Batwoman: likes and dislikes

I do agree that most of the arrowverse shows will wrap up soon for business reasons, to get the new shows on HBOMax

1 Like

I don’t see that happening with how much the CW has invested into them. I think HBO can do tie in’s but the true home has been cemented as the CW. That’s why they’re also putting Stargirl on their and DCU, they know that’s where the audience is. Bottom line is people won’t pay for HBO and they don’t want to lose the fans. CW is the door into DC and the DCU and HBO are too selective for them to rely solely on them.

2 Likes

I think new shows will stay on CW for initial broadcast then move to streaming the entire series once the season is over. Keep the same CW/Netflix model. Just move that model to HBOMAX. I’m guessing they will do that with Batwoman (and an outside chance Batwoman post season streaming could get shared with DCU)

They know about a 1/3rd of CWVERSE viewers binge the season on Netflix. Rather than watching them as the season moves along.

I watched the first two episodes as they aired (when available on the CW site) and lost interest/didn’t have time to watch for a while. I feel like the show took a few episodes to get into its swing. I watched # 3, 4, and 5 yesterday and enjoyed them. I like that Kate is still struggling to figure the hero thing out, it’s good for a first season. I cringe at the relationship stuff for her because she is so bad at the secret identity thing, but that’s part of the story. I hope that season 2 has more action in it.

1 Like

Well, you did ask for Likes & Dislikes, so, here you go. There’s a lot to say about Batwoman. And clearly, lot’s been said already. First I’ll say that I’ve never read her comic. After Cassandra Cain, I kinda’ soured on any more “Batwomen” (for copyright purposes). I was very happy with wheelchair bound Babs as Oracle. Her best role, in my humble opinion. All I knew about Kate Kane was that she was going to be related to Bruce. Maybe some long lost sister, like they always pull off on " the Soaps." Everything else, I found out from the show. Episode by episode. So far, here are my observations …

1 - She’s a lesbian. Hell, she can be whatever she wants. Except a child-molester!
2 - She’s 1st? cousin to Bruce. So where were the Kanes when he was orphaned by the death of his wealthy parents?
3 - Like on Birds of Prey, Batman has again, abandoned Gotham City. WHY?
4 - All this private security business. A new Police Commissioner. Where’s Jim Gordon?
5 - Will there be a Barbra Gordon, or an Oracle?
6 - Where are the Robins? Is there no Dick Grayson or Tim Drake in this reality? If not, will that now change because of CRISIS?
7 - Was Alfred given a generous severance package, and sent packing? Or is he in “exile” with Master Bruce?
and finally …
8 - Did all the various arch enemies (as we called them back in the day) also “abandon” Gotham when the Bat did? Or, just settle back in their cells at Blackgate or Arkham to comfortably await his return? If so, does this give credence to the oft’ whispered belief that it’s the masked vigilantes who attract the costumed crazies to the city, like ants to a sugar cube?

If any of you guys out there can fill in the blanks here, please do. I could’ve missed something, on a bathroom break.

On the plus side, while I didn’t think that Kate contributed much to CRISIS (she was really out of her depth there), she is a capable substitute for Batman. I also like Mary. She lightens things up. This is no GOTHAM however. Other than the city itself in common, stylistically, they’re miles apart. And this “sister” thing needs to get resolved soon. It’s starting to drag. GOTHAM had great villains (Penguin, Riddler, Victor Zsaaz) given life by excellent actors. If Batwoman can rack up half as many memorable bad guys by the end of her 2nd year, I’ll be impressed.

And if not Commissioner Gordon, I hope we at least get to see Bullock and/or Montoya. Just because the Batman’s among the missing, no way they leave Gotham unprotected.

1 Like

I do hope season two is some form of Court of Owls storyline. It would really bring Gotham to life.

2 Likes

@wrightline1.42741 Your third question is my biggest question. I can understand Batman’s absence being the dramatic catalyst for the rise of Batwoman, but would have preferred a better explanation than “he just left”.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, moro!

1 Like

@moro
That’s why I would love to see the court of owls appear. I can see a scenario where when he learned about the court of owls and their long history of controlling Gotham, he just said “to hell with the mission, I can’t fight the entire city. I’m done” and walked away from Gotham. Especially if he found out the Thomas & Martha we’re actually a part of the court of owls. That would be a twist on the comic.

3 Likes

White Canary comes to mind. And there was a doppelganger Snart as well. And Mr Terrific. They do seem a bit forced at times, but I always ignored it thinking it made people feel more accepted or something. I’m not part of that community, so I can’t say if it actually helps or not.

@DeSade-acolyte Solid idea and could make for a compelling season.

1 Like

Thomas and Martha as part of " the Court?" Now that’s a mind blower!

To paraphrase Jack in Batman " Where do you get those wonderful ideas? "

1 Like

It’s actually simple psychology, what is the one thing that could break Batman? If the death of his parents wasn’t a tragic event. He puts them on this pedestal, to live up to their standards. What they wanted Gotham to be. Take that away, you truly break the bat. Way worse than Bane ever did.

1 Like

Loved that Slam Hamilton was in tonight’s episode. Also thought this was a pretty cool background shot in the subway train.

2 Likes

I really like how they’re using crisis, the show has hit its stride with this weeks episode. I’m so excited to see what happens now and feel like the pace has picked up. With this twist I’m way more invested.

2 Likes

It was an amazing twist!

I really hope they don’t kill alternate Earth Alice aka Beth anytime soon. It would be really anticlimactic if she dies after only being in a few episodes. It should conclude in the season finale but maybe that’s just because it’s so interesting to me I want it to be a big part of the season.

2 Likes

The faithful recreation of Batwoman’s look IRL is striking. Sometimes a comic page to screen presentation of a hero or villain’s iconic look can get lost in translation, but that’s not the case here. Fantastic job by costume designer Maya Mani and series creator Caroline Dries in conjuring such a compelling and authentic look for the Batwoman. Good stuff!

3 Likes

I know, the minute I saw them reveal her cosume I was in shock! SHock, I tell you! :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve not read the comics, so maybe this is a problem with me comparing too closely to Batman, but I’m not a fan of the publicity of Batwoman. When the crowd is calling for the light to be turned on and she just swoops in for the sole purpose of making an appearance seems out of character. I’ve always thought of it as more “show up when you’re needed” thing.

1 Like