Blackest Night - Week 1 [6/01 - 6/08]

Thank you. I appreciate that a lot.

3 Likes

The fact that this story still feels so new to me is crazy. New 52 seems old to me but BN is still fresh for me.

3 Likes

No problem. You and I have experienced some similar tragedies and I know from experience it’s always good to have someone to talk with.

It’s true what you said though, this arc is 11 years old (older then both my kids ages combined haha) and it still feels fresh and new. I really do not think this whole story arc will age.
For example giving that we are talking about the first 3 issues. Everyone at some point in their lives is looking for hope and if they’re comic fans just reading the Saint Walker origin can help bring that hope.
@Highball2814.9 you and I can relate to the Kilowog story so can other military members who have gone through boot camp.
The Carol story and what you would do for your true love.
Heck even the Arisa story about family legacy and how important and terrifying that can be.
All these stories are relatable for any time period.
I think that is the attraction of Green Lantern to me and what makes the character and stories timeless.

5 Likes

I said I wouldn’t jump ahead, but I thought a great point of discussion is the role of the yellow, red, and orange lantern(s). While they’re enemies up to this point, we really see their role in the war against Nekron’s forces become essential. Its corny, but remember the movie Independence Day? (I’m sure I could think of a better example if I really tried). The alien threat kind of united the world’s nations against a greater evil.
In no way do I expect to achieve world peace, nor believe we have no reason for military force now. But it’s a nice thought.

I think about our world wars where nations formed alliances to eliminate evil. And it fills me with hope when thinking about upcoming conflicts.

3 Likes

That’s a really interesting point!
The " Greater Threat" Or “Enemies of my Enemies…” Is a common trend in comic story lines.
I’m afraid in Real Life occurrences those unification’s are far less permanent, while Nations revert back to there individual issues when the Large Scale “Crisis” is over.
Furthermore, it’s almost sad to think the Super-Villain Concept that destruction or large scale sacrifice is a necessary catalysis for change MAY actually have validity to it. That isn’t something I want to believe.
I want to believe that it doesn’t take HORRIBLE ACTIONS to unite Humanity, I want to believe there is something SO POSITIVE the Whole World will Jump on board.
I reference My personal Idol Nikola Tesla, that had no interest in anything Social, just a deep interest in what was to benefit Humanity, not Society…
But I Digress…
Oscar Wilde, The decay of Lying: " Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life ".

2 Likes

@GL-Batophobia, You’ll post the next group on the 8th, yeah? I got little green, masked ants with power rings in my pants!

3 Likes

Agree with that statement @PR0FESS0RZ00M, I can not wait to talk about the actual story.

4 Likes

Ya I guess that’s the baseline of almost every team up isn’t it?

1 Like

Some of the Best at least… like IDK… Crisis on Infinite Earths! Or more to our Point. Hal and Sinestro…

3 Likes

I haven’t read those 3 issues in 5 years. I bought the 7 blackest night hardcovers then. I started reading issue #1 a couple of days ago on DC universe and I noticed that it wasn’t the same as the TPB (Blackest Night Tales of the Corps), so I’m going to tell you my favorite story Carol’s story was amazing. She knew what it would mean to say yes to the ring of the Star Sapphires. She knows what being a Lantern had done to Hal and her relationship. But once she could see what was coming, she saw the universe was in danger of existence. Her love for the Universe and Hal, the answer to the ring was immediate “I Accept “

6 Likes

Was there a different story, or a missing story in the tpb? Extra story? Just curious.

1 Like

No just a different order, the order in the TPB is #3 #2 #1

2 Likes

Notice the Factory Sealed “Brightest Day” Eaglemoss Special Editions… IN ENGLISH! Just took a second to brag, feel free to disregard.

6 Likes

If only his story was a happy one… I’d like to think society has gotten better at supporting people like that, though. Maybe if he had lived today he could have gotten support from crowdfunding.

4 Likes

Tesla theorized that the application of electricity to the brain enhanced intelligence. In 1912, he crafted “a plan to make dull students bright by saturating them unconsciously with electricity,” wiring the walls of a schoolroom and, “saturating [the schoolroom] with infinitesimal electric waves vibrating at high frequency. The whole room will thus, Mr. Tesla claims, be converted into a health-giving and stimulating electromagnetic field or ‘bath.’”

The plan was, at least provisionally, approved by then superintendent of New York City schools, William H. Maxwell.

3 Likes

That’s a great point!
What Would happen with “a” Tesla in today’s Society? What could one do with the advances that have happened since, but it also raises the question that if Tesla didn’t present the knowledge when he did, would we even have the Tech we do now?
I think, if we take out Tesla Specifically and put an Equally Moral, Creative and Intelligent individual in today’s society, I still sorta think it would play out similarly. Unless the person had a person drive for recognition, I still believe the CURRENT “Captains of Industry” would do the same to a person that wasn’t really interested in “Protecting” his work but rather sharing it freely. If someone told Tessla that he should be protecting his idea’s from theft, he may respond with something like you can’t steal what is freely given, or something profoundly amazing…
Amazon would let him sell his Idea as a 3rd Party Seller, Then Steal his Idea and sell it for cheaper with free Prime shipping.
Without a Fundamental change in Tesla’s Moral Compass, causing it to point more to himself then humanity, the same result may repeat itself.
In My Opinion… I would really like to believe that the more Woke Culture we live in would stand behind him, and it is Extremely easier today to protect Intellectual Property, but the man’s Ethics had a big role in the advantage people(Edison…) took of him.

4 Likes

This will always hold a special place for me,I remember driving from planning my wedding with my then fiancée and the song “DC Comics and Chocolate Milkshakes” came on the radio,and afterward the DJ was saying how much he liked Darkest Night so far and if you haven’t been reading it,you should catch up. I hadn’t ever heard any mainstream coverage of a comic book story like that since Supes died.

You guys taking about kids dying and being in war and stuff and green lantern helping you carry on,it’s amazing. These stories have such power.

How do I join this club and get in on the read along? I know I’m late but I can cram these three issues tomorrow. I’ve read the main series but never the tie in stuff

6 Likes

I suggest going to the Club Directory, read on how to join a club pinned at the top. Find our club. Yes read up on the Blackest Night.

You said the song DC Comics and Chocolate Shakes? I have never heard of that song. I will have to look into it.

3 Likes

Song is by Art Brut

4 Likes

I love the hardcovers

4 Likes