DC at the Box Office Thread

The thread for discussing how our movies are performing financially.

4 Likes

Well we all know the new Shazam has to make $1 billion just to break even durp durp :crazy_face:

4 Likes

In reality 250 million might be enough. More likely with an expected horrible Chinese box office 300 million should do it.

3 Likes

I hear the production budget is anywhere from $100 - $125 million. Which is relatively cheap compared to most big superhero movies. Hell, BvS was $250!

It has no competition opening weekend. Scream VI and Creed III will drop. The first film opened to over $50 million. Scream VI opened last weekend to over $40 million. Assuming Shazam tracks the same way, it will definitely beat Scream VI. Especially since second weekend are usually, again, USUALLY about a 50% drop.

However, the following weekend is John Wick 4. That may be competition. People still care about these movies. I, personally, loved the second, was bored with the second one and stopped. They average about $34 million opening weekend. PLUS, I notice each one has opened better than the last one! And people seem genuinely psyched for John Wick, Shazam, eh, not so much. I will say I am part of that. I liked the first film. I don’t want the film to fail as part of cultish fan-boy troll war b/s. But watching the trailer, it looks so stock. I feel NOTHING. Plus…WHERE THE BLEEP IS MR. MIND!!!

3 Likes

Deadline and most reports say 125.

Scream getting around 19 million is most likely. So it should be the box office winner.

For upcoming competition it is John Wick from R rating, Dungeons and Dragons from PG-13 and Mario from PG Rating.

2 Likes

Shazam 2 opened with 3.4 million on Thursday previews.

2 Likes

Those were the worst DC numbers since Thursday previews became a big deal. Next worse was Birds of Prey at 4.1.

2 Likes

Estimates for opening weekend at worst seems to be like $35 million. So I think it’ll beat Scream VI.

D&D? I mean, I dunno. It may surpass it mainly due to timing really. Not much hype for it as far as I know or can tell. Plus, worst of all - this D&D is missing a key ingredient

4 Likes

This article from deadline is only a few hours old and has it at 30ish million. I find films normally make a little less than 10 times the Thursday previews, which again is less than 35 million (but probably makes stuff like 32 million the most likely).

If it does not beat Scream VI this weekend that is beyond worst realistic scenario.

My sisters are huge DnD nerds, so they are really pumped. The thing is unlike Shazam 2 which released its reviews as late as possible DnD released theirs weeks early, and they are very positive. Lots of good buzz has been building up. It has many signs of being a sleeper hit.

It probably helps that it is being praised as an old school adventure film.

1 Like

$30? OK, I was off cause I was referring to that.

But still! None of this? Then why bother…

3 Likes

:rofl: Chew that scenery, Simon Gruber/DCEU Alfred/TV Ozymandias!

2 Likes

My favorite is Smurf Lips.

2 Likes

I.E. Lex Luthor’s post-rave look.

2 Likes

I swear Marlon Wayans’ character was the film’s equivalent to Chris Tucker from The Fifth Element @MatthewHecht

2 Likes

Jeremy Irons doing Boris Karloff…

2 Likes

Chinese numbers are at around 1/6th the pace of the first film.

Japanese numbers are reportedly practically non existent. This movie is a huge failure with East Asian audiences, so hopefully the Western audiences out of the US are more interested.

1 Like

11.7 million opening day.

That is terrible.

1 Like

The director is accepting it a financial failure.

4 Likes

The biggest problem with it underperforming will be the Zack Snyder boot lickers

4 Likes

I really don’t get how a movies financial performance is indicative of its entertainment value. I saw the new SHAZAM last night. the wife and I absolutely enjoyed it.

7 Likes