Black Canary Solo Movie in the Works at HBO Max!

If this is still going through, I think it’ll be the Black canary from the “Birds of Prey” movie

2 Likes

As of May, Misha Green was still actively working on the script, with no news of it being canned since. (She has, gone radio silent on social media since, I think?) There have been rumors that HBOMax is looking to do more series and less direct-to-stream movies, so maybe it will change shape. But I’m pretty sure Jurnee Smollett has always been attached as the lead, as it was pitched as an in-movie-universe story, like Peacemaker.

As others have mentioned, I would love for the story to involve getting some backstory on her mother, so for a villain I would love to see them use the mother/daughter Tigresses (even though it would overlap Stargirl universe a bit). Since BC doesn’t have too many of her own, dedicated enemies, I would guess they’ll dip in to those shared with Ollie and/or the JLA (gimme Satin Satan!!!). I’m still hoping the emoji hint means having to rescue Ollie, so it would be fun to see the Ninth Circle adapted well (and a proper, full kid Emiko?), or maybe a Connor-free version of the Monkey Cult. Or maybe Basilisk as the apparent big bad, with the Ninth Circle exposed as the bigger bad at the very end, setting up both a BOP sequel and Ollie/Dinah team up movie?

#aboycandream

2 Likes

I’m guessing this project is dead. We’re more than two years from when Birds of Prey came out, and we have new Discovery management that is less eager to spend money. I wouldn’t mind being wrong on this one, though

2 Likes

As of a few weeks ago it was still active from Smollet’s POV. Nothing about Discovery’s acquisition has indicated a change in direction. I think it’s fair to suspect it might not be exactly as originally envisioned, but there’s no concrete indication of change.

source: THR 23June2022

Not overtly saying “my solo movie is still definitely happening,” of course, but doesn’t sound like someone who has had a project canned.

I wouldn’t count duration from BOP release as relevant. We’ve been in a global pandemic significantly affecting filming logistics, and it took them over a year from release to even announce that the sequel project was happening. Some scripts have been in development for far longer than the 11 months (probably less) that Green has been signed on for.

2 Likes

Yes! I’m down with this!

4 Likes

I have to say all of this website’s stories look 180% unreliable to me, but this article claims we’ll be seeing Black Canary again before there’s a Black Canary movie (warning - potential spoilers)

See Austin Butler As DC’s Green Arrow (giantfreakinrobot.com)

Yeah…if Giant Frequent Robot releases an article that says “The Sky Is Blue,” I’m going outside to check for myself. That’s how unreliable they are.

5 Likes

The sky is black right now.

2 Likes