Batwoman: likes and dislikes

What’re your highs and lows, likes and dislikes on the Arrowverse’s Batwoman show?

What are your likes/dislikes about how they’ve done the adaptation? On the show itself? Does it compare to the comics? Can it compare? What are your thoughts as we go into Crisis (and the midseason break).

For me, I really love Mary. She’s supposed to be Mary Elizabeth “Bette” Kane of the comics aka the first Batgirl then Flamebird and I can totally see her becoming that, especially after spoiler for 12/1 episode: her mom died and she wasn’t able to save her despite her saving so many bad people (as she said). She failed her mother and will probably look for a new way to help people.

Mary is one of those characters I think is so reasonable probably because I see myself in her. She’s smart, a badass life saver and sweet. And the future doctor in me is thinking, ya an illegal clinic sounds like a great idea. She feels more like a real person than the other characters and I just really enjoy her personality so she’s the high of the show for me.

The low is that Renee Montoya isn’t in it, yet, and I love her and Kate. I can totally understand how Kate needs to get over Sophie so she can find someone who deserves her and can support her as Batwoman (as she’s Question…). So I have hope but the Kate-Sophie relationship is a low for me right now.

5 Likes

Apart from it’s lack of a more “exciting” villain- compelling though Alice may be- by biggest gripe with the show is that it has yet to provide a legitimate reason as to why Batman abandoned Gotham for three years. If and when we finally go get a reason, it had better be a damn good one, and not WB’s stupid mandate for not having their flagship characters in TV shows because they’re currently in movies.

5 Likes

That has definitely required some suspension of disbelief so I can just accept their reality and enjoy the story. I have a lot of questions about the history, like where are any of the Robins? No one seems to miss them or bring them up which seems so wrong to me.

I’m honestly hoping he’s with the League of Assassins because that’s all I can come up with right now. Unless a Robin died and he’s in mourning but apparently they don’t exist. In episode 2, Wonder Woman was confirmed to be in the universe so maybe there’s some whole other level above Arrow and Flash that Batman has been hanging with???

3 Likes

From what I hear, a lot is set to change after the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, so maybe we’ll be seeing more characters show up, but as it is, I think having a Robin and Nightwing on Titans is what’s keeping them from showing up in Batwoman. Having said that, they should totally introduce Tim Drake, or seeing as this a more female-centric show, Stephanie Brown as Robin.

4 Likes

After a bit of an uneven debut, I’ve really come to enjoy this show. I think my favorite part has been Alice - I’d say she’s the best Arrowverse villain so far this season and is making a strong case for one the best ever. Her dynamic w/ Kate and Jacob is fascinating, especially seeing how Kate struggles w/ the idea that her sister could still be there and how far she’s willing to go to possibly save her. Rachel Skarsten also deserves a lot of credit for consistently bringing this tragic insanity to life so brilliantly.

I’m also definitely wondering about where Bruce is, but I guess it’s a testament to how much I’ve been enjoying Kate’s story that I’m not always hung up on that question

3 Likes

I will agree that the show has finally found its footing after a rather rocky start, my concern is can keep up the momentum. I’ve only read the New 52 Batwoman comics and…they’re not great, so I worry which stories will get adapted for this show.

1 Like

Think Alice is the best part of the show, followed by Mary, Ruby Rose is okay hope she grows into the role more.

2 Likes

I am on the fence on this show right now. When I saw Batwoman in the crossover last year I was very excited for this show. It has been so-so up to this point. Ruby Rose has done a fantastic job portraying Batwoman and Rachel Skarsten has been a great Alice. The rest of the cast ? Meh. I do wish Kate would get over Sophie and move on to Renee.

1 Like

I’m definitely curious on what she’s gonna be like in this years crossover mostly because last year she seemed established as Batwoman and that hasn’t happened in the show, therefore is crisis not connected to the current episodes?

1 Like

Ok so I am gay, but I am over all the homosexual activity in the CW hero programs.

