Coloring DC: Adult Coloring Books

I’m not super happy with how my phone camera works which has me very puzzled …the red doesn’t really come out the way I’m seeing it… but here’s some examples from that particular DC Comics Coloring Book published by Insight Editions. I just saw it on Amazon for like $2.50.

Some of my color pencil fun:

8 Likes

I will be getting 2 of these! One to keep untouched so I can stare at the inking and another one so I can color it! Thank you for letting me know about this book.

5 Likes

These look really fun! I might have to look into getting some myself.

6 Likes

As @KeyFamily said, it’s mostly “old school”… although to me, the stuff from the early 2000s is like yesterday.

4 Likes

Lol, it doesn’t look like it’s from the 2000s! The art style is reminiscent of the Bronze Age comics.

I believe it’s the Bronze Age but please correct me here @TurokSonOfStone1950 - what am I looking at? :face_with_monocle: Lol.

4 Likes

Apologies if I’ve misread something and we’re talking about two different things, but most of the ones shared by Don-el in this

Post are silver age. In fact, they aren’t just reminiscent of silver age art, they are silver age art.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was looking for, @SuperBlueGrodd - thank you! The coloring book may have been published in the 2000s, but because the art is Silver Age, I deemed it “retro/classic”.

Either way, I love this thread and everyone is killing it in the coloring game! :smile:

3 Likes

I had the Batman: Hush volume 1 ACB a few years back, but I never colored it. I’m no Scott Williams, so why bother trying to emulate him?

Still, these are fun to flip through just for the pencil art alone.

4 Likes

What I have fun doing is finding the original cover on like a device like a tablet and then using what limited colored pencils I have to try to emulate what I’m seeing.

4 Likes

That does sound like fun. I wore my existing colored pencils down to nubs some time back, and haven’t replaced them.

Your pieces are quite swell. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

I picked up duplicate copies of the books I have already posted so I can color in one copy and keep one strictly to look at the magnificent inking.

As I was looking for colored pencils at Ollie’s an employee had a cart full of Wonder Woman coloring books! Darn skippy I asked the nice employee if I can snag a few copies before they go on the shelf.

The Wonder Woman book is a different size than the other books and it has full-color pages of comic book covers! This was $1.99 at Ollie’s. Now I just need to find a good set of colored pencils as Ollie’s didn’t have very good quality ones.

Edit: I forgot to post the photos of Wonder Woman: Coloring Book

6 Likes

We either buy from craft stores like Michaels or also Barnes & Noble if they have an art section.

Barnes & Noble also carries the coloring books and frequently they’re on sale from what I can tell, again due to the collapse of the market for adult coloring books.

4 Likes

Gee whiz Mr. Kent, I wish we had Ollie’s here. It looks like a swell place.

3 Likes

I am thinking I might stop at Walmart on the way home from work tonight, if they are still open. I would love to use pastels but those will not work for the double sided coloring book format. I did see water color pencils which are interesting because apparently if you add a little water the pencils become paint?

@Vroom I have almost been purchasing my hardcovers and tpb’s there exclusively. Over the past two weeks I have picked up Batman Noir: The Long Halloween and The Black Mirror for $6.99 each and volumes 1-3, 5 of Ostrander’s Suicide Squad for $4.99 or less and soooo many other books. Today’s purchases included some JSA, JLA, and Sleeper books.

5 Likes

I see Perez on Wonder Woman Post Crisis

An All Star from the Golden Age

And early Silver Age Justice League of America

4 Likes

Thank you @TurokSonOfStone1950!

3 Likes

Yup :+1:

3 Likes

Assuming those are from the JSA and JLA ongoings, are they from the original trade runs or the newer releases?

3 Likes

Found some more of mine. Beware, there’s a lot of unfinished pages in here haha.

5 Likes

I have the Hush/Court of Owls comic versions. A note with the Coloring DC they’re made with nice paper but they’re double sided, so you have to color with pencil (and I throw in some pen ink) with light pressure. DC should copy Marvel’s Color Your Own series for the character anthologies, their books are single sided and perforated. Double side makes sense for coloring a complete comic book so you can read your art work later, but for a collection of covers and full page art from a character’s history it should be able to be removed for display.

5 Likes