Batwoman: likes and dislikes

I mean she’s definitely different than him and reflect the society and time she lives in. She fits into the arrowverse universe where heroes have become more public. Green Arrow started it in the shadows and ended it with everyone knowing his identity. I think Batman fits in the arrowverse as not showing himself and being an urban myth, but with him gone, she filled the place in a world where heroes are seen. I mean, she came out in a magazine which is wildly different than Batman. Superman would do interviews, but Batman, never!

She’s different and works in this universe which can be jarring. You can’t expect her to be Batman. She has different villains, background and drives to be a hero. She’s keeping the bat theme because Gotham, but that doesn’t make her Batman, which they’ve been establishing in this season.

6 Likes

Agreed. Well stated @MissGsptlsnz.

I really love the show. At first I thought that a 22 episode season seemed like too large of an order for it, but I’m warming up to the idea. I think the first season should have enough fuel to go on, especially after Crisis. The writing has been consistently good, with only a few weak spots overall. Ruby Rose is truly becoming Batwoman for me. I really appreciate how the show tells stories that are relevant and real for the LGBT+ community. For example, in episode 1x09 they explored the consequences of revenge outing with Parker. I really hope the rest of the season keeps ramping up in action and that Kate Kane can finally have some true happiness. Whether that’s through bonding with her sisters or stopping bad guys, it’s nice to see Kate smile.

3 Likes

I get she’s different, so perhaps I’ve just been coming from a flawed premise. With regards to Arrow doing it as well, didn’t care for it then either. Like, the last episode where there’s suddenly this documentary and everyone has their names included was a dislike for me. They originally hide their identities to protect their friends and families. I mean he hid his son away for that exact reason. Plus, they were vigilantes working outside the law and if you were found out you faced legal problems. If everyone knows, why bother with the costumes anymore.

That said, Alice has been a wonderful villain and Ruby Rose has done a great job as well.

I didn’t love Kate as a character, she just showed so little emotion to me, so I’m not very upset she’s leaving. I’ll have to see if I like the new Batwoman, I’m keeping an open mind at least.

1 Like

For me, I really love Mary. She’s just relatable. I also like Alice. I feel she’s really misunderstood. Aside from her murderous tendencies.
What I don’t like is the whole coming back to her exes storyline. I feel that Kate’s got to get over them to really find herself and Batwoman. She might find someone else along the line.

1 Like

Everything about the show works for me except Ruby as Batwoman. I don’t believe it’s Kate, I just see Ruby cosplaying very badly. Alice crazy self has won me over but every time Ruby comes on screen it’s like eh. The action scenes look great.