Choose one of these people to stay dead.

Wally was in Rebirth for a while but it looks like they’re benching him now with Heroes in Crisis.

2 Likes

Hal Jordan because he’s become the least interesting Green Lantern.

Barry. I think he actually had a great presence while dead. He was an inspiration and his heroic death spawned a lot of other stories and great character reflections. He was the one big hero who really could have carried that inspiring big death for the DCU (Superman and Batman aren’t staying dead) and he had a successful legacy transition that lasted a couple decades. With Barry back, the DCU lost that big inspirational, selfless, sacrificing, ideal hero (although there were some stories that seemed to try and tarnish that ideal).

Don’t get me wrong, I like Barry well enough, but I don’t think his return was handled as well as other characters’ rebirths. In my opinion, all the other characters on the list created more interesting stories and interactions throughout the DCU than they took away.

• Hal’s return restored/redeemed a fallen hero, created fun interactions between the ‘four horsemen’ human Green Lanterns, created interesting interactions with the Justice League and other characters he’d interacted with as a villain, and brought about all the various Lantern Corps as well as Blackest Night, Brightest day, War of Light, etc. I also just find Hal a lot of fun to read. (Also, I thought Kyle was hilarious, when he was channeling Hal through the ring in HJatGLC.)
  • Kara actually remembers Krypton and feels its loss differently than Superman, so we get a fresh look at that corner of the world.
  • Jason’s death greatly impacted Batman and the Bat-family. He could have stayed dead, but subsequent Robins could/would have lessened the impact of a single death just as much as the new trope of ‘killing’ all Robins. Making Bruce face his greatest failure was a great story. Showcasing the debate over Batman’s ‘no killing’ code was a great story. (I really like Under the Hood…) Regardless of how Jason is liked in current continuity, he’s a character that added stories to the world around him instead of replacing other established characters and their supporting cast.
  • Kal El was never going to stay dead, so his death and return expanded the world. We got other characters (Superboy, Steel) that continued to thrive after Superman’s return.
  • Barry has had some great stories, since his return (I liked Flashpoint itself), but instead of expanding the Flash world, it seems smaller without the supporting cast that Wally’s Flash had. Post-Flashpoint, we lost Wally, Bart, Jay, Max, Jesse, Linda, Jai, and Iris (II). We got Wallace and a fake Bart (or something? I don’t know if he exists any more). Rebirth brought back (or hinted at) some of these characters, which I think was a step in the right direction, but the extended Flash family I loved is still greatly depleted. Wally got attention at the launch of Rebirth, then again in Flash War, but Heroes in Crisis does not look good for Wally fans.
4 Likes

Kara

1 Like

@c02goddess.16092: I was going to add another lengthy reply, but I pretty much agree with everything you said.

2 Likes

Hal !

Green lantern. I despise green lantern I read blackest night for the flash and batman but skipped his.

Barry Allen. Wally West was the one time having someone take over the mantle of another hero was truly successful. I think it was a bad move bringing Barry Allen back.

4 Likes

Barry Allen, I like him but at the same time he is at the center of nearly every universe changing crisis.

1 Like

Well Barry kinda could have stayed dead and it would work. The torch was sucessfully passed to Wally. Now that Wally is a mass murdering prick, ya need Barry.

I like Hal, but there are several Green Lanterns that can fill the void without difficulty.

I’m fine with either Jason or Kara dying, I don’t hate them, but I don’t love them.

So just spare Clark and Barry

Barry Allen. After he died Wally did more for the DC universe in five years than Barry did from the beginning of his creation on up.

2 Likes

Hal Jordan he has so many more interesting replacements to follow up on.

2 Likes

Hal Jordan he has so many more interesting replacements to follow up on.

Die, Hal! There are ten trillion Lanterns from Earth and Hal is the least interesting.

Admittedly, haven’t read a ton of Green Lantern.

Barry Allen.
For better or worse, they HAD to bring Hal back. The way he went was just…awful. It needed to be undone, and he needed to at least restore his legacy as one of the good guys (though, yes, there ARE more interesting Lanterns out there).
But Barry? Barry went out a HERO. He saved the Multiverse (mostly). Wally was an established character deserving of the mantle, and he wore it for TWO decades before Barry came back. For at least two generations of fans, Wally West was THE Flash. There was no reason to bring Barry back.

5 Likes

Easy Jason Todd hands down no one can replace dick Grayson

Barry Allen

2 Likes

Jason Todd. Prior to his re-introduction, he was one of the few characters in comics that stayed dead.

Removing him from the modern Batman mythos wouldn’t seismically upend anything the way removing most of the other listed characters would.

2 Likes

Jason Todd: as much as I like red hood I don’t think him staying dead would have changed all that much for the Batman mythos

1 Like

I love jason todd
So barry allen is my choice
Yeah thought I would say jason huh
Barry died a hero so its fine if he stays dead

2 Likes