Comic Novelizations

Has anyone read any of the novelizations from DC? I bought a few from Amazon and Infinite Crisis came in the mail today. I do have a friend that has read a few of them and he has nothing but good things to say about the novelizations.

5 Likes

I read the Batman: No Man’s Land novel by Greg Rucka, which was pretty good.

Also, Titan publishing recently did a line of big books adapting mostly Batman storylines by some renowned authors, and of those I’ve read The Killing Joke, by Christina Faust, and I’m in the middle of Mad Love by Paul Dini, and both are really good so far, both doing amazing work at adapting and expanding the original material.

5 Likes

No Man’s Land is one of the books I have ordered!

2 Likes

Seconding Rucka’s NML. Good, good stuff.

4 Likes

I have Knightfall, the Death and Return of Superman and Kingdom Come I have a lot of other DC novels but the rest are original stories.

5 Likes

You mean like hardbacks and softbacks? Cause that’s all i own and read lol

3 Likes

Like normal books, not just trades or hard covers of comics. Here are some photos to show the difference. These are of the trade paperback of Infinite Crisis and Infinite Crisis: A Novel.

3 Likes

One I always go back to is Helltown by Denny O’Neil. It’s basically an origin of The Question and it’s amazing! O’Neil’s prose is fantastic.

A couple years after I got it, I went to a signing at a comic shop and asked O’Neil to sign it to me. He was great. I’ve covered up my name but here is the signature:
image image

5 Likes

This is the only one of these DC novels I’ve read. I don’t know if it’s actually, objectively good, or if I was hungry for more O’Neil Question, but I really, really liked it.

4 Likes

I decided to look this up on Amazon to add to my wishlist. The first copy that came up is a bit expensive and you have to pay for shipping!!!
Annotation 2020-03-10 231608

Thankfully, right under this one was a copy for $7.00.

6 Likes

I remember those DC Universe prose novels. I had one that featured Lobo, but the title escapes me. I do know I bought it at Border’s on New Comics Day in 2007 or so, after visiting Ye 'Ol Comic Shoppe.

Helltown must be one hell of a book as, according to that Amazon screenshot, it was published in 1602. Few novels endure for 418 years.

5 Likes

I didn’t even notice that! The price threw me off of my game. However, I wonder if 1602 is a reference to another comic company’s universe.

4 Likes

Helltown was really good.

I remember having a few other Batman themed books, such as Dead White, which is basically Batman fighting a group of radical white supremacists who intend to bomb Washington DC.

3 Likes

Could Neil Gaiman be the seller of that book?

Hmmm…:thinking:

1 Like

It is almost worth the price if he signs it.

Oooooh no i have none of those. So they don’t have art or anything?

1 Like

Recently read the Suicide Squad novelization written by Marv Wolfman based on David Ayer’s screenplay. As a big fan of the movie I thought it was wicked dope, felt like an extended cut. I’d say it digs a bit deeper into character depth that the film didn’t get a chance to. Highly recommended, especially those looking for some more DCEU material.

3 Likes

Correct. These don’t have art. They are normal books.

2 Likes

I’m curious how these stories hold up in a novelized format. Since comics is such a visual medium, I’ve always thought it would be hard to get into one of the novels. Obviously with greats like Dennis O’Neil and Marv Wolfman I imagine the writing is fantastic.

4 Likes

I just wish these were available on Audible. There is little in the way of DC content there. I know Sandman is coming and the four DC Icons books are there, but that is about it.

4 Likes