Blackest Night - Week 1 [6/01 - 6/08]

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/g/LanternCorps

4 Likes

Little behind, but finished these earlier today. I read the main part of this event when it came out and I have read parts of it since, including these three issues.

I think my favorite stories are the ones previously mentioned, such as Saint Walker’s, Bleez, and Kilowog’s. Fun fact about Kilowog’s that I don’t think has been mentioned yet: the drill instructor that trained him was obviously based on former Marine drill instructor turned actor R Lee Ermey, most famous for his role in Full Metal Jacket. The story would also be later adapted in the animated movie Green Lantern: Emerald Knights.

6 Likes

Love full metal jacket. I was wondering what the similarity between the two characters is, other than that they’re both tough drill instructors? Or is Ermey just the template for a tough drill instructor that writers always use? (I’m not disputing your reference, just trying to see the connection myself, as well as keep the conversation going)

5 Likes

I mean, the GL drill instructor was literally named Ermey. I’m pretty sure Peter Tomasi also mentioned it in the past, most likely when Ermey died in 2018.

Fun fact while we’re talking about Ermey and DC, he actually voiced the character of Wildcat in the Batman: The Brave & The Bold animated series.

7 Likes

I feel kind of silly for missing the name. Very interesting facts about ermey, though

4 Likes

Have the song queued so I can listen to it when I wake up. I’m going to sleep soon. Never heard of it. Thanks for mentioning it.

5 Likes

Word. Great insight!

Also a Sick Movie!

1 Like

Issue 3. I love kilowog, and that kind of origin was perfect.

Not anything that I remember.

Yep, I believe I read the essential edition about 2 years ago, though I just recently was shifting through different scenes in the book. I actually think I’ve only read one or two tie ins, so this will be fun :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Way behind here, but I’m gonna try to catch up.
Never read Blackest Night before. Knew of it, but not read it. Anyway, I’m not gonna let that stop me from conversating with y’all about it.
Easily my favorite book was #1. The story of Saint Walker really hit home with me. Made me think of the story of Job from the Bible. So much loss at every turn and yet still keeps his faith.

2 Likes