Dark Crisis - Preview & Discussion of DCs Major Comic Event for 2022

Just because a character is wearing fishnets doesn’t make her a clone

4 Likes

The fishnets and the similar code names for a female hero with no powers are just too much of a coincidence.

3 Likes

Black Widow refers to her femme fatale status and her being Russian plays into the Cold War fears at the time.

4 Likes

golden age black canary started out as a femme fatale villain in the Johnny Thunder stories. Female villains became popular late in the golden age like Harlequin, Star Sapphire, Thorn.

3 Likes

Wanted to stay out of this one, but that’s not exactly true. Black Canary was a Robin Hood figure who stole from criminals to retrieve their ill-gotten gains in her first appearance. After that, she was a straight-up hero. She played with Johnny’s heart a little to get her way, but she wasn’t really ever a villain.

4 Likes

In her first appearance, the intro for black canary was: Meet the most fascinating crook of all time. The black canary.
So maybe she was a fake crook. Not being a real crook might be a later retcon which was a pretty common trope. Harlequin I remember was sort of a fake villain bec she only became a villain to attract the attention of Green Lantern. Later on, there was even a retcon on Catwoman to say she was not a real villain but just somebody suffering from amnesia. Cheetah and Thorn had split personality and their other personality was a nice person.

3 Likes

Black Widow is not based off of Black Canary

2 Likes

Have you actually read her Golden Age stories or are you looking up images online to back-up your point? Because I just finished reading her Golden Age stories. If you have, then I will further engage you about this topic. If not, I’m telling you: Black Canary was not a villain. She stole from crooks to return their loot or expose their crimes. She was a vigilante. That is not a retcon. That is what happened.

5 Likes

Black Canary was called a crook and villainess by her writer in her first story probably bec stealing from crooks is technically also a crime.

4 Likes

while the nerds argue about Black Canary being a vigilante or villain , I am going to get back into Dark Crisis, as the thread is titled.

I finally got my copy of #7 I know there are mixed reviews on Dark Crisis Infinite Earths, which is good, when there is a mixed view on art, then there is some good stuff happening all around, an I think it is fair to say " professional critics " are about as important as a bag of farts, so To Beans with you " professional critics " ! I absolutely loved Dark Crisis. I do plan on re reading it all soon.

But man #7 for me was very rad, on top of it all, I had an 80s playlist going on youtube and the timing of songs was perfect lol because as I opened up #7 Eye of the Tiger starts playing, and I end up cracking a quick laugh, and I enjoyed having some cool reading music through out, that one page of the close up of Black Adam Michael Jacksons Beat it, came on right when i hit that page, again making me crack a laugh.

so if you ever want to jazz up your DC reading experience, que up your fav songs to what you are reading.

I felt sorry for Pariah, poor shmuck was just nanners, and I think he just in the end disappeared not really dieing, and I might be wrong, but I didn’t consider the Justice League to actually be dead, but transported to other worlds, yes in the beginning we saw them turned to skeletons and evaporate into nothing, BUT, my reasoning is because, if one goes back to a Green Lantern story, cant remember which, Sinestro and his yellow ring, does this bippity boppity boop teleport to the planet Qward, any how some where in some panel i remember the same happening to Sinestro he either uses his ring or his ring explodes, and he turns into a skeleton and poof gone and re appears fine and dandy else where.

Anyhow, no telling if they were really dead or not, less some writer comes out and says, yes they were very very dead and only in spirit form in pariahs control, find that link post it in a reply and you get a cookie.

just know I don’t care and I still say despite anything to the contrary that they were never dead just teleported. Sticking to it, you can think I am living in Denial all you want.

um where was i?

oh yeah, so, Pariah, just wanted his own happily ever after, Death Stroke gets possessed, Oliver is just M.I.A, we have a couple of kumbaya moments after wards, and if the wicked witch of the west doesnt show up at the end, ( which I think she was the one who hit that button Slade ) Amanda Waller, * Sigh* I really hope in 2023 there is a story line where Amanda Waller is apprehended, put on trial found guilty and tossed into Belle Reeve . Or Arkham Asylum.

I love to hate you Amanda Waller, and perhaps that is because some where deep down I have a weird crush on you, who knows.

I will ask this though for an reply, and feel free to quote this for a reply,
in this story, exactly what was the time frame that this all went down? Two hours, a day , a week , a month?

I loved towards the end seeing Bruce and Dick reunite, and Bruce acknowledging Dick as his son, and acknowledging how much he means to him.

An looks like 2023 Dick Greyson is going to get a chance at forming his own Justice league as the O.Gs are going to be taking a step back,

I was a bit miffed at Black Adam towards the end, when he threatened Superman, I didn’t get it, he went through a lot, one would think, he would have appreciated what he learned, and then to add that tongue in cheek compliment, made me think, okay, was he just show boating or did he really mean that they better not cross paths again… Who knows.

Blue Berry Pancakes with Butter and warm Blue Berry Syrup, eggs scrambled, bacon crispy, and a hot cup of dark coffee with half n half, or italian sweet creamer.

3 Likes

They showed that Barry Allen was in an alternate earth so most people assumed the justice league were also sent to alternate earths. Even for real comic deaths, these are usually just temporary so I just view real comic deaths as vacations. In the competition, I heard Thunderbird has returned from the dead.
Amanda Waller does a pretty good job of representing the government. In real life, all vigilantes are illegal and would be jailed or killed.
Based on the covers of Nightwing, looks like Titans has the classic members and are now based in Bludhaven. 1 of the Dark Crisis 7 variant covers shows a classic Titans team.
Deathstroke is on 1 of the Lazarus Planet covers and it does seem like he always recovers fast from whatever just like Wolverine.

4 Likes

:yawning_face:

4 Likes

Jokes’ on you, cause we both know you read the entire entry i posted.

an now you have to live in denial that you absolutely enjoyed reading it and want more.

Baked Potatoe.

4 Likes

should I read dark crisis 7 or big bang first?

5 Likes

I read Big Bang first (because they released it first) and it didn’t spoil anything for me for DC#7.

6 Likes

cool thanks

6 Likes

I don’t believe I already mentioned it, but the WWAJL: Batman one-shot was great. I loved the main story, as well as the back-up with Zatanna. Its too bad the other WWAJL one-shots weren’t as good, unfortunately.

Off to read Dark Army! :point_up:t2: :nerd_face:

5 Likes

I am glad Dark Crisis managed to showcase the Titans bec usually, Titans titles do not last that long. Hopefully, the new team of Nightwing will be more similar to Justice League Unlimited so can see more characters.

5 Likes

The Dark Army one-shot was pretty solid, and it reaffirms my opinion that the best things about Dark Crisis came from the tie-ins.

4 Likes

I’ll dig into more of your post later but I just read Big Bang on Ultra and couple quick notes.

First I’m glad I didn’t spend good money on it because there wasn’t much as far as the story to it.

But secondly I’d say my concern with Big Bang and the rollout of infinite worlds is that it takes what I consider the decent timeline in the main DC reality that Bendis just did with Legion of Super-Heroes Millennium two-part series that acknowledged the worlds of Batman Beyond, Kamandi, Tommy Tomorrow and the Legion as part of the current DC Earth’s future, and tosses it out and now DC simply says all those futures are just separate realities / several worlds.

5 Likes