DC Book Club Vol. I - JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY (2018)

The art on the Martian Manhunter maxiseries is insane! I enjoyed reading that book.

5 Likes

Kryptonians and Martians alive, I would really love to see Jim Cheung do the covers and interiors on an entire arc of Justice League.

His work on The Totality was swell. I just wish he could have been more involved in it.

4 Likes

Man, now I’m picturing Amanda as Oprah and it’s hilarious. “You get a neck bomb, and you get a neck bomb! EVERYONE GETS A NECK BOMB!”

It kind of is in it’s own world, and it kind of isn’t. I can see a way where it sort of fits in the regular continuity.

8 Likes

You know Peg Bundy would have loved to have seen Oprah as Waller.

“Al, Oprah’s new movie is out!”

“Who cares?”

“There’s brain bombs and Harley Quinn!”

“I’ll drive!”

5 Likes

Oh man, now I’m picturing a Harley and Married With Children mash-up. :laughing:

6 Likes

Dibs on writing it!

whips out Brother-brand word processor, blows dust off it and gets to writin’

5 Likes

I’ve always said that Martian Manhunter is the heart the of team. In this issue he really reminded me of Picard from Star Trek

7 Likes

Is it just me, or does everyone hear the Justice League Animated voices when reading these books?

6 Likes

Ahhhhh! runs to cancel order

Patiently waits to get cancellation email while reading MM:Identity on DCUI

Oh! Thanks for helping save my DC budget for other spectacular things, like all things Poison Ivy, @discordia57 and @Vroom!

6 Likes

Nope, not just you. :wink:

5 Likes

I can imagine why! I don’t know how many comics I’ve read over the years that MM was a part of, but the captivating way that Snyder & Jimenez portray him in just the first issue of The Totality alone have made me an instant massive fan.

8 Likes

Glad we got to you before it was too late! :smile:

4 Likes

Happy to be of service!

tips hat

That said, I understand the value of having certain things in print and digital, so if you want the print trade, go for it! Leaf your vines into whatever you like! :0_poison_ivy_tas: :slight_smile:

If you need a heads-up on Martian Manhunter toys, I know a guy who’s always happy to help. ‘Jes sayin’…:clark_hv_4:

5 Likes

I don’t think Oprah has the right disposition for Waller. Granny Goodness, though… let’s weaponize that sweetness.

8 Likes

Hi. I’m sorry but is it ok if I skip this month? I remember reading this and I think I’ll pass on rereading it. I think it’s just too close to when I last read it. I’m eventually going to reread all of Snyder’s work post-new 52. So I guess I’ll wait till then.

5 Likes

The beauty of a club is we can participate when we want/can. Plus, having read it not long ago, you can still join in the discussions, since you’re already acquainted with the material. :wink: :laughing:

3 Likes

…with a built-in daisy wheel printer!

3 Likes

I loved the humor, although I remember thinking during that first scene, in issue #1, “You guys do realize that Bruce is going to take great pleasure in beating each of your asses, individually, and with great enthusiasm, right?”

:sweat_smile: :rofl:

4 Likes

Just finished book #2 assigned.
Batman’s location inside was funny enough, but Lex is in there too. LOL
What is that head that is the Totality? I guess I will find out more in further issues.
The Sinestro event did not surprise me at all. That dude will try anything.

4 Likes
  • Did you have a favorite moment or panel of artwork? Why did that stand out to you?
  • Do you think the comedy takes away or adds to the series?
  • How would you describe Jorge Jimenez’s art style?
  • Do you hear any celebrity voices when you read the characters?

Overall, I enjoyed the story. I enjoyed Lex very strategically putting together his Legion of Doom and picking out those villains he felt were beneficial while removing those he knew wouldn’t work well. It shows how much of an evil genius Lex is. I very much appreciated the moments with Martian Manhunter. I feel he’s the glue of the League and is both very much valuable as well as needed.
I enjoyed the comedy in these issues. I felt it was very subtle and placed in when most needed. The right blend of humor in my opinion is like a well oiled machine.
The artwork was awesome. When it comes to me deciding on a comic book to purchase and read art is very much at the top as far as importance goes along with a great plot. The artwork Mr. Jimenez did caught my interest and I appreciate his work down to the finest detail.
When I read anything with Lex I can’t help but picture Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville in my head. He’s by far my favorite Lex Luthor of all time and I’m his biggest fan. And of course Ben Affleck as Batman lol.

5 Likes