Dark Crisis - Preview & Discussion of DCs Major Comic Event for 2022

So far so good. Legacy characters (aside from Jon, and maybe Yara) are not one of my DC strong points, truth be told, so it’s kind of a nice change to get to spend this time with them and get to know them a bit. If I end up picking up an additional book for one or more of those characters after the event ends, then I think it will have accomplished its ultimate goal with me. We’ll see.

JL’s “death” doesn’t feel as serious as one would expect, and I like the meta commentary in the story that acknowledges that.

Daniel Sampere’s art is a joy to look at. Definitely shades of Ivan Reis in his work (been seeing that quite a bit lately).

6 Likes

Yeah, I think you’ve mentioned something about reading Dark Crisis as it comes to DCUI. :wink:

Man oh Superman, I sure hope he’s got a swell post-Dark Crisis gig lined up, because I love his art in everything I’ve seen it in.

5 Likes

I gotta say - y’all are making me even more excited about this event. The discussion, theories and speculation have all been positive in here and that’s a good sign!

5 Likes

I’ve liked Dark Crisis a lot so far. It’s “felt” like a Crisis in the way that when I opened the first issue I got the same feeling about it that I have from Crisis books of the past. And, that’s a good thing.

Dark Crisis: Young Justice also pleasantly surprised me. I wasn’t expecting much, but it kind of feels like a book about the millennial experience. I’m eager to see where it goes.

Favorite moments from Dark Crisis #2: Jon smashing Cyborg Superman straight through Titan’s Tower (that they had just rebuilt) and Nightwing outclassing Deathstroke.

Also, how do we all feel about Black Adam taking control of the Justice League? I know that Kal put his faith in him, but Teth-Adam has a history of resorting to authoritarianism in stressful situations. He could either be the kind of leader the Justice League needs in a Crisis like this or the kind of leader that creates one of those dark, alternate futures…

5 Likes

Ditto what you said, along with Cyborg smashing Cyborg Superman’s head. Hope Victor is prominently featured in a book after this crisis.

He seems pretty badass :joy:. I’m not sure what to make of Black Adam right now to be honest. In Bendis’ Justice League he was a good guy. I read him as more of an antihero, but still on the side of the good guys. I just started reading the Christopher Priest comic, and I’m told he’s gonna be a villain in that one, though the first issue doesn’t quite tell us that. In any case, I do hope your first prediction is true, not the second one.

4 Likes

He’s been in Teen Titans Academy, but… that book has a pretty large cast.

I mean… he’s trying! But old habits die hard and his old habits generally involve tearing people in half.

5 Likes

Yeah I don’t know much about him outside the recent developments and that he is/used to be a Shazam villain. Funny how I get introduced things sometimes :joy:

5 Likes

Hell. YES. I loved Cyborg Superman in this issue, as well as Jon’s subsequent dispatch of him.

Works for me. I don’t know how long it’ll work within the story, but from the get-go at least, it has promise.

I kind of want Jon to take the lead, though. And Yara, but I want Yara to do everything, because she’s badass and can indeed do everything.

4 Likes

Yeah! She should believe in herself more…

4 Likes

She’s got my vote!

tugs on his gold, black and red Team Yara t-shirt

4 Likes

So, Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League #1 was probably the best stand-alone Superman story I’ve read in a long time. It reminded me a lot of the Alan Moore classic "For the Man Who Has Everything from Superman Annual #11. I did a breakdown of that story here. But the tldr synopsis of that story is that Mongul traps Superman in a fantasy where he has the only thing he can’t have: A normal life with a wife and family.

Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League #1 told a very similar story. At the beginning of the story, we are told that Pariah has imprisoned the essence of the Justice League members in custom-made worlds created from their innermost hopes. In that way, Pariah has created a fantastic trap for Superman as the world he created has given Kal the years he lost with his son. If you aren’t familiar with recent Superman history, due to some multiversal hijinks, Jon aged from childhood to adulthood on an alternate earth and away from his parents. This robbed Kal of the chance to raise his son into adulthood. Pariah’s world has given those years back to Kal with each chapter representing a year of Jon’s life. However, it has come at a cost.

