Community Office Hours--Ask Jitsu Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Question for @Jitsu next week (or late entry this week) - any word on whether or not DCUI subscribers - Ultra or not - will receive invites to attend the Shazam! Fury of the Gods premiere like we received for Black Adam?

6 Likes

So @Jitsu , on the subject of art, which Batman Artist do you prefer?

6 Likes

As we close out Black History month, here’s a final bit of info from Trivia Corner. Some of you may be familiar with a newspaper comic strip character named Friday Foster. You can be forgiven if you don’t. She’s been gone from the dailies and Sunday pages for more than 40 years now. Resurfacing only recently in a 2019 Dick Tracy storyline. Created by Jim Lawrence and Jorge Longaron, it ran from 1970 -'74. Ms. Foster also spawned a one-shot comic, published by Dell, back then. The art was by Frank Springer, who occasionally assisted on the regular strip. Friday’s popularity also reached Hollywood. And a feature length movie about her, starring Pam Grier, came out during the blaxploitation film era of the 70s.

But that’s not the trivia I’m about to uncover (as interesting as it is). You see Friday was not the first comic strip to star a black heroine. That honor goes to Torchy Brown, created in 1937 by Zelda Mavin Jackson. Professionally known as Jackie Ormes, she was a journalist, and believed to be the first Afro-American female cartoonist in the nation! She taught herself to draw. And one look at her artwork, shows she learned her craft well. The strip ran from '37 to '40, in the Pittsburgh Courier, a Black Weekly. It was revived in 1950 as a full color insert. Very much like Eisner’s more widely received Spirit strip. It was popular enough though, to get syndicated in 14 other similar papers around the country. Ending it’s run, in '54.

You can find out a lot more about the career of Ms. Ormes on-line, if you’re interested, as I was. Anyway, that’s a wrap boys 'n girls. Remember to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and always brush your teeth. You don’t like bad breath, and neither does anybody else. :grin:

Well, 'til Friday meets Mari McCabe …

Stay safe, be well.

7 Likes

That’s a good question! I’m not positive there will be a pre-screening type premier like there was for Black Adam, but if I do hear of it–you’ll all be the first to know!

7 Likes

Ahhh, there’s so many! I’d say my top top pick would be Lee Bermejo. His design of the Batsuit, and the granular realism of his work is soo impressive. Especially for such a dark and brooding environment like Gotham, I feel like he really brings out the depth and intensity of each panel.

I’ve recently read Sean Murphy’s Batman: White Knight, and he has definitely become one of my newer favorites. Some of the character designs in the White Knight universe are incredible!

What about you? Any preferences, art-wise?

6 Likes

This is so cool to learn about. Your Trivia Corner entries really never cease to impress me! Thank you, as always!

7 Likes

What’s your favorite DC team?

7 Likes

Hmm…If I had to put together a top 3, I’d go with:

1. Bat Family.
  2. Justice Society of America
  3. Justice League

What about you?

7 Likes

My list goes:

1. Bat-Fam
  2. Young Justice
  3. Section Eight
5 Likes

Honestly, I can’t chose one the art becomes part of the story to me, and there are so many great Batman Stories.

6 Likes

My favorites are the batfamily and Justice league dark

6 Likes

Hey everyone!

Just a heads up that there will be no office hours this week (Tuesday, March 7). Office Hours will return next week, on March 13!

<3 Jitsu

8 Likes

Have you heard if there will be more Silver Age and Bronze Age comics digitized soon? There are huge gaps in several series and some series (like Silver Age Metamorpho) aren’t represented at all. Speaking of Metamorpho, I’m surprised no one has made a Metamorpho movie or TV show. I think Matt Bomer would be a great Metamorpho. What do you think?

6 Likes

Considering that MARCH, is National Women’s History Month (among other things), and we’re running a week late here, it’s only fair that my Trivia Corner posts reflect that. In looking through my DC Archive collection of Black Canary stories, I am struck by some interesting (and probably little known or remembered) things about her. Her first appearance is within a Johnny Thunder story in Flash Comics 1947. Titled appropriately enough, “the Black Canary.” She is wearing a mask, necessary as part of a costume party she’s attending. Yet, for some unknown reason, she also appears in that same mask in her next story, without any explanation. After that, the mask is never seen again. And a few issue later, neither is Johnny Thunder! Replacing the master of the T-Bolt in his own strip, from issue #92, until the title’s cancellation several issues later. She made a similar move on the poor, befuddled mister Thunder, in All-Star Comics. First, appearing together in issues #38 and 39. Then, simply replacing him on the team’s roster via osmosis, in issue #40. Without so much as a by-your-leave, or a farewell party. Poor guy, got no respect. He wouldn’t be seen again until a JSA crossover in Justice League #37, vol.1, in 1965. And it’s during that '65 era that the original Canary and Starman would begin an affair. Marking her as one of those few comic heroines to engage in such behavior.

In all honesty, on the surface, Canary appears to be National’s answer to the Black Cat over at Harvey Comics. A motorcycle riding, masked crime-fighter, and master of hand-to-hand combat. Introduced in Pocket Comics #1 (Aug '41), she predates both Wonder Woman and the Canary. But, needless to say, Diana and Dinah have both gone on to much bigger things! I’ll pick up my coverage of WW next week, But that’s a wrap for now, except for this. I’ve updated some information with an addendum to my Jan 25th posting. Anybody interested can go back and take a look. Thanks, and have a great night all! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hello @Jitsu :batman_hv_1:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78, hope you’re doing well today! Shazam is almost here, can’t wait to see it next week. Ok here’s my question of the day, will DC Universe Infinite be adding any more Mad Magazine? It’d be great to see alot more from the 50’s to the 10’s.
That’s it for now and hope you have a great week. :smiley:

5 Likes

This was fantastic, as usual! I’ve been meaning to get into more Black Canary–it’s definitely a blind spot in my reading history. This may be the nudge I needed!

Thanks for sharing, and bonus points for sticking with March’s theme!

6 Likes

Helloooo there! I’m very very excited as well–I’ll be seeing it on Thursday night! Excited to hear what you think…

Great question! I believe there should be more MAD coming to the service, but the MAD team is actually fairly separate from the teams I work with, so I don’t have full visibility into the plans over there. I’ll do some digging!

5 Likes

The team is always working to fill gaps in the series that need filling, but from my understanding, earlier books are tough to digitize. But as always, keep your eyes peeled, because there’s always bound to be more progress being made each month!

Oooh, I like this casting! I could also see Peter Scarsgaard as Metamorpho…

7 Likes

Hi @Jitsu, hope you are having a great week! I was wondering if there are any plans to do the 3rd annual Round Robin tournament? I really enjoyed the past years Round Robin’s and as a basketball fan, watching this years NCAA tournament made me think about it!

5 Likes