedy takes away or adds to the series?
    Adds. It makes the characters feel more real to me. Plus let’s face it, you can’t take a book with a talking psychic gorilla holding a baby to serious without losing your suspension of disbelief.

• Do you hear any celebrity voices when you read the characters?
    It’s always Konroy and Hamill. Pretty much all the the voices from the animated series.

• How would you describe Jorge Jimenez’s art style?
    Dynamic and expressive. His art really comes to life.

• Did you have a favorite moment or panel of artwork? Why did that stand out to you?
    Definitely Joker behind Hawkgirl. I mean there were others Martian Space Dragon and Killer crocs transformation to name a few; but that joker image managed to capture everything about the character in one image.

There you go and I’ll see you again for issue #4

5 Likes

:laughing: Right? Oh boy, I remember my Brother-brand word processor.

Good times, good times.

5 Likes

Thanks for having this Book Club, it’s my first one and I’m new to DC Community, too! I’ve been a regular comic reader for about 12 years now but have slowed a little in the last few years. I’m using this club and DCUI to dive back in, and this first selection was a great choice!

I read this story arc when it first came out and admit I wasn’t very impressed with it; I felt Snyder was starting out of the gate way too big with a Universe-ending plot (it doesn’t get much bigger than that, where do you go from there?). But I’ve found myself enjoying it more this second time around!

Anyway, to the discussion!

“Did reading this story make you want to learn more about a member of the Justice League?”

Yes, John Stewart. I’ve read quite a few JS comics already, but I haven’t read much since Hal Jordan & GL Corps ended, so this reinvigorated my interest in him. Mostly what I have read has been recent publications, so I’d like to check out some older stuff, if anyone has any suggestions! I liked how this story referenced back to Xanshi (from Cosmic Odyssey, which you should definitely read if you haven’t!) I also like Martian Manhunter, so I’ll be looking for more of his comics soon, too.

“Do you think the comedy takes away or adds to the series?”

Snyder balanced the tense moments with quick jokes very well. There were plenty of moments that might be considered “over-the-top” (like blowing up the moon or Earth itself becoming a White Lantern) so getting the balance of a few quips was refreshing. There weren’t any moments where a joke was unnecessary or forced, and it gives more dimension to the team. While Batman doesn’t make many jokes, it rounds even his character when everyone else around him can joke and he reacts, like the running “I don’t sound like that” moments. Any time someone writes for JL (or any team book), you can judge how well they understand the team on their scenes of characters in casual moments, and I’d say Snyder gets this team pretty well.

Can’t wait for the next round of questions!

5 Likes

Just finished issue 1. I’m really enjoying this.

3 Likes

Humor helps ground the characters in reality. When the members of the League are engaged in playful banter about Batman’s voice, this helps establish the sense of community and friendship (shepherded by J’onn), which will provide the contrast to the challenges they face through this series.

4 Likes

I totally agree, LOVE the color usage in there.

We’re excited to hear that you’re excited! :orange_heart:

We are so happy to have you here, this place is filled with amazing DC loving people. If you ever have any questions, feel free to let us know! Now, onto the discussion… I can for sure understand where you are coming from with the “over-the-top” moments, and also agree that the humor gives more balance and adds dimension. Looking forward to hearing what your thoughts and opinions are in the next round!

We’re really glad to hear it and welcome you back to the community with open arms!

Welcome on in! We’re glad to have you here and excited that you’ve chosen to participate in the discussion. I could not agree more with what you’ve added above, I definitely think that the humor adds to the character relationships.

4 Likes

After 2 issues:
Can’t wait to read more of the story. Sounds like there may be some surprises in store for me. Sometimes the involvement with Sinestro is a double edged sword.

5 Likes