DC at the Box Office Thread

Damn! OK, yeah I guess. For I noticed each weekend it’s drop ain’t even 40%. Hell, Evil Dead couldn’t even beat it. Granted, once GOTG 3 comes out next week, then it’ll have competition me thinks.

1 Like

I saw the new Shazam movie at home, streaming, and loved it as well.

I can see how, the price of something doesn’t necessarily equate to the worth… I mean, figure how much the new Shazam movie earned at the box office, take how many people liked it an paid to see it on opening night, vs people who waited to see it streaming at home, now, to those who are not that interested in it, and wait 10-20 years, and end up watching both in some bundle package service… an are seeing it for the first time and enjoyed it just as much as everyone else did on opening day.

what does any of that mean then ?

I dunno.

What I find odd, is how movie execs can find a computer program to crunch the numbers on any movie to get a ball park estimate on if it will be profitable or not in conjunction with the limited pre screenings they do.

It made less than 3,000 dollars yesterday.

1 Like

It is set to have the worst legs in DC history. To at least beat Watchmen it needs to have a final gross of at least $58,630,510. It is currently at $57,597,970 having finished its Tuesday reports, and it is averaging a very unimpressive 27 dollars per theater. It is almost certainly not catching Watchmen.

1 Like

No faith in Shazam?!?!?

I have confidence it will keep failing.

1 Like

By general rule of thumb this is what it has kept so far

Dom- 28,802,140

China- 1,500,000

International- 27,760,000

Total of 58,062,140. Most likely that does even match the Marketing budget.

Down to triple digits and 11 dollar average.

@MatthewHecht

So let’s move on from Shazam now - old news and nothing left to discuss.

THE FLASH!

I see opening two weeks before it is the Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. And opening one week ahead of The Flash is Transformers: Rise of the Beasts. Spider-Verse will be fair competition I think. Last one did good, it’s Marvel…yeah. Transformers…eh, not so much. The Bumblebee movie was almost 5 years ago. A modest success liked more than the Bay franchise but this much later? And not many are talking about it. Bay or not, this series still has that stigma attached to it unfortunately.

I say overall, The Flash has a good chance at #1 for opening weekend. It goes up against Elemental from Disney which has little to no promotion, which some have discussed. Sure there’s Little Mermaid first, I get it, but I keep forgetting it is even a thing. Disney puts more muscle behind all their established IPs. The other movie called The Blackening or something, some kinda horror movie. I doubt that is of any worry, lol.

1 Like

When it’s box office run is completely done and only then is when I will talk more about it.

The Flash should be number 1 is first two weekends. Anything less will be either a disaster or mean either Spider-Verse 2 is an insane hit or Transformers is a huge hit.

1 Like

Indy comes out next weekend after Flash though. Does it have a chance? I mean, people seem to love this legacy sequel crap, but they are not all guaranteed hits. Ghostbusters did…meh. Apparently good enough to warrant a sequel, soooooooo ok lol. The Matrix Resurrections - nope. New Candyman - nope! Plus, I’d imagine people may still have a bad taster in their mouth after the last Indy film.

No, Indy comes out 2 weekends after Flash.

Damn you for being right. But we all know The Flash doesn’t stand a chance against…
Harold and The Purple Crayon

1 Like

Box office projections for Flash are still-

“I have no idea.”

True

1 Like

I’m definitely going to see Spider-verse instead of The Flash.

1 Like

I mean it comes out two weeks prior soooooooo yeaaaaah

Looking at the competition for upcoming DC movies.

Flash on June 16th- two weeks before comes Across the Spider-Verse. This is projected to open to 70-80 million. It should no longer be a threat two weeks later, but it means many people will pick this superhero movie over the Flash. One week before is Transformers 6(?). It is projected to open at just under 70 million.

Opening the same day is Elemental, but that is just a limited release, and the tracking is not good. Flash should easily win opening weekend.

It looks like no big releases next weekend so it should easily win that too.

After that is the release of Ruby Gillman (I will probably borrow that from the library the first time I can) and Indiana Jones 5, so we all know who is winning that weekend. Just maybe Flash can come in second that weekend.

Blue Beetle comes out on August 18th. My boss has been testing this movie by asking people if they know who Blue Beetle is, and the results are not good.

Two weeks before is a limited release of The Meg 2 and TMNT. I really think TMNT will be a surprise hit and take plenty of BB’s attention.

The week before looks to have several dramas.

On its release week I now see BB is just a limited release, and it will compete with Lord and Miller’s Strays film. I do not think BB will win its opening weekend.

With how low August is I thought the schedule looked awful for BB until I saw there are no big releases then all the way until September 22nd. Maybe it and the competition can leg out.

That leaves Aquaman 2.

Wonka comes out on the 15th. Roald Dahl films always flop at the box office, so I think we are good.

On the same day comes Ghostbusters 4. Granted they are still filming it, so it might get delayed.

Two days after is Migration. It is made by Illumination, so we know that will be a big hit. After that I see nothing big until January 21st, so all these movies have time to leg out.

I just don’t know about Indy 5. These legacy sequels aren’t a guarantee. No doubt, many still have a bad taste in their mouth from Indy 4. Plus, one scene was kinda leaked from Indy 5 that will probably deride the film as woke/cancel culture or w/e.

1 Like

Opening weekend projected at 115-140 million.

1 Like