Supergirls sister lesbian
Batwoman lesbian
At the top of my head I can’t think of many more but I know there are like charmed, middle sister lesbo
… Got to keep in mind I’m a gay man so for me most of my life and most of my world in some respect involves homosexuality and I really do not want to watch it on TV, not to mention that up until now I don’t recall other superheroes in romantic relationships and why is so much emphasis put on relationships and do we really need our kids exposed to that? To be a hero doesn’t mean you’re able leap tall lipsticks in a single bound. I don’t think that kids should turn to an end to TV to watch the superhero just see them kissing each other and while the world falls apart around them. I am a firm believer that you should let your children develop whatever tendencies they do on their own without being subjected to one is better than the other.

3 Likes

I think in general arrowverse shows tend to focus too much on relationships. I enjoy the shows more when relationships are not as pronounced as the problem or villain they are facing. This is how I feel about batwoman but I also feel the same about flash, supergirl and arrow. Since kara hasn’t been involved with anyone I think the show has improved a lot. It’s probably in my top two for arrowverse shows. She doesn’t need a relationship to define her or to carry the show. I just wish they did that with Alex. It’s not a matter of straight or gay either. I don’t think we need to see every bump in their relationships for them to work. Im not saying relationships are perfect but I don’t think they should only focus on whatever troubles they are going thru. I loved Gotham and i think they walked a perfect line balancing relationship drama with crime drama. Maybe the show could focus its attention to more of the underbelly of Gotham and her mission to remedy it in the wake if batman missing. But anyways a minor complaint I love the arrowverse.

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed Batwoman so far. She was fantastic in the Elseworlds crossover, but I’ll admit, when the trailer came out for her show I was a little worried. When I saw the pilot, those fears went away.

I like that Kate isn’t set up to be a perfect hero. She’s new to all this. Yea, she’ll make mistakes along the way, but she’ll acknowledge that and learn from it. I also love what they’re doing with Alice. Much like the first season of The Flash, we got the big reveal of the villain early; if this had been any other show on any other network, they would’ve milked that mystery for at least two seasons. Here, we get the reveal, but now we can dip into the fallout and what that means for the characters. Any time Alice is on screen, she steals the show.

They’re finding their groove and I can’t wait to see what they do next.

3 Likes

I don’t feel Batwoman has focused too much on relationships. Kate is the main character after all and her and Sophie is the only real relationship going on. No different than the relationships between Barry and Iris, Oliver and Felicity, etc.

1 Like

And even that one doesn’t get that much screen time. I feel like her and Alice are the primary relationship they’re spending screen time on (makes sense they’ve got the most to deal with).

I generally like the show. The main gripe I have is that I don’t really buy the Kate/Sophie dynamic. I think too much damage has been done there. I hope Kate moves on to someone else.

3 Likes

Montoya!!!

2 Likes

Ruby Rose’s performance on Crisis has been stellar, will definitely dive back into Batwoman

3 Likes

Very well said, they are forcing a narrative on us instead of truly valueing these characters and building them up properly.

Batwoman was renewed so we’ll have to see what next season brings as they try to develop the characters and focus the plot. It will be interesting to see where things go since the Alice storyline can’t last forever.

1 Like

CWVERSE shows are soap operas wrapped in the clothing of Superheroes. So relationships are core to the shows. Every show has its romantic entanglement of the season. It’s the formula and the formula is a known and reasonably successful quantity. So, regardless of the genders in the relationships, they aren’t going away and if they did, it would likely bring a quick demise to any CWVERSE show.

As for Batwoman itself. So far Alice has stole the show. Ruby Rose is very slowly getting a handle on the part. Frankly, so far I’m whelmed at best. I think it was shown in the very first episode by the costume designer. The Ramones shirt was a clear affectation and she is still the affection of a heroine. She has been improving ever so slowly, but sometimes so slowly it is a bit painful to watch.

The unsung character is really Luke Fox, hopefully they expand his role. They certainly have reason to.

All that said, I’m sticking with the show through season 2 and I’ll re-evaluate it then. I do think they’ll wrap up Flash, Black Lightning and LoT , if not next season, the season after. Even if for no other reason than to get them off Netflix and onto HBOMAX. Leaving only Supergirl on Netflix and WB buying out the Netflix contract on that sole remaining show, then all the CWVERSE will be on HBOMAX. I wonder if that’s why they renewed so early, give Flash, LoT, & Bkack Lightning time to figure out how they want to wrap things up.

2 Likes