Blue Beetle Debut Trailer--Official Discussion Thread

(from my post in @MatthewHecht’s Blue Beetle trailer thread)

This looks super good! I didn’t know that Xolo Maridueña (Miguel from Cobra Kai) is playing Jaime R. Fantastic! Now, I’m not as familiar with Blue Beetle and his universe as much as a lot of peeps here in DCUI are but I’m gonna’ remedy that super quick. :+1: I was kinda’ expecting to see some sort of reference to Ted K. somewhere in the trailer but apparently Susan Sarandon is playing his sister Victoria and from what I’ve learned so far she’s new to the DCU, so there’s that.

The teaser poster looks awesome as well. :+1: I’m def hitting the multiplex when this opens. Yep!

5 Likes

:laughing:

Sorry @MatthewHecht but I :purple_heart:ed that line as well. So funny! :smile:

6 Likes

Yeah – though something to keep in mind is that we’re in an age where you can choose to wait to see movies in streaming, so I wouldn’t be surprised if movies like Quantumania and Shazam Fury of the Gods get a bump when those movies go on their platforms.

And Dan Garrett’s was as well! Makes me wonder if maybe they’re hiding a Ted cameo or something, that would be cool.

Same here – hell, just the announcement for the trailer yesterday got me reading his first series in 2006 and I got up to issue 6.

She actually showed up recently in the Blue Beetle: Graduation Day miniseries that’s going on right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if the creative team for that was asked to add some characters like that for a little synergy.

3 Likes

Looks like it’ll be fun. Haven’t read any BB comics but I’m still pretty familiar with Jaime and the history of the mantle. And certain shots do dhow it will have easter eggs that pay homage to the legacy.

Bit too soon to judge the comedy. But I really like how the family is up to date on all of this, starting with the first transformation. It’s unqiue to habe family and loved ones up to speed from the get-go instead of later on. The costume looks super cool, some neat visuals, and action seems promising.

5 Likes

Before the trailer: I was only tangentially familiar with Blue Beetle from team comics and some of the animated stuff.

After the trailer: I’m still only tangentially familiar, but my interest level has soared. I’m going to be checking out those comics they showed at the end of the trailer. Looks awesome.

7 Likes

Looks awesome™:+1:.
Seems like there’ll be lots of laughs and great action. Definitely the nice young hero vibe. The Batman line got me​:laughing:. The weapons seem crazy. Exited for it.

5 Likes

:+1:

I had heard somewhere on the interwebz a year or so back that SNL alum and Ted Lasso star Jason Sudeikis was slated to cameo in this film as Ted K. but I guess that fell through or was maybe just enthusiastic speculation? :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m not watching now cause they bad mouthed batman everyone is entitled to there opinion but there not getting my money now

4 Likes

Little advice on that:

If you’re going to read all three books mentioned, I would start with this order:

Infinite Crisis – it’s technically Jamie’s first big foray as a superhero, though of course he’s just a small player in that story. It does lead right into –

Blue Beetle (2006-2009) – This is the book that made a lot of people fall in love with the character and his world/family. If you can only read one of these books, choose this one. That said…

Blue Beetle: Graduation Day – This is an interesting one, because it’s actually a current mini-series that isn’t finished yet. I’ve been reading it as it comes out and it’s been pretty good, though I think it definitely helps to have some history with the character before getting into it.

6 Likes

i’m so proud!!!

giphy

texas-pewie-herman

AgedSpicyBluetonguelizard-size_restricted

3Wdy7m

i think the thing i’m looking forward to most is Uncle George Lopez??? “Batman is a fascist!”

8 Likes

Thanks for this. I read Infinite Crisis a long time ago, so I’ll probably skip that one (for now… at some point I want to re-read all the DC crises).

5 Likes

Was he taking an unauthorized break. Do not me to be sympaphetic about that. I love scraping gum. Especially when it is rainbow colored. Maybe they gave him sucky equipment.

Based on recent box office reports I think that screaming scene is going to hurt them financially [The early reports are all over the place].

Nice wings.

You “think” you cut a bus in half.

Who is the villain? It better be somebody more powerful than guys with guns. I really hope the movie does not pretend those guys can challenge Blue Beetle.

4 Likes

The youtube reactions seem very positive.

3 Likes

The trailer for this movie looked good, but I’m not going to lie, I’m not really interested in seeing this film. Especially as somebody who isn’t very familiar with the character of Blue Beetle. Suit looks great though. I am going to agree with @MatthewHecht , I wasn’t a big fan of that “Batman is a fascist” comment. Makes me wonder if George Lopez’s character is going to say something similar about Superman probably being a “Nationalist” or other any other characters throughout the movie

3 Likes

I’m super excited for this movie! I looks great. And of course the suit is perfect. I just wish it would release sooner. I think Blue Beetle is an awesome character and I can’t wait! :blue_square: :beetle:

4 Likes

This is one of the very few times I think they might have shown a bit too much in the trailer. I would have cut it after he’s dragged through the ceiling. Love the vibes though! I don’t know much about Jamie beyond what I saw in Batman: Brave and the Bold. But the casting seems perfect! Looks like its going to be a lot of fun!

8 Likes

Looks really great.

I really wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I am.

10 Likes

I think Blue Beetle is one of those characters who is really overdue for the spotlight, so I’m very happy to see everyone so excited about this.

10 Likes

im super excited not gonna lie I thought this movie was cancelled so Im pleasantly surprised, the suit still looks awesome

5 Likes

A. It’s hysterical to read some of the normie reactions. An actual journalist wrote an actual story referring to it as “Iron Man comes to the DCU.” I’d seen photographs of the suit but figured he meant they had made the suit look far more metalic, but this is such a stupid and clearly lazy take. If anything, Cyborg in the 2017 film gave far more vibes of the Iron Manlet due to the helmet design and flight clip that made the rounds.

@Jay_Kay I agree that this audio mix was not good, but also that this is not a great trailer in the same vein that the two Shadzfam trailers were not good for that film, either. It certainly didn’t make me excited about the film on it’s own, versus the excitement I feel as a DC fan.

B. I think the movie could hit but they need a quieter trailer or a quieter featurette; I was really surprised at the number of promotional videos they released for this past weekends D&D movie but in retrospect, I think it was a good idea. I think a good featurette with Helen, Lucy and Rachel talking about Greek myths and that godly pantheon would have been a good, short promotional bit for the Shazam sequel, for example.

4 Likes