Comics You Love That Everyone Else Hates?

Never heard of it tbh. But I’ll add it to my read list!!!

2 Likes

I said this elsewhere on here, but I liked (don’t know if I’d say loved) “Superman: Year One”. I’ve seen nothing but negative reviews and comments about it, but I thought it was a well-written (yes, I said it, well-written), well-drawn, episodic remix and re-contextualization of the familiar beats of Superman’s origin and early years, updated for modern times and placed squarely in the Miller-verse. I enjoyed it.

4 Likes

I’m a big fan of Armageddon 2001 too. Most of the Armageddon 2001 annuals are really good. They highlight the talents of the different writers well. It’s essentially an Elseworlds event. They just didn’t stick the landing.

3 Likes

Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt 90s series.

4 Likes

You are absolutely right! I’ve read all three volumes of Byrne’s Generations and while I’ll admit that some stuff was really “out there”, I wouldn’t have been surprised if we could draw similarities between that and the “5G” initiative which is probably never gonna happen now.

2 Likes
  1. The Superman: Blue era from the ‘90s is secretly great.
  2. I don’t love it (honestly, I don’t even know if I like it) but I really don’t think post-#75 Fables is as bad as it’s often made out to be.
  3. It’s Marvel, but I have a ton of affection for Bendis’ New Avengers.
  4. All-Star Batman and Robin is simultaneously horrible and hilarious and I change from loving it to hating it and back from day to day.
  5. Superman: American Alien is a story I kind of wish I hated, but can’t help but love.
  6. The New Teen Titans is bad and doesn’t deserve the acclaim it’s garnered but I like it anyway.
  7. Sideways is actually a ton of fun and I feel like it got dismissed as a Spider-Man clone (it is, but intentionally; point being, there’s more to it than that) before anyone really gave it a try.
  8. I’ve heard some genuinely terrible stuff about Paul Jenkins’ Inhumans, and I’ve also heard it get a ton of praise. I don’t know what the prevailing opinion is, but I think that series is a masterpiece.
3 Likes

Haha, you know what they say about art and reality. It does get a little out there, but I always find myself coming back. Also your take on Identity Crisis was spot on! I have never read anything more accurate.

3 Likes

Two that immediately spring to mind:

● Extreme Justice

I don’t care how '90s the series may be (all comics are products of their time, so why single out this one?), if the artwork is a tad dodgy or whatever other complaints this book usually gets. I just love how tremendously fun it is. It’s absolutely one of my top Justice League titles of the '90s, and one of my favorite books of the decade in general.

● All-Star Batman and Robin

The artwork is gorgeous, Batman’s defeat (and heckling) of Hal Jordan is great and I don’t have a problem with the writing, as Miller’s Batman has always been over the top, and in a good way. I’ve never understood why some fans think “I’m the ■■■■■■■ Batman!” is something to ridicule.

2 Likes

A more recent example that I just thought of is Batman: Damned. Not exactly a “they hate, I like.” thing. More
of a people got upset and I didn’t really care thing. Everyone online seemed to freak out over the fact that it showed a silhouetted naked Bruce. A lot of the concern was that Batman is supposed to be kid friendly, but it’s literally under Black Label which was started for adult content. And it was all in the shadows so I never understood why this was some sacred/taboo thing. Yet they still went ahead edited copies in the future to remove it. Just super weird thing in my opinion.

4 Likes

I like some of the silver age romance comics.
It is such an ignored genre. Those books have some amazing art because they weren’t bound to the “superhero art” boundaries.

5 Likes

It’s definitely weird the way some genres have just been completely abandoned by comics. I feel like the medium is pretty under explored in recent years.

2 Likes

I can’t think of what I like that is truly hated. I can think of tons of stuff that’s viewed as mediocre and generally ignored.

The Outsiders by Mike W. Barr. Both Volumes.

Azrael by O’Neil.

Young Justice by Peter David. I still feel like the Titans get all the attention in print.

5 Likes

One long word. Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder

Everyone I know hates it because of how stupid and flawed it is, but it’s what I find so appealing. It is a perfect mixture of bad writing and funny dialogue that really makes me like it

Plus this line
panel

4 Likes

I have never read this book haha. Definitely feels weird to here this type of dialogue out if the two. Maybe I’ll give it a try when I get the chance.

I second Superman: For Tomorrow, though I didn’t see that one get that much hate.

If you’ve read some of my posts, you probably have an idea of my predictable answer to this one: Brian Michael Bendis Superman. In my very humble opinion:

• Bendis gave Superman a voice that feels to me like Superman, like I’m in his head.
  • The Unity Saga sprawls through time and space. It connects past (Krypton, Jor-El, Rogol), present, and future (the Legion and United Planets). I love stories like that.
  • I like that the Kents, far from your “typical” family, are put through the ringer, yet the love they have for one another is very much felt throughout the story.
  • The identity reveal, this time around, feels like it will lead to some unorthodox and refreshing stories for the Man of Steel.
  • The action sequences are rather exciting. Sometimes I picture them in my head in live action.
  • Ivan Reis art is some of the best I’ve seen in any comics series.

I’ve read all the negative opinions, and understand what folks dislike, but I just don’t feel that way. Superman and Action Comics, by far, are my current favorite ongoings.

5 Likes

I liked Superman: Year One. Found it was a different, quite enjoyable take on Superman. Also, not usually the biggest fan of JRJR’s art, but man does it look fantastic in this series. I did feel like the 3rd issue was a bit rushed however, especially the coming together of the Trinity. Needed to be fleshed out a bit more.

4 Likes

I love the 5-year-gap in LoSH. Absolutely fantastic writing at a break neck pace.

3 Likes

I absolutely loved the Secret Society of Super-Villains, and quite enjoyed Super-Sons.

4 Likes

Yep! I’m sure it annoyed King. It was also clear to me that the story was in its mid-point.

2 Likes

I think it has to do with the portrayal of women and girls that was on par with 1950’s & early 1960’s morays. So they are on the socially “bad” list right now. But, if one can look at them as a product of their time, they are actually quite good. Henry Simon and Jack Kirby did stories and art for some of those books. It really showcases the width and depth of their creative talents. I don’t think many in the comics field have that kind of flexibility.

Of course DC’s most popular title, Young Love, also was the impetus for the non-DC, underground comic Young Lust which was a satirical look at sexual morays and do include explicit sex. But that title sold for 23 years. (1970-1993). How many comics from that era can boast of that long a run? They must have been doing something right and using satire to tap into something even if the mainstream chooses to willfully ignore it.

3 Likes