Countdown To DC Universe Infinite

Ahh, The Question #34. The beginning of the series’ end. Featuring one of Denys Cowan’s most simple and elegant covers, an iconic image of the faceless seeker always looking over his shoulder. In this holiday issue, the series’ two protagonists, The Question himself and his former lover turned city mayor Myra Fermin, reflect upon the events of the series — and their innermost, unresolved insecurities. It’s an issue filled with stirring dream sequences, with Myra judged for her sins in Hell, while Vic regresses to a childhood denied to him by the parents he never got to know.

A summary of character and the desperation of their missions to save Hub City when they’ve both completely failed to save themselves. It’s a hard issue to read if you care about these characters, but as a book which began with a message of character growth and rebirth, a completely necessary exercise before we come to the end of the series — where Myra and Vic will both reckon with their own self-actualization.

7 Likes

I really don’t have all the answers, what I do know is HBO Max will be showing season 4, not sure when. As for the community board, it’ll still be around. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Okay so we’re getting season 4 on HBO. Fine. But if they cancel this show after 2 seasons AGAIN… I better at least get one more season with a fulfilling conclusion.

3 Likes

That depends on the kind of viewership it gets on HBO Max. But you should know that showrunner Greg Weisman has no intention of ever giving this series a “fulfilling conclusion,” if you define that as one which closes every existing plot thread. His writing style for decades has been that he opens up new stories while concluding others. He philosophically, fundamentally doesn’t believe in endings. He writes neverending stories, and it’s always the network which cancels them.

4 Likes

See and I’m okay with that in the sense that a hero’s job is never done. I just don’t want a cliffhanger like don’t set up a new story if you’re not gonna do it and for the ending I just want it to end on a good note like last time we ended on a death. Don’t do that. It’s much more fulfilling to see the characters to you’ve followed to be happy while knowing that their work will continue. For example, the ending of Charmed: https://youtu.be/M4IVo5X0E6U

1 Like

112 More days til DC Universe Infinite launches, today comic is from the wildstorm comic, here’s Planetary #1.:slightly_smiling_face:
download.jpeg
Planetary #1

5 Likes

You’ve got to separate the writer from the work on this one, unfortunately, but there’s no denying that PLANETARY #1 was revolutionary. Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Kieron Gillen, Chip Zdarsky, Bryan Lee O’Malley – many of the biggest names in comics over the past 20 years all cite Ellis’s work as deeply influential to their own, and PLANETARY was the cornerstone of it all. Over a slow paced decade long run, PLANETARY quietly redefined the potential of what comic books could be at a magnitude really unmatched since WATCHMEN. If any true masterpiece ever came out of WildStorm, this was the one.

5 Likes

One of the top three best Wildstorm titles ever. Thanks, @Reaganfan78! :metal:t2:

2 Likes

You’re welcome.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is a fun little topic, I’ll be following along with the posts. :slight_smile:

To celebrate DCU’s transformation into a comic service more focused on modern comics, I decided I should finally take a real crack at modern comics! I’ve almost exclusively been reading stuff from the mid-80s, like Swamp Thing and Vigilante.

So I thought, what better place to start than Flashpoint #1, since that leads straight into a multiverse-wide reboot?

I actually don’t KNOW if the New 52 is the best place to start, though. What say you, @HubCityQuestion (or anyone else who’s knowledgeable on this stuff)? Is Flashpoint/New 52 a decent jumping-on point?

The idea here is, that I’ll just start from that era and read onward till I get caught up with the REALLY modern stuff. I’m not turning my back on the older stuff entirely, though. I’m gonna continue with those, because those older comics are important too :relieved:

2 Likes

If you’re specifically asking me, I’d say no.

2 Likes

How come?

2 Likes

Personal preference. Reading all those series at once is exhausting, and provides little material benefit. My advice is to just bounce around, read what interests you, and let the pieces come together on their own.

4 Likes

Rare is the completionist who doesn’t get burned out before they “catch up.” It’s not cheating to not read everything in order.

3 Likes

I’ve personally most definitely have read almost everything out of order… it’s actually pretty fun most of the time…

2 Likes

I almost never read anything in order. I’ve been reading Morrison’s run on Green Lantern and at the same time reading Green lantern Corps from 2006.

2 Likes

111 more days til DC Universe Infinite launches, today comic character was pick by our good friend @Applejack, so here’s Catwoman issue 1.:grinning:

Catwoman #1

5 Likes

Mindy Newell was the first credited female writer of Wonder Woman, and in 1988 she became the first person to write a Catwoman solo. Even before the hype cycle of Batman Returns kicked the character’s redemption into high gear, this Catwoman miniseries was building on the foundation established by Frank Miller in his sympathetic portrayal of the character in BATMAN: YEAR ONE. Selina’s costume and aesthetics draw a direct line from the origins established for her in Miller’s story, making into plain text the progression which the original work implied. But maybe most importantly, this series introduces us to Maggie Kyle – Selina’s sister, who will continue to play an important role in nearly every writer’s run on Catwoman to come after Newell’s.

6 Likes

110 More days til DC Universe Infinite launches, Today character is John Stewart of Green Lantern, this comic book is probably my favorite story of him.:slightly_smiling_face:

Justice League Adventures #19

4 Likes

Oh awesome, I love John Stewart, and have yet to read this, so I’m going to make extra effort to read this today. :smiley:

1 Like