Blue Beetle Debut Trailer--Official Discussion Thread

Thx for the heads up here @Jay_Kay. :+1:

6 Likes

Agreed. I’ve also been seeing some of the Marvel Only trolls likening Jaime to Ant Man. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Agreed.

6 Likes

Yay @mccaggers91! You have been missed- so good to see you again. :hugs:

5 Likes

I get it. For me the line was less of a politicization thing and more a funny bit for Lopez to make light of the times we’re currently in. Just a fun goof. :smiley:

5 Likes

A huge sigh and … meh, sorry. It looks so stock, so run of the mill generic. Nothing against Blue Beetle, and nothing against people who wanna see it. But it gave me the same feelings as the Shazam 2 trailer.

5 Likes

Thanks so much @DC89! Happy to be back!

7 Likes

To quote someone, “There’s nothing in this that feels unique or interesting to me. Maybe I’ve just been around the block a few too many times but the inclusion of connected universe material (“Batman is a fascist” - ■■■■ off film) and Jaime’s cultural background don’t mean anything to me.”

3 Likes

It’s unfortunate that a live-action Latin-led superhero film doesn’t ring as unique to you, but hey–not every film is for every person! And that’s ok.

As a Puerto Rican, this movie is incredibly unique to me. The representation is true and the depiction of a hispanic family is pure, even just from this trailer. And the fact that it’s directed by a Puerto Rican is just icing on the beetle-shaped cake…might not mean much to some, but it’s a massive deal for many.

12 Likes

Wooo! I love me a good reunion!

7 Likes

This movie looks fantastic! I didn’t realize that it came out this year, so I am surprised and excited! That suit looks amazing! Everything about that trailer was great.

I haven’t read too much of Jaime before, most of my knowledge is from the Young Justice show, but I’ll be checking out his comic series @Jay_Kay posted up a while ago. Thanks!

As for that Batman line… that was hysterical. I don’t understand the hate for that or for this movie because of this trailer. I’m thrilled for Blue Beetle get a full movie. Hopefully, this will lead the way for other ‘lesser-known’ heroes to get their own movies. (No offense meant to Jaime and others, you all know what I am trying to say.)

11 Likes

Agreed. :+1:

10 Likes

Yay! :smiley:

8 Likes

Well, it looks like we’ll be free of that pesky “hiding your secret identity from your family” trope!

I heard that Jaime is a college graduate in this movie. While this may not be true, I hope it is. Teen superheroes tend to get stuck as high schoolers or college freshman forever, so I’m hoping this movie gives us more opportunities to see young heroes in the new adulthood stage of life.

7 Likes

Agreed! Since I saw Peacemaker doing it I love the idea up smaller characters in DC taking pot shots at the big leagues.

No one ever seems to mind when Tony Stark (or others) makes fun of each other in the MCU, it’s ALL just some good fun not to be taken seriously. :laughing:

I’m gonna keep a close eye if Jaime has any Final Fantasy 7 merch in his room because that Sword he generated looks suspiciously similar :eye: :eye:

7 Likes

Good point about the high school vs college angle–I agree with you!

I saw an interview with the director of Blue Beetle, and he mentioned that in a Latin family, its very hard to hide anything–which I can ABSOLUTELY attest to. I never got away with anything as a kid! But I liked how he gave a really practical/true reason as to why Jaime’s superhero identity had to be open from the start.

10 Likes

Love me a buster sword!

7 Likes

One shot of the trailer gave me We Can Be Heroes and SpyKids vibes. One of the example’s being the shot on the bottom right corner with the dramatic lighting.

8 Likes

Woah, great eye. Can definitely see the Spy Kids vibes!

6 Likes

Thx

5 Likes