Batman v Superman is a good Movie

But Wonder Woman was generic af, I want something more than formulaic, generic, mindless, popcorn flicks. I’ve seen the standard superhero story a million times, I want something that transcends the genre and my expectations. If Wonder Woman is so great then why are all the villains in that film garbage. What’s Ares motivation again? Hes jealous of humans, cringe. Nothing petty about that at all, right? “Join me or die!” never heard that one before…“this will restore you’re power” really!? What is he? What was he before? I’m sure it will be revealed by the…oh. it was literally a lame diversion with no forethought nor after thought. K. I guess for some reason that’s acceptable, low standards imho. Also, the villains cackling at throwing a gas mask in to the chamber, my eyes almost rolled out of my head! Just in case you couldnt tell they were the villains. Sorry, dislike BvS all you want but there is nothing superior about the Wonder Woman movie.

2 Likes

I don’t care for Wonder Woman much but her film is the best made DCEU film so far. However, I enjoy MOS, BvS(UC) and JL more.

I have a better time because of the characters and certain scenes

1 Like

@TX85, I respect you and your opinion, especially since you can acknowledge it’s down to personal preference. Despite my criticism, I enjoyed WW very much. But for me, there was nothing in any of the other films as egregious as the villains in WW. Not because they didnt adhere to my preconceptions, but because they are the definition of hollow characters. I admit, I kind of forget that the theatrical version of BvS exists. If we’re comparing theatrical cuts then I agree, because the editing in BvS:TC was distractingly bad. Can anyone say “Ares was great/intimidating/fun/ect”. The only one that came to mind was “cliche”.
But extended version vs WW, I would say are equal in quality from a film-making stand point. Neither one has an advantage imo. For every weird musical cue in BvS you get a unnecessarily long close-up glamour shot of Gadot. Great on the eyes, I admit, but any film outside the genre would get criticized for that kind of camera work. Yeah, I’m nit-picky, but so is anyone judging BvS for “not getting the characters”. I mean if that’s the worst criticism they have, would they have enjoyed it if it was “Dark Vigilante v Sun-god” and had nothing to do with DC?
It’s also very pretentious for the person complaining to presume that their personal value of the character is not only universal, but the “correct” version. It’s also worth considering that this correct, constantly smiling, “hopeful and optimistic” version doesn’t sell in film or on paper. Death of Superman, red/blue Supes, New 52 and more are all attempts to get comic book readers interested in the character.
I’m way off track, BvS theatrical cut is good and so is WW, Man of Steel was a better film than both across all factors: acting, story, special fx, character motivations, imho.

BvS was a great film. It had all kinds of themes running through it. The Martha thing was well done; both of them valued their mothers, and was a great connection.

And Lex was manipulating them from the very start. It is better than Marvel movies because of the moral and ethical questions it brings up about whether superheroes are over stepping their boundaries. This movie and MOS were both made for people who don’t need obvious plot points to point them in the right direction

4 Likes

It is a good movie. The three leads (Batman Superman Wonder Woman) were well cast (supporting roles not so much) and the overall look suited Gotham (Metropolis should have been brighter). However the script and direction were a bit of a mess but nothing some re-editing (and cutting about a half hour) couldn’t improve. There is a great movie in there but the current cut isn’t it. I still liked it but found it disappointing. Justice League was a better movie but suffered from similar issues.

4 Likes

@RobertScorpio, yes, those are all good points :+1:

No, no, it’s not, no, it’s not good, no child, un un, no baby, no, bless them Father God, no, no, no, no, un un, no, no, no, run for your life, no, no, no, no child, no, no, no, no, bless your heart, child, no, no, no, no, no, sweet baby Oprah, no, no, no, no, no, no, Oh God No, no, no, no, no, no, no, I rebuke you Satan, Help them Jesus, no, no, no, it’s bad, it’s really bad, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, oh please god, no, no, no, no, no, no, & you know it’s bad, no, no, no, no, no, Lord save us all, it’s not good, no, no, no, Get Out!!! Someone’s in the sunken place.

