DC at the Box Office Thread

I wonder if it will lose more than WW84 and The Suicide Squad. If so, ouch. Again, WW84 did have the handicap of COVID. TSS did as well, but I’d argue (Gunn did) the problem was more that WB released it on HBO Max at the same time. When other films, opening before TSS did better.

1 Like

Feel like we’re just beating a dead horse now, lol. But yesterday, Shazam finally failed to crack $100k. Finally into 5 digits a day.

1 Like

im so glad dc is finally making a come back in the box office

3 Likes

Welcome to the community.

Welcome to the community @NoodleMaster06.48264! :partying_face: Please let the moderator team know if you need anything! :popcorn:

1 Like

Well this is real bad for Shazam 2. The box office reports for Friday are in, and they do not mention it indicating nothing significant at all. Violent Night made 1,000 dollars so not good.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @NoodleMaster06.48264!

2 Likes

I saw the release dates for Superman Legacy and The Batman II are releasing less than three months apart. I think they are going to pull something by saying this when Batman II comes out.

“Batman fans, do not let Superman outgross your favorite hero.”

2 Likes

DAYUMN! Shazam dropped from #8 to #15 for the weekend, only pulling in $317k.

2 Likes

It lost over 1,700 theaters.

I’m annoyed, they’ve dumped it from a lot of theaters. Since they are going to dump, it appears Renfield from a lot of theaters and will be dumping other things (likely Dungeons & Dragons), it’s highly annoying. It’s not like it’s now playing at second run theaters or even at any discounts. It costs just as much, for the few theaters in town that are playing Shazam as are playing Super Mario in a screen next to it (or a few screen down the hall from it). As someone who worked in a movie theater when I was in school, of course, people are going to not be going to your theaters while you complain that your theater is going out of business when you do crap like this.

If you just depend on the people who go see movies on the first or even second weekend, you are really cutting yourself off from a lot of market place. Even lowly rated TV shows that get cancelled routinely have more people watching a random episode than saw, for example, the first or second weekend of Super Mario.

I thought the Keanu sequel was pretty much confirmed but he gave a recent interview where apparently it’s still not that certain. I appreciate the people who want the more classic Hellblazer/Vertigo version of John, but I enjoyed the movie and it’s had a lot of life and play on cable channels like USA/TNT/TBS/FX and the like, plus sales and rentals, that I’m confident with a good story, it could do well. But then again, while I didn’t expect Renfeld to make a billion dollars, I did expect it to do somewhere between Scream and Smile, not die an early death at the hands of Donkey Kong and Bowser.

Agreed, by and large, although I do care about good scripts and good stories and even if, for example, while not a great script, I think Fury of the Gods was both a better story and somewhat better script than Black Adam (which was a rote, trite story and a pretty reductive, predictable and boring script), the fact that one made millions more than the other didn’t impact that I did enjoy one a bit more than the other. That said, neither were as enjoyable as I wanted or expected.

The original Wonder Woman had script and story problems with the last third, and Aquaman was a bit more overstuffed than it should have been and I wished that Cereal Lord hadn’t been involved with DC Films when that was being developed so that Wan could have picked from better content, those are just two examples of films I’ve enjoyed much more and that worked better for an audience, which is also why I think they made far more money than any recent projects.

The last MCU movie I enjoyed was The Winter Soldier and chunks of Ragnorok (I’m not really counting the Spidey Sony movies as MCU, albeit the last one is the only one I really enjoyed). But the fact that I didn’t enjoy (and particularly the fact that I thought, in particular, Infinity War and Endgame were both florid nonsensical messes as stories and scripts didn’t keep them from making bank but that has a lot to do with the audience investment - and a huge audience at that - and that’s partially when DC has been far less successful).

They have to drop movies to focud on what makes money. On thursday Shazam 2 only averaged 35 dollars per theater.

Theaters will be fine.

Horrendous Monday for Shazam 2. It got less than 14,000 dollars and an average of 31 dollars per theater. More theaters will drop it.

I did not like the movie at all, but it sure should not be doing so awful. This performance is just pitiful.

I blame the studio for not delivering on the Mister Mind tease they gave us at the end of the first film. :bug:

3 Likes

I blame the movie creators for not using him.

2 Likes

The Flash will open in China on June 16th.

1 Like

Shazam FotG made less than 10,000 dollars yesterday with an average of only 20 dollars per theater. That theater count should shrink, and the odds of it even getting to 58M are getting lower and lower.

OOC: I had all these “insulting the ex” jokes ready for my Stargirl roleplay, but I only got around to using one, since they are just kicking a dog when he is dead at this point.

$63k at the box office for the weekend, ouch, lol. At #21. 6 weeks in and only $57.5 million domestically.

Anyways, @MatthewHecht What do you think? Think Mario might join the $1 billion club?

1 Like

Mario is guranteed to join the billion club. 1.5 billion is likely.

1 Like