Dark Crisis - Preview & Discussion of DCs Major Comic Event for 2022

so far, all of the futures shown tend to change over time, so if I see some future, I always just assume it is part of hypertime elseworlds.

4 Likes

I would say that this is not necessarily true. Both Batman Beyond (Earth-12) and Kamandi (Earth-51) were already part of the Multiverse when Bendis included them in his future timeline for Los Millennium. Basically, they’ve been alternate worlds since The Multiversity Guidebook from 2015. When Bendis included them in his timeline, I didn’t take that as a retcon of Multiversity. Along the same line, just because they are alternate worlds doesn’t necessarily mean they can’t also be part of Earth-0’s future. I believe they still very well could. However, the future is yet to be written. Like with most things concerning the future, I think everything is still in flux. At best, I always thought of Bendis’ timeline as only a possible future timeline. Things may or may not actually go down that way.

I understand your concern because I also liked that timeline from Millennium. However, I don’t think Big Bang is necessarily a retcon of it. Being an alternate world or possible future is not mutually exclusive. That being said, it is generally disheartening how quickly DC gave up on Bendis’ Legion.

I’m more excited by everything that we gained/regained as part of the Multiverse expansion. I would, of course, prefer to have Superman’s Silver Age history back in the main timeline. However, that was never going to be on the table. The fact that I get it back with Earth-1956 is a pleasant surprise.

3 Likes