Throughout the story, everything feels a bit off. It’s like we should be witnessing this happy family life that Superman now gets to experience with his wife and son, but there’s almost this nervous tension you can feel in the background of each scene. It doesn’t feel like this family is very happy but it’s hard to put a finger on why. Eventually, we learn what it is. Darkseid is waging a horrible war throughout the universe and Kal is basically letting it happen so he can live on Earth in peace with his family.
Superman Sanctuary on Earth

Essentially, he is making the compromises his Silver Age self was always afraid he’d make if he got married and had a family. He’s neglecting his duty, his never-ending battle as Superman to protect the years he originally missed raising his son. This is the tragically realistic crux of the story. Who wouldn’t make compromises or sacrifices for their children? Except, when Superman does it, there are greater consequences.
Supes No Marry

Even worse, Kal’s compromises may not simply be limited to this artificial earth created by Pariah. The story ends with some emotional words from Superman that seem to suggest that he would not give up these years he spent with his son for anything… even, perhaps, escaping this world to help end Dark Crisis…
Superman Wouldnt Trade This for Anything

In the end, this was a really brilliant Superman story written by Tom King with the kind of wonderful art you expect from Chris Burnham. Some other stray thoughts:

I liked how Aquaman was the back-up story in this issue just like he was often the back-up feature to Superman stories in the Silver Age. Superman’s Silver Age editor, Mort Weisinger, co-created Aquaman.

It was funny that Superman basically had Jon dressing up as Robin. Maybe he envies how many sons Bruce has been allowed to raise?

It was also pretty interesting that this story ended with the current Superman status quo being flipped. In the current Superman books, Jon is the Superman of Earth while Kal is out in space trying to liberate other parts of the universe. At the end of this story, Kal is left behind to protect Earth while Jon goes to rescue other planets.
Jon Make the Rest Better

I definitely recommend picking this book up!

6 Likes

Nice take. My sentiments echo yours, without the Silver Age references though, because my knowledge of that era is limited.

At first I thought to myself, Supes wouldn’t just ignore the cries of billions, but then two things hit me:

1- This is Clark’s dreamworld. In real life, he rushes off to the ends of the universe to help, like he’s currently doing on Warworld, or like he did saving that little girl in Tom King’s own “Up In the Sky”.
2- Realistically speaking, he can’t be everywhere at once (Clark says so much in the book), and life is full of nasty ■■■■ happening all the time, and he hears all that. Cue the Five for Fighting song, “:musical_note: It’s not easy… to be me…

Love the art. Burnham’s art makes me feel like I’m watching a high end, hand drawn, animated movie. It just flows very nicely. There’s also lots of attention to detail with all the little wrinkles and creases on costumes and faces. Supes’ Golden Age inspired costume looks great, so does Jon’s Robin inspired costume.

Had the same exact thought at the end. Kinda cool how they did that. Shows that King was at least reading what PKJ is doing.

Tom King is hit & miss for me, but this was definitely a hit. I think I actually like his Super stuff more than his Bat stuff… no surprise there I guess :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

I think my fear is that he’s just making excuses. Yeah, he can’t be everywhere at once. However, there’s a difference between him making the realistic decisions of who to help and where and knowing that something really, really bad is happening and choosing to do nothing. There’s a chance that the whole “Darkseid War” in his dreamworld is his subconscious reminding him of what’s going on in the real world- what he needs to get back to. I think this reality has finally given him something he sees as worth compromising for, and I’m worried it’ll take some convincing to get him out of there (maybe from the REAL Jon).

I haven’t read much of Tom King, but I’ve really enjoyed what I have read. This is the second time I’ve run into someone mentioning his Bat-run as being disappointing. I never read it because I was on my decade long bat-cation, but I am very curious now…

4 Likes

I myself love Tom King’s Batman run, though it’s definitely uneven.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s “disappointing”. Was somewhat melodramatic, but enjoyable and better than what came after it, imo (not a fan of Joker War or Fear State). It’s just, King does this thing sometimes where he indulges in weird poetry and he loses me when he does. Batman had a lot of that. Also, I don’t buy the Bruce/Selina romance, and that was like a major part of his run.

5 Likes

:laughing: Well, now I’ve GOT to read it…

5 Likes

Tom King on Batman (not just the ongoing, but in general) is pretty good, in my four eyes.

I liked what I read of his Rebirth Batman, and what I’ve read of Batman/Catwoman has been good.

His work on Superman, though?

Love it!

Up in the Sky was great, and the little I’ve so far read of the Dark Crisis Superman book is solid, too.

If King should get an ongoing Superman gig, I won’t complain (too many other people will already be doing it anyway, and that’s before his run would even start).

I’m really curious to check out Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow. If its even a fraction of what Up in the Sky was, then its going to be a swell read, indeed.

6 Likes

Just as good, imo.

5 Likes

Holy potatoes Doctor Jones, that’s high praise, indeed.

5 Likes

I don’t think King should do ongoings anymore - I think his strength is his formalism, which means he has to have a beginning, middle, and end to make the structural skills he practices work. Ongoings destroy that, in addition to diluting his ability to focus so tons of small details slip through.

Up in the Sky is amazing - some of the most concentrated King I’ve ever read, and so effective emotionally and thematically. I personally didn’t enjoy Supergirl as much, but I’m not as connected to Kara’s personality and history, so it could be just a disconnect between me and the character.

5 Likes