Characters Costumes: What Would You Change?

Ambush Bug
nightwing.JPG
Chris Kent- Lor Zod - Nightwing

Red death
There are other characters costumes I find just as cool. Honorable mentions - raven, deathstroke, shining knight and green lantern.

5 Likes

I don’t have any ones I would change but my favorites are:

Harley Quinn: Birds Of Prey(All costumes)
Harley Quinn Rebirth
Batwoman: CW TV Series
DeadShot
El Diablo

4 Likes

I would like to see Wonder Woman’s armor again. I always thought it would make more sense for her to wear actual armor rather than a skirt (though I do like her current design).

As for my favorites…

God, I love trenchcoats.
-M

9 Likes

I actually have that exact pic of WW stored on my iPad. I love that, & the gold armor on her too.

3 Likes

Erase the boob window. We all know who I’m talking about. “But what will go in its place?” you ask! Nothing. It’s fine. The clean white works for her. If we need more visual interest on the chest, get it from the over-the-shoulder cape and gold clasp.

That’s the only one that isn’t just a matter of picking a canon costume that I prefer. Well, I suppose I also think Batwing could use a new design that’s a bit more timeless than “what if Batman Beyond was a Tron reference”, but that’s a little too vague for me.

I’m a really big fan of all the Robin costumes. They’re really perfect in visually telling you everything you need to know about who’s wearing it without sacrificing an ounce of iconography. Dick’s is bright and fun and airy, perfect for an ex-acrobat 12-year-old that’s excited to get out there and help people. Jason’s is almost perfectly identical to Dick’s, but a little off, just as Jason was always textually and meta-textually an imperfect replacement for Dick. Tim’s first suit borrows a ton from the original, but is distinct, more modest, and a bit more practical - Tim may be Robin, but he’s not going to be another Dick or another Jason. Stephanie’s is just a slightly modified version of Tim’s - she’s just borrowing it for a little bit. Tim’s OYL suit trades the green in for black, fully covers, and borrows Batsy’s scalloped cape and spiked gloves, perfectly reflecting his darker and more closed-off shift after the death of his father and best friend - he may not be like Dick or Tim, but he’s starting to be a lot like Bruce. Damian’s first costume is a perfect blend of all the influences in his life - his dad, his grandfather, and his brothers Dick, Jason, and Tim, and his current costume is just all of those influences growing into a healthier balance with some new, original personality being brought in, just as Damian’s mostly gotten past the pulled-in-a-dozen-directions thing. There aren’t a lot of costumes that can go through so many drastic redesigns that are almost all instantly recognizable in both mantle and mantle-bearer, and every little change that gets made to that suit instantly changes the feel of the character. I love it.

6 Likes

The best costumes:
-B:TAS Batman
-Byrne Superman
-Flash (as drawn by Infantino and such)
-Robin (original Dick Grayson outfit)
-Nightwing (with a blue v, don’t give me none of that red $&!@)

4 Likes

I’ve always loved most of the Batfamily’s incarnations. They look sleek, tough and like an organic part of Gotham. The Robins are flashy, but with purpose (symbolically and, I suppose, functionally, as far as using child soldiers to draw fire goes, haha). I do miss the yellow sigil.

The only one I’ve ever hated, and I mean really hated, is Huntress’ from the OP (don’t hate me, @capo-mage!). I just think it’s f’ugly. It brings me distractions and sadness. It is the plumber’s crack of my superhero escapism.

Outside of Batfam, I’ve almost always adored Zatanna’s look (fishnets preferred). It brings up imagery of Bradbury-circuses and old-timey magic shows, which is definitely my aesthetic sweet spot.

… weirdly enough, while typing this up, I did a google search on one character to find a certain outfit and came across some OLD artwork I did that someone stole and uploaded to a random site.

3 Likes

That’s crazy, somebody stole your creation. Not cool. No hard feelings at all on Huntress lol. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is a true statement.

2 Likes

@capo-mage ha, ty! My fav Supergirl design is the one that you shared a pic of :v:

And it’s okay about the art! It’s not very good. That’s why it caught me off guard to see it come up as a result.

1 Like

I have trouble believing it’s not good after seeing countless examples of your talent. Everyone is their own worst critic tho. There’s a Huntress I can’t stand. The mullet days one. Idk if that’s the one u meant but I pretend that version doesn’t exist lol.

2 Likes

Aw, you’re very kind, but this thing has gotta be over 10 years old. We all gotta start somewhere with art, and this wasn’t a flattering beginning. :slight_smile: Haha, and I remember mullet Huntress! Way back when there was a “who wore it better” thread for her and Dick.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was a rough one for me. I’d almost forgot about it until that :joy:.Thats a really bad one.

1 Like

I’ve only skimmed the surface of comics over the last several months, so I can’t claim any strong dislike as of this point. I don’t care for PG brest window, or anything else overly sexualized. There’s a line between feminine and designed for eye candy, but that’s all already been said. Oh, and also Ivy’s leaf bathing suit. Seriously, you have the range of using all plants to design a costume, and you go with that?

What I found myself unexpectedly enjoying was most of the Bombshells designs; they were so clever and fun! But also different enough to stand out. The Gentleman Ghost has also always stood out to me as a really fun design. And I like DCSuperHeroGirls’s Supergirl better than any other, in design and personality. (Supergirl has always struck me as generic, but I do not have a enough experience with the character to have a definitive opinion. )

5 Likes

I’ll have to say I really like about all costumes. Especially anything Jack “The King” Kirby created. But these are my Favorite Costumes:

1. Superman

2. Firestorm

3. Mister Miracle

4. Deathstroke (w/ Pirate Boots)

5. Lord Superman

3 Likes

“Way back when”?! My threads are timeless!

4 Likes

Ooh, that reminds me: I approve of pretty much any costume with pirate boots, and Deathstroke’s are the longest and floppiest of them all.

7 Likes

Sorry, dad

6 Likes

Gasp He’s your… and your his… AHHHHH!

6 Likes

That would take some wonky time travel! But @JeepersItsTheJamags’ puns automatically earn him the dad card.

2 Likes

It’s only fitting that @CynicalPink is Nightwing and @JeepersItsTheJamags is Batman in their icons

3 Likes