Best Moments in the Arkham games?

AK Opinions

Huh! I won’t claim it was perfect (I have no idea why they did Tim/Babs???), I was initially very mad about the fakeout re: Babs’s death (I can kind of appreciate parts of it now… it serves as a deliberate mirror/parallel to the Joker faking Jason’s death, and it helps highlight how important Oracle was, but it also meant I found myself rushing through the main plot just to get her back), and I don’t love all the stuff they did with Jason (God, though, Troy Baker nailed that VA work), but I thought it was a very tightly written game, more so than the prequels. I loved the head Joker that hangs around, I thought the writing on Selina was muuuuuuuuch better than Arkham City, and the entire end siege sequence at the GCPD was a love letter to Oracle. It was so good getting to hang out with her for a while after so long without Oracle in the comics. The ending fight between Joker and Batman was incredible to me… there wasn’t a lot of gameplay involved, but it felt very well written, like the inversion of the weird Joker boss fight at the end of AA. Having Bruce’s identity be revealed was A Choice, but I can appreciate it as a “we’re wrapping up the series, let’s do something no one else would ever get to do” thing, the same as them killing off the Joker. Aside from the Batmobile, I loved the new mechanics, and it was really fun seeing genre-savvy mooks after so many games. It felt like the entire game was that one Mr. Freeze boss fight from Arkham City, and I loved how it really made the player go “■■■■, this guy really knows me.” They made a lot of decisions I’d never want in a main continuity scenario, but as an alternate “what if?” timeline I really enjoyed the story and gameplay, and it felt like the writers really loved the characters and wanted them to feel real.

4 Likes

That one point in the first game (I think) where you’re fighting Scarecrow and the game makes you think you just got the deathly Blue Screen

5 Likes

Its hard to pick a moment, so ill just say the entirety of Arkham City.

P.S I think every game is fantastic. Origins does not get enough love.

5 Likes

I loved all these games so choosing was hard.

Asylum

I didn’t like the scarecrow stuff so much… I have to say the Joker intercom and Bane fight.

City

I really liked the fake Joker reveal. I noticed that Joker seemed to be ill then not ill and whatnot and that a few things didn’t add up but when he got up after Talia stabbed him… It all made sense. Wonderful.

Knight

Mr Freeze’s DLC brought me to tears. Loved it. Second is the Joker. I’m even dead and I can’t stop laughing. What else can I dooo? I’m a part of you.

I never played Origins. Just haven’t got a system it can work and the money to buy it yet.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was the biggest complaint I saw. In some ways it does feel a bit forced. Being the last Batman game and finally adding a Batmobile experience, I think they wanted to incorporate that a lot more.
Driving in first person actually made those Challenges easier if I remember.

5 Likes
A few of my issues...

OK, to be fair, I didn’t finish the game so I didn’t even know this was a thing. But the reason I didn’t finish it was I was mad at it. Partially because of…

… This. And they took it back, but as far as I’m concerned that’s just cowardice on top of the fridge-iness.

But other gripes:

• The big villain is an obvious Jason Todd ripoff, and the big twist is that no, he’s actually just Version 1.0 again, wearing a second disguise over the one he already has that’s blatantly only for the audience’s benefit. I would’ve found him a lot more engaging if they’d been upfront with the fact that they were using Jason instead of doing this sad little pretend mystery. The reveal surprised me, yes, but only because Jason was such an overwhelmingly obvious Red H…erring. (Troy Baker is great, though.)

• Head-Joker was interesting for a little while, but I felt like he got old after a certain point, because the plot isn’t really about the Joker. Sure, he’s got a fair amount of posthumous impact, and I can’t be totally mad at more Mark Hamill, but still.

• Selina was something of an improvement, but it came at the expense of being paired with the Riddler, whose deteriorated mental state makes sense logically but made him not remotely as fun to match wits against as he was in the prior games. Part of it is just that I think the dialogue is weaker. His insults aren’t nearly as creative and are more focused on talking you down than talking himself up, so basically you just have this really obnoxious jerk screaming in your ear. And the challenges themselves are like 50% race tracks and robot fights. The Riddler challenges in the earlier games were always a break from the high-octane action.

• I feel like there was something that bothered me with Scarecrow, too, but it’s been too long, so maybe I’m making that up.

• Not story-related, but there were also side missions that (unless I was missing something) you can’t complete at all without specific, expensive WayneTech upgrades, which is a really frustrating brick wall to hit. If I recall correctly, it was a pair of machine gun turrets that you needed a Disruptor upgrade to deactivate both of. Something like that.

5 Likes

In some fairness, I also crashed the Remote Batarang into anything and everything, so it’s possible I’m just a bad driver.

7 Likes
Further AK Discussion

I initially refused to play the game because I’d heard that they had killed off Babs, so when someone told me it was a fear gas sequence, I was like “Well, I’m desperate for both Oracle and Jason content, so let’s give this a shot” and wound up really enjoying it. I understand being mad about the sequence… having played the entire game, I feel like they barely managed to justify having it in there because it ultimately only highlighted her importance and made her return that much sweeter, plus it was important to the use of Jason and Babs as equally important foil characters in the game, but I completely understand not caring for it.

