Coming Soon & Last Chance Movies & TV in November/December

But since we’re in this position, I do at least like knowing when something is on a last chance.

1 Like

When I signed up I thought it was gonna be all movies and shows and a ton of comics. Also can we get it on ps4 or something other than our phone’s and roku?!

Server space? Not sure how that rumor emerged. Was that mentioned somewhere in an official capacity? It’s more of a licensing challenge. Stay tuned for details as they progress.

4 Likes

Be patient, guys. This service will improve. Mark my words! It’s already not that bad as is.

2 Likes

Server space was only from some people speculating which then turns into a rumor. Nothing was ever said in an official capacity. It also doesn’t make any sense, but people don’t seem to realize how this stuff works. I’ve always assumed the movies/TV was due to licensing partly. And the comics mostly due to keeping the comics market viable. There’s a risk with giving customers everything in the DC library for such a low price. Will that hurt the current comics market? Kill direct market? It’s the question the music industry had when digital started then again with the unlimited steaming… along with the debates against whether pirating hurts, or at least how much does it hurt, the industries. Marvel took a great chance with Marvel Unlimited. Just because it is still around doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt their sales. DC doesn’t know their full numbers and even having the data it can be interpreted in many ways with multiple conclusions. Basically, it comes down to ‘how can we make the most money while provide great products’.

I don’t claim to understand much about how these things work, but I don’t see how Marvel Unlimited wouldn’t at least hurt trade sales. I mean, maybe it doesn’t but I don’t buy for a second people who would have bought trades are not settling for Marvel Unlimited instead. Yes, some will anyway not denying that, but will a lot use it as a way to save money on trades… of course, a whole lot and anyone who doesn’t see that was at least a risk lives in a superfan mentality bubble.

But even then Marvel Unlimited is at least the price of basically 1 trade. People on a budget at least likely would not but more then two or three trades a week. So the argument the loss is managable is out there. DCU offers comics, movies, TV shows, a forum and original programming. To me if they offered even 30,000 books on top of of everything else for the price of a half a trade a month I don’t see how they could make money I don’t care what Marvel Unlimited is doing. At the very least the sub price would have to go up and I mean by like 3 times as much. DCU was open (despite what some who jumed to assumptions without paying attention claim) about only having 3,000 curated comics and not every movie and TV show but honestly, I don’t see how anyone thought for 8 bucks a month they would offer THAT anyway.

@dantheman - there’s an article on the comic book herald (https://www.comicbookherald.com/study-whats-the-impact-of-marvel-unlimited-on-comic-book-trade-sales/) that analyzes the data you’re asking about. The conclusion is TBP sales for Marvel since MU stayed relatively the same but overall profit increased. This was due to more people signing up to MU who usually wouldn’t buy TBP’s at all…most likely these people were pirating. Meanwhile, the people who normally bought trades continued to do so.

I think one of the most telling things about MU is that the service has consistently added new features over time (reading on mobile, etc.) along with consistently increasing their catalog but hasn’t raised the price. To me this fact goes a long way in validating the business model. Company profit has consistently increased, fan engagement improved, and illegal pirating has decreased.

It will inevitable take time for DC to work it’s way to that. And of course the offerings on DCU include things MU do not offer…but MU is also $20/year cheaper. But the takeaway is that the data shows trade sales are minimally affected and profitability will likely improve with a similar comics offering as MU

4 Likes

Oh so Batman Returns was a seasonal item! I get it now lol it is probably because of the fact that it takes place in the winter

1 Like

More Filmation stuff is good, but I’d love to see the Ruby Spears Superman cartoon up here. Very underrated.

6 Likes

I think the unaired Aquaman CW pilot would be a fun thing to add in December, since there happens to be a little film starring Arthur Curry on it’s way.

4 Likes

Getting restored, high-def files of the original Donner flicks up here would be GREATLY appreciated…

:rage: I binge watched batman batman returns and batman forever batman and Robin because I wasn’t sure when it would return couldnt u of told us it would be back by Christmas or December

1 Like

Can’t wait for the Batman movies to come backMicheal Keaton was awesome

Why do things keep getting removed & replaced? Why not just build up the library?

7 Likes

Why does this stuff get rotated in the first place?

2 Likes

I agree I’m pretty sure there’s more then enough space to just keep adding to the library without having to rotate

3 Likes

It’s the DC universe app. Everything should be here. If it’s just rotating that’s Netflix. There’s not enough content here to play that game. I have the app so at anytime I can enjoy whatever I feel like enjoying DC.

7 Likes

What’re the chances of getting the lego movies on here?

1 Like

What are the chances of getting Shazam! On here?

2 Likes

I feel like what they’re trying to do makes sense from a business standpoint, trying to keep things from getting stale, but I agree it is annoying to have things removed.

1 Like