DC at the Box Office Thread

The actuals are not in yet, but supposedly it only made 1.4 million on Wednesday. I was previously thinking 2 million was a must.

1 Like

More bad news. Scream has passed Shazam for Thursday.

Total after one week is going to be 36.6 domestic and 71.2 worldwide.

1 Like

Shazam FotG is projected to fall a whopping 70%. I hope they already estimated low since it keeps underperforming.

1 Like

Thursday numbers are in

$36,606,765 domestic.

71,206,765 total.

Money they get to keep by rule of thumb is

dom- 18,303,382.5

China- 1,075,000

International- 12,120,000

31,498,382.5 total.

2 Likes

Damn! Ouch!

2 Likes

I am not surprised John Wick 4 is already over-taking it. Granted, I mentioned it before, it is surprising-ish but if anything just impressive that each John Wick film opens up to more than the previous installment.

So, should we join the stupid banter of pointing fingers and blaming people for the failure of this film? Thatā€™s all social media is about right now.

2 Likes

If you want. I put a lot of the blame on the date. Should have tried opening in January.

1 Like

Nonononono youā€™re doing it wrong. We blame

A.) James Gunn
B.) The Rock
C.) Zack Snyder and or his fans
D.) I dunnoā€¦Joe Biden? lol

But I dunno, movies go to die at the box office in January if ya ask me. If you have an example of a success in January Iā€™m all ears

3 Likes

Reasonable. His announcements might have killed interest. In addition he definetly hurt it by making himself DCā€™s PR man and not doing anything. He was going crazy for Flash and ignoring the film actually about to open. Many people said this must mean the movie was passable at best.

I do not think general audiences cared about the drama which did not even come out until the opening weekend was already a failure.

Hurt the brand, and the fans have been vocal with their boycotts, but I do not know if they are still doing that.

You could always say he hurt the economy hurting the movie, but you can say the same thing about Alexander Hamilton.

American Sniper, Revenant, Kung Fu Panda 3.

The plan would be be the backup for Avatar and appeal to people not interested. In hindsight it would have lost that battle to Puss N Boots, but that is one film vs losing it to multiple films right now. In addition Those 2 films practically had a box offcie monopoly for a while. Maybe Shazam 2 could have gotten a piece of that pie.

1 Like

As a former history major, this is the only thing you said that caught my interest, lol.

2 Likes

This is the best way to describe it. Thisā€¦meets FOX News

2 Likes

The reports for SFotGā€™s friday drop is currently a horrible 79.9%.

1 Like

Yet again the actual gross is lower than predicted.

Who cursed this movie? By the law of averages it is bound to overperform somewhere at some time by now. This defies the laws of probability.

1 Like

Welcome to DCUI @Arrchenemy! :smiley:

3 Likes

Damn, Scream VI crawled back up, over-taking Shazam.

2 Likes

I canā€™t wait for the day when word of mouth and enjoyment determines a filmā€™s success over box office numbers. In this hyperbolic age of looking at the weekendā€™s gross and tomato scores, it feels like weā€™re letting numbers dictate if we like a movie rather than seeing it and judging for ourselves.

3 Likes

I do not. That is why I never criticize The Last Jedi. I think it sounds awful, but I have never seen it

3 Likes

I saw it, but it wasnā€™t my cup of tea. I didnā€™t want to get into that whole debate over it, so I moved onto something I would enjoy.

That whole Last Jedi thing is a perfect example of how bad things have gotten. How much time did people waste arguing over that movie. If you didnā€™t enjoy it, then why waste time and energy on it when you could move onto something you will enjoy? If you liked it, why isnā€™t it enough that you enjoyed it; does everyone have to be converted to your camp?

What I like about these forums is you can talk about something, and nine times out of ten the people here will discuss it with you in a calm and civil manner. We can exchange ideas whether we agree with them or not. I feel guilty for not enjoying this season of The Flash, but if someone on the forums says theyā€™re enjoying it, I donā€™t want to take that away from them, either.

2 Likes

One of the most useful things Iā€™ve come to realize over the last few years is that not everything is for me, or has to be for me. If someone likes something I donā€™t, or vice versa, thatā€™s totally fine! No point in arguing about or wasting lots of time trying to change their mind. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awe thank you

4 Likes