Comic Novelizations

I have read Death of Superman, Knightfall, Kingdom Come, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, and 52. I like them well enough. I think my favorite is Kingdom Come or Death of Superman (which is some nostalgia as the Superman one I read when it came out) it was new and cool to me.

I have also listened to just about all of these in full cast audio dramas from Graphic Audio, which I love hearing them! (The Kingdom Come one was not done by Graphic Audio though.) I recommend both reading and listening to them.

2 Likes

The audio plays are no longer being sold on Graphic Audio. I missed the Humble Bundle last year that had all of the DC Graphic Audio titles and I have been checking that site religiously so I donā€™t miss something like that again.

2 Likes

I have listened to comics that have be come audiobooks and itā€™s pretty cool itā€™s definitely different.

1 Like

51BRrxbnV6L.AC_SY400
I remember reading this as a kid. A collection of original (not based on a particular comic) short stories that seemed ā€œmore adultā€ than what I was used to from Batman. I had Vol. 3 as well, based around Catwoman, and I always wanted Vol 1. with the Joker but never could track it down (anyone remember Walden Books?)

3 Likes

Greg Cox does a good job with these books. At times he expands but he also had to omit some stuff for brevity. You should enjoy them.

5 Likes

Yep! I remember the Kingdom Come audio drama very well! I first saw it right before my junior year of high school at my local comic shop. They were audio cassettes and I couldnā€™t wrap my head around the concept. They did audiobooks for comics? Later, I learned it was adapting the novelization. But anyway, I remember it was a Saturday and I went to take my SATā€™s. The comic shop I saw the tapes at was nearby, so after I finished my exam, I went to there as a reward. I bought the tapes and a couple of comics.

When I got home, I grabbed my hardcover copy of Kingdom Come, popped in the cassettes and was shocked to realize this thing had music, sound effects and actors. I was blown away. Even better, while it was based on the novelization, it followed the comic pretty closely. To this day when I read the comic and they get to the part with Superman and the tram, I can still hear the music, sound effects and the voice of the guy who plays Norman in my head.

The only Graphic Audio DC Comics story I own is Infinite Crisis which I also enjoyed, but that Kingdom Come set will always have a special place in my heart.

4 Likes

While this was not DC, I had a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comic book on tape as a kid. I listened to it about 100 times and would read the comic. As a person who had just learned to read about 2 years before this was a game changer for me as the audio tape helped me learn how to read comics. Anyway, the tape had voice actors, sound effects and the Ninja Turtle theme song!

2 Likes

@darkstarz25 Did that happen to be the tape/comic where they first met April by any chance?

2 Likes

@superby1 I believe it was! My memory is a bit fuzzy as it has been 20 years give or take that I have heard or read the book. My copy is long gone.
Here is a picture of the one I had.

This site has a deep dive on this comic/cassette and compares the USA version with the Canadian version.

3 Likes

Some more books came in the mail! I think I have one more being shipped, Death of Superman.

I am in love with the art on the Crisis on Infinite Earths by George Perez and Alex Ross.

3 Likes

Yes!!! This is the one I had as a kid! I can still remember the music. Thank you for bringing back so many great memories

2 Likes

It was just a retelling of the first story of TMNT the cartoon series but I think I preferred this a little more.

2 Likes

@darkstarz25 Please tell us how they are after you read them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard Elliott S! Maggieā€™s books are good.

Superman Last Son of Krypton
Superman Miracle Monday

You can check them out on his website and read some for free.

http://elliot.maggin.nu/bibliography.php

3 Likes

Just started reading The Court of Owls by Greg Cox, itā€™s actually a sequel to the comics and not a regular transfer from comic to novel which is super cool and surprised me.

3 Likes

That sounds interesting! How is it so far?

2 Likes

This is an interesting swerve. Hopefully, it is for the better. From what I have read of Infinite Crisis by Greg Cox you are in for a treat.

3 Likes

Very good so far! Everyone is in character and it doesnā€™t lose the mysterious detective aspect from the original comic even though Batman knows about the Court since it is a sequel.

2 Likes

I might have to track this down. It sounds good!

1 Like

Found it at a regular Barnes and Noble so itā€™s not that hard to come by. If you decide to read it I hope you enjoy!

2 Likes