4 Likes

@Svengoolie, yes, that summarizes it perfectly :+1:

I loved the look of the movie. The hero poses and movements were incredible and seemed to jump right off comic book pages. Affleck was my favorite movie version of Bruce Wayne (he actually did stuff!); however, I tend not to like kill-happy or robo-suit versions of Batman. The Martha connection didn’t bother me, since it was highlighting to Bruce that Superman was a living being with a family and not just a powerful threat. What bothered me were the amount of flashbacks/dream sequences (especially Jonathan Kent) and Bruce apparently being so thoroughly manipulated by Lex. Maybe some of the dreams would have paid off in the original Justice League plans, but this was a long movie that should of focused on Batman vs Superman with the entwining introductions of Lex and Diana - Flash if needed for the Knightmare payoff. Post credit scenes could have shown the other hero intro clips as Bruce and Diana search for a team.

1 Like

I give Batman v Superman 10 sweaty cognitive dissonances out of 10.

My pull quotes -

“That really happened!”

“More than one person saw it happening and thought, ‘ok!’”

“A triumph of the sunk cost fallacy!”

1 Like

I kindly disagree. Batman was a murderous thug in that movie. One so blinded with his own bitterness as to EASILY be manipulated into being an unwitting cronie for Lex Luther. That alone should have ruffled more fans than it did, imho. I’m not even a huge Batman fan and I was disgusted. Thank God Superman’s mom just so happened to have the same name as Bruce’s mother. Would he have kept from killing Superman otherwise? LoL, no. Because he wasn’t a hero, y’all. He was just some angry, impulsive loon with money and a bat suit. The writers were so busy trying to dish up metaphors and crap that they couldn’t even be bothered to write Batman. He was nothing but a tool, and a poor one. And that’s just the start. I hate BvS on too many levels. But that’s just my opinion, though. Glad you enjoyed it despite itself.

I like the extended cut. A lot of good came out of Snyder’s movies. The corporate studio heads interfered with the artist and ruined the trilogy.

1 Like

I would have liked to see a stand alone Batman movie with Affleck. So far I liked his Batman the best. I’ll take a DC movie over a Marvel movie anytime.

1 Like

I enjoyed Batman v Superman. My biggest problem was Batman wasn’t introduced in his own solo film first like Superman was in Man of Steel so it didn’t really have a build to it but putting that aside it was an awesome movie. I’ve enjoyed all of the DCEU movies. The only one I haven’t seen is Shazam but I’m planning on seeing it hopefully soon.

1 Like

No offense, didn’t think it was very memorable. Don’t really remember the plot very well other than there were a lot haters (Batman hates Superman and vice versa) fighting and dark scenes. Not a lot of humanity and character development at least not at face value. From a literature standpoint, after the fact, hearing interviews, maybe it made sense what the two main characters stood for, but not while watching it at the time.

2 Likes

It’s a tolerable movie.
When you have a movie where Batman shoots people with various guns, Superman couldn’t care less about anyone but Lois and his mom, and Lex Luthor is essentially a redheaded Riddler, it’s hard to like it very much.

1 Like

I give the noise the Batmobile makes an 8/10
Sexy Alfred 9/10
Jar of peepee 3/10
Soundtrack 8/10

1 Like

Really glad you liked it. I think a lot of the criticism stems from the fundamental differences in how people appreciate the characters. I have no doubt that Zach Snyder cares about these characters and those in the Watchmen as much as I do, I just think we like them in very different ways.

BvS is my favorite movie, I could watch it over and over.

3 Likes

I love the visual aesthetic of the movie, I love how ambitious the story is but overall I personally think it’s very convoluted and slow. I love that the movie has a mature almost Christopher Nolan tone at times but it’s just not as well written or paced as those movies.