Coloring DC: Adult Coloring Books

It makes you realize how important coloring is to give the drawing mood and feel. I can see different emotions coming from different style of coloring. Here’s to the unsung heroes of comics: colorists!

3 Likes

Welcome to DCUI @TurtlePower. :+1: :smiley:

2 Likes

To be honest, I am not sure which runs these are from. They were like $2.99-$3.99 each.

3 Likes

Welcome to DCUI Community!

I really like your coloring. What kind of pencils are you using?

1 Like

I will probably better read the thread, but first I will ask what is everyone’s choice of what to color with.

A long while ago, i bought a coloring book and I listened to my inner 12 year old and also bought crayons. I know they moved with me, but I wouldn’t mind trying something else. For the record, it was a powerpuff girls coloring book. I don’t really remember if i lingered or if it were impulse, but it was most likely the most superhero-y coloring book on the rack.

4 Likes

COROT watercolor pencil, it is some off brand I got as a gift.

I use pilot and uni-ball pens for color crosshatching, if you get a uni-ball white ink you can make your coloring pop with highlights, awesome for wet and metal surfaces.

4 Likes

Buy a 48 pack of color pencils for about $15-20, and $2 hand sharpener with the blade made in Germany or Japan, don’t buy the 50 cent one with a blade made in China.

5 Likes

Thanks. I am looking primarily for something similar to the crayon, just want something that feels more adult-ish in my hand.

5 Likes

Oil pastels is the grown up version of crayons. If you doing the Power Puff Girls they would work great, you could give them more depth by blending colors. Any children coloring book well with them, since they have minimal ink lines, adult coloring books require a finer touch since it is fully inked.

Go on youtube and search for ADCArtAttack “Professional vs Colouring Book”, I have learned a lot during Covid watching how he colors superheros coloring books.

5 Likes

do you use pencils? if so, what is it that you like. also, the better sharpener is definitely a good tip.

3 Likes

The JSA books are from the original JSA trade run. Same for the final volume of JLA. Good reads!

4 Likes

I use color pencils and color ink. Faber-Castell is solid brand you can find anywhere, you don’t need to break the bank on their pro level, the student level is perfect for coloring books. You just want at least 48 if you want your coloring to have depth, eg on Superman you need light blue for highlights and midnight blue for the part of uniform that touches the black ink. If you get a 12/24 pack you’ll be limited on bringing your character to life.

4 Likes

Water color pencils blend when wet, you really need water color paper to get the full effect. Adult coloring books are slick so they work somewhat, kids coloring books don’t like water bc the paper is very light.

3 Likes

Any art supply store and/or like a Michael’s or a Hobby Lobby would be best? I could also do whatever I can find at like ‘walmart/target’. It’s mostly about play, which is why the crayons were a good fit. And as much as I want it to be fun, I can also work on

3 Likes

You can find F-C art walmart/target/michael’s, michael’s has 20% off coupon you can print/download so if you go there take advantage.

4 Likes

I forgot to check the target and walmart when I was there (curses), but it was for another mission. Which was largely successful. I will have to add it to another mission that I might make later.

4 Likes

I am done with Wonder Woman but that background is going to take some time.

I am using gel pens and watercolor pencils.

8 Likes

If you don’t mind, could you post a photo of the gel pens and watercolor pencils?

4 Likes

These are pictures from the internet of the brands I picked up at Ollie’s.

The pens are pretty good but not much ink in them. The pencils are okay. While there are 72 pencils there are only 36 colors. With that being said, everything that was completed in pencil on Wonder Woman is a composite of multiple colors. Her cape consists of maroon, red, and another color that I can’t remember. Her skin is peach and yellow orange. I hold the pencils so the tip is against the paper at an angle and lightly fill in area with color with multiple “layers” so the color is bright or pops.

4 Likes

Thanks. So for watercolor, you first use the special pencils, then use a thin watercolor brush just using water to go over the pencils?

3 Likes