Cosplay Creation Discussion Corner

Some of my own tips include:

-Toupee tape, to hold clothing where the heck I want it to stay
-Snap fasteners across my shoulders for capes, to get that nice line rather than a bunched pile of fabric
-Coffee dips, sandpaper, and burning over a lit candle to age clothing or objects - came in very handy when I did Imperator Furiosa.
-Wigs. I don’t care how awesome your hair is, just use a wig. It can take way more abuse, stay in shape much longer throughout the day and night, and adds that extra theatrical “oomph”.

I know I would also love to hear what costumes you’re all planning this year, DC themed or otherwise! (But bonus points for DC-themed ;p )

5 Likes

I don’t know if this is possible but I wanna dress up as bane so does antibody got some venom for me

2 Likes

Sock glue is a cosplayers best friend in regards to keeping covered in comic level convenient clothing.

Insulation foam + midge podge + rubber flex = easy and light props

5 Likes

Can you give an example of how you’d use the sock glue? I haven’t heard that one before and I’m curious

2 Likes

Remember to have fun! Most of the time your costume doesnt have to be 100% screen accurate, as long as you can get the point across, people will love it!
Case in point: One year I went to a party as “Bat Wayne” (Bruce forgot if Batman was needed at party or Bruce was)

Black dress shirt
Grey pants
Yellow Utility Belt
Batman Cowl

the best!

9 Likes

My cyborg costume is almost a go! Created his White Noise gun a few days ago, just waiting to spray and finish it!
Going as the ‘laid back dad’ Cyborg look with a blue and grey flannel and cyborgs teen titans pattern up the left side of my neck. Complete with red eye contact lends. Simple and everyone will pick up on it
My girlfriend is going as Raven. Instead of a hood and cloak she is wearing a heavy dark purple wrap complete with her gem on her forehead.
My 5 year old son im dressing up as beast boy. He’s got the attitude complete with green face make up and hair dye in a can

5 Likes

In my pic you can see my Bizarro. Grey skin paint, burnt up cape, and a symbol made of craft foam. Glued the symbol to the shirt and then added large stitching like in his kotobukyia statue

9 Likes

Its not a “hack” but many a time I’ve gone to youtube and search “how to…” or 'DIY…" to help me complete my costumes (I highly recommend Evil Ted, Odin Makes, Xieng Prod, and Punished Props). Also, therpf.com forum is always helpful.

3 Likes

I’m going as the new Red Hood

5 Likes

Velcro lol

1 Like

If something is a little off, find a way to make it work!

1 Like

Here are the steps I go through for deciding on a cosplay, great for beginners:

Step 1: Is there a character you would cosplay as no matter what? (if yes: step 5, if no: step 2)

Step 2: What is your budget, experience level, and interest? Interest can be genre (eg comics), theme (eg DC), or anything else (eg obscure, funny, teams for group cosplay etc.)

Step 3: How much does accuracy matter to you? To some people it’s fine to put throw on a Batman t-shirt, other people want a Kevlar cape. Does it matter to you what you look like vs what character looks like? (Also, never let anyone decide any of this step for you. You decide how much accuracy matters. Well… within the confines of the law. I’ve worked cons. Your cosplay needs pants and no, you may not bring an ak-47 with ammunition in here, there are children here, do you really think that is appropriate? ).

Step 4: Browse through character guides of things that interest you, watch your favorite episodes, read your favorite issues, etc and look for characters you think you can do generally baring in mind steps 2 and 3.

Step 5: Make a list from head to toe of everything you need and make a separate list for everything you want for the costume. Decide if you can buy or make all that. (if you can’t go back to step 1 or 4)

Step 6: Consider time if it matters (going to a specific event). Given a decade and enough paint, glue, and cardboard I can make a costume for just about anyone that looks amazing but I don’t have a decade. Whatever time you get, double it to be safe.

I make at least one cosplay every year for my local con. It has gotten to the point that I can run through this whole process in my head every time I see a character I like even a little. You should have fun with it, accuracy isn’t always the best course. Sometimes you shouldn’t think, ‘how can I look like [character]?’ sometimes the best cosplays come from ‘how can I make [character] look like me?’

2 Likes

do people really not wear pants to cons?

2 Likes

I’ve seen people push it as far as it can go.

General cosplay advise, I heard someone wisely say once, “if it’s illegal in a public park, it’s not okay to wear to a con during the day. If the parents in the park are giving you glares, consider very carefully.” I’ve worn what would probably be considered “revealing” before, there is a difference, if you don’t know it, stay on the safe side.

Also, everyone likes to say this to the ladies but guys are just as affected so don’t say “that’s only for them” like a jerk when you decide you want to wear nothing but much too small diapers to a con and argue with some poor schmuck working the entrance (actual thing that happened to me).

(Sorry to rant, catharsis feels good)

1 Like

True. :+1:

2 Likes

Skin tight spandex is the way to go.

2 Likes

Just had an idea for a Mandalorian Executioner combined with Phantasm. This is definitly happening! I might adapt some armor I already have together… What should I do for cape/jetpack? The pack I have won’t fit under a cape.

1 Like

I’d do no jet pack or a jet back and just some cloth hanging off your shoulder like Boba Fett.

1 Like

hm… a half cape or shoulder cape might work :thinking: Good idea. Might go with a Rebels or Armorer disign for the pack to save space… That could work!

1 Like

So, I’ve got plans for a Scarecrow cosplay that’ll be my own design of the character (Heavily based on Arkham and Injustice Scarecrow)

The following is a copy paste from my notes document detailing some of my ideas. If anyone has any notes, ideas, or things that can help, please let me know.

• = Notes, but because this is copy pasted from the document, it isn’t color coded. Only the Arkham Hand and The Gas Mask actually have notes included here.

Head:

• Mask
    • Gas Mask Vents Next To Mouth*
    • Classic Potato Sack Scarecrow Mask*
      • Eyes*
        • Black mesh covering*
      • Stitches Across Mouth*
        • Loose*
  • Hood
    • Ragged

Body:

• Neck Noose
    • “Frayed” cut end
  • Coat
    • Stitches Down Coat Seams
    • Inside Black
    • Ragged, Ripped, and Torn
      • No exposed skin, skin will be hidden by a thin black cloth bodysuit
  • Vest
    • Bullet-Proof style
  • Belt
    • Rope
  • Pants
    • Ragged, Ripped, and Torn
      • No exposed skin, skin will be hidden by a thin black cloth bodysuit
    • Slots on right thigh to hold wooden Stake accessory
  • Hands
    • Bandage wrapped hands
      • Get black fingerless gloves and overlay with medical bandages for quick application

Accessories:

• Wooden stakes

• Light Wood
    • Simple
    • Flat back end
    • Held on right thigh
  • Gas Canister*

• Held on back*
    • Injustice 2 Bane Esc*
    • Tube and air pump end followed through sleeve like a magician’s coat to insinuate access to the fear gas
  • Fear Gas Bombs

• Water vapor bombs
    • Orange mist
  • Arkham Syringe Fingers**

• Right hand
    • Orange fluid*
    • Tubes running from syringes up outside of coat arm to canisters located on vest
  • Chain and Sickle*

• Rusty*
    • Dull*
    • Left Hand*
    • Place to hang on side of coat
  • Notes:
    Arkham Syringe Fingers: Might scrap and switch to clawed gloves
    Gas Mask: Might scrap and switch to clawed gloves

1 Like