LOL, yeah, it could not have been more obvious that it was Jason. I went in very spoiled on that ‘twist’ and wound up only enjoying it more because I knew what was coming and could appreciate it with that knowledge, but I do not recommend AK for the thrilling well-executed mystery.

I mean… it was and it wasn’t. I feel like the point of AK is to highlight the dark legacies that the Joker left in his wake… his impact on both Babs and Jason and his impact on Bruce himself. We so often only see the Joker as a direct threat these days and I appreciated having a story explore the fact that the Joker’s secondary impacts and manipulation of others means as much as the stuff he does directly, and this felt like a reflection of that.

Yeah, that’s fair. I missed the clever Riddler sequences from the earlier games. There were a few puzzles that still made me go “Oh! HA!” but it wasn’t as strong as the previous games.

That didn’t bother me too much because I was used to Riddles being upgrade-locked in the previous games, so this felt like an extension of that, but I did feel like upgrades were a bit too hard to earn.

4 Likes

I’ll be the second, then. Aside from the timed races, I loved everything about the Batmobile, including the tank combat, which I know people have loved to criticize

5 Likes

I’ll be third. I loved driving around and blowing stuff up. The puzzles in general were a pain but the car itself was awesome. (Anyone else notice the bats on the wheels?)

4 Likes

Such an excellent series though I personally did not enjoy the reliance on the Batmobile in the final game. I…also had a poorly optimized version of the PC game that took years to patch so lol.

My favorite moment is probably the Mr. Freeze fight. A boss that learned from it’s mistakes, so you had to always try something new. Such a solid moment.

5 Likes

@LDFM
I thought RROD at that moment to. Almost shut mine off but it came back on before I could.

I have to agree with a lot here. I enjoyed the batmobile. It was great for transportation and the fight was a blast. My only hate towards it is it made the Deathstroke fight a tank fight. When I found out he was in the game I was expecting another awesome fight like origins but was disappointed. I. Besides that my favorite thing with the batmobile was running over or hitting the goons and watching them fly.

3 Likes

I’ll grant that I enjoyed getting to somehow nonlethally run over goons with my car. Mind you, the first several times I did it by accident, but.

Oh, and there were the police cars.

And the police officers.

And the fences, statues, parking meters… really just generally anything that had the misfortune to be in the vicinity of my attempts to steer.

Okay, fine, maybe I am just a bad driver.

5 Likes

Asylum - all the Scarecrow encounters.
City - The Freeze boss fight
Origins - I didn’t really have a favorite moment. It wasn’t a bad game just sorta… forgettable.
Knight - Nightwing: GCPD Lockdown. Didn’t really like the main story at all. They promised us a completely new character for Arkham Knight and we got Jason. And Scarecrow was supposed to be the big bad but ended up finishing his stuff in the beginning, fighting Jason the rest of the game until the very end where Scarecrow pops up again. Batmoible was cool but the whole game was like stuck behind it.

1 Like

I’ll just go with Arkham Knight since that was the most recent game I played (and most people said my favs from the other games haha).

Serious
The Arkham Knight dropping down with his Militia when you go to rescue one of the Ace chemical workers in the little building. You get to see the suit for the first time in game in all its glory (might just be a personal thing but I love Jason’s suit SO MUCH everything about it is glorious), the pose Jason makes when he lands, his snarky monologue. I just love everything about that scene and knowing Jason was the Arkham Knight actually made me enjoy it more. Also as mysterious_stranger said Troy Baker knocks it out of the water with his voice acting and makes every scene with the Knight/Jason even more enjoyable.

Funniest
I was playing Arkham Knight really late one night so I was over tired and delirious. Decided I’d take down one more of the Militia’s watchtowers before I hit the hay. Proceeded to do so and nearly died laughing when the Arkham Knight declared he would “rip your cape off and choke you to death with it” or something along those lines. My over tired brain just immediately imagined this in 101 ridiculous ways and caused me to have a laughing breakdown. I probably wouldn’t have thought it was so funny if I hadn’t been delirious but that moment has always stuck with me ever since.

3 Likes

I found Arkham Asylum to be tedious and repetitive at times, frequently beating a decent play mechanic into the ground through recycled scenarios, but the one boss fight I really enjoyed was the one against Poison Ivy. I also found it to be one of the easiest, since I think it suited the control scheme better than some of the others. The fights in general felt sluggish due to the combo system and constant slo-mo, but that wasn’t a problem with the Ivy fight.

3 Likes

Yeah. I was playing Knight about an hour ago and realized that there is no West skin. Made me mad. I still have the Noël, 240%, and new 52 suits to enjoy. I wish that Tim wasn’t bald. And that Jason had a normal Red Hood skin. And that the Jokermobile was useable.

6 Likes

Asylum- Scarecrow levels

City- Ra’s al Guhl(whole entire level)

Knight-Final confrontation with Jason or kicking Joker to the curb once and for all. (Loved him every moment he was there though)

Origins- Haven’t played it.

4 Likes

wait if you’re talking about the Adam West skin, i’m pretty sure it’s in the game

2 Likes

Not on Xbox. It made me so angry because if you look at the TV show Batmobile, it show both TV Batman and Robin but the Batman skin isn’t actually there.

2 Likes