Batman Thread

its a good point I really liked that issue

2 Likes

I’m currently working towards reading the omnibus of All-Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder by Frank Miller and Robin and Batman by Jeff Lemire.

Tomorrow I talk about both of them and see which series I like more and what I thought about their take on the early years of Batman and robin.

3 Likes

ASBARTBW is the best, because it is so funny. I am comedy gold in it.

3 Likes

well your really something in it thats for sure they don’t call you crazy Steve :laughing: in that book for nothing I don’t know how it got started but that really is a thing

2 Likes

I look forward to your thoughts

2 Likes

this warms my heart

alfred should be alive again already

2 Likes

Just finished reading the long halloween (almost one sitting, read on issue last night) and it thought it was good. I noticed similarities to Godfather and Silence of the Lambs. I definitely did not see that ending coming. I knew part of it but man :exploding_head:. I wont spoil it but it fooled even batman, so yeah.

3 Likes

I think I read Long Halloween over a period of 8 sittings.

3 Likes

Whatever works for you. read it however you get the most enjoyment out of it. I just got up early and didn’t have much to do.

2 Likes

I read it during work breaks.

3 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense.

3 Likes

Robin And Batman: Growing Pains by Jeff Lemire.

That’s not actually what the book is called but I thought to have fun with it. For the most part this series tackles the earliest adventures of Dick Grayson as robin pretty well. Focusing on establishing the frustrating beginnings of the dynamic duo. It doesn’t establish how they met but it does tell us how Dick got his first superhero suit, his first time meeting the justice league and the titans, and his first real enemy as Robin against killer Croc.

I really love the writing here. It’s a superhero story but everything is low-key, the action scenes are there but it’s really focused on the drama here and I like that a lot.

Bruce and Dick complicated mentor/student Father/son dynamic is what’s really important here. Bruce being emotionally detached from him yet at the same time helping him cope with his trauma and become a stronger person is really important to understand because many times here Bruce could seem callous in this story. Like stealing his journal to know how to make the robin suit (which come on, either Alfred or Lucius made that suit, you certainly didn’t) to making Robin trick the Titans to keep tabs on them should they ever go rogue. Classic Bruce.

By the way Alfred is Goat here. Towards the end, the only reason their relationship moves forward is because of Alfred who wants Dick to at least act like a regular kid and not some child-soldier Bruce is making him out to be. The only man Batman is afraid of everybody.

I like a lot of things in this series and its incredible shame it only last 3 issues. I would easily recommend 8 out of 10.

Next ASBARBW(All-Star Batman and Robin: Boy Wonder)

3 Likes

You ever heard the tale of the ■■■■■■■ Batman! Well get ready because I’m going to talk about All-star Batman and Robin: Boy Wonder

It’s hard to mention any of the bonkers stuff in this story to clarify the important detail that Batman might be sometimes portrayed as a ruthless pragmatist in other stories, but in here Batman is straight up a crazy man so arrogant, so wild here even Ghost maker would tell him to tone it down.

All-star Batman and Robin begins with reporter Vicki Vale and Bruce Wayne going to the famous(infamous) Flying Grayson show and seeing Dick Grayson for the first time. His parents are killed and before the Hitman posed as police officers could take Dick Grayson as well, Batman shows up and to save and recruit him to become Robin.

In the beginning it’s not so bad. I mean yeah Viki Vale butt literally is a single panel in the first issue of page 12 but I could chalk up to that to fan-service(Expolotive as it may be). I don’t think it’s long when we reach ludicrous insanity starting in issue 2 and onwards when Batman start calling Dick the bad R word and himself the ■■■■■■■ Batman that I knew we were all in trouble.

It’s not that different from Jeff Lemire Robin and Batman series by telling the origin of Robin. However, unlike that series where robin actually you know, fought criminals. It really focused uncomfortably for a good portion on the mental torture of Robin who still suffering from the fallout of his parents’ death has Batman locking him in the Batcave without a bed or food. He even won’t let Alfred feed the boy any other food because he needs to ready himself. Jesus.

Yes, that’s uncomfortable but honestly going pass that stupid moment. I still like this series shows Alfred as G. Calling out Bruce’s bull nonsense and showing he’s packing.

And I got to agree with @MatthewHecht logic. This book is a comedy gold. You could laugh at quite a lot of things here. That makes you laugh with Batman and his craziness.

Just look at this moment where Batman painted an entire place yellow to weaken Green Lantern and also to troll Hal.

It’s not a great story, especially for Robin fans. Regardless I still love that this story gave us this moment. Showing even when Frank miller was clearly losing his charm, he still knows what matter.

4 Likes

I am so great.

3 Likes

your not the only one that feels those comics are much the some I’ve heard people say they read them as a pair I don’t own ether of them because I feel they mostly paint batman in a bad light and I think batmans a good dad I know a lot of people like to say he’s bad because he lets his kids fight crime but in the world that they live in I feel like its everyone else in gotham who are wrong for not teaching there kids how to defend themselves in some way and pretending like they are not gonna get attacked when in that world they will sooner are later more then once I also don’t think batman was wrong for telling robin to find the other kids weakness he was right in the superhero world you never know when someones going to go crazy or when there mind will be taken over and unless robins ready as a person with no powers he’s not gonna be able to get away
also kind of off topic but I want this staro mask

1 Like

great batman hugs

4 Likes

2 Likes

Not off topic if you call it Jarro. Js

1 Like

Love it and will gladly defend it. I know Frank is not a fan of Robin, he noted the character as a ‘nuisance’ he felt, growing up. Hence, this was probably for him in a sense.

4 Likes

wow I never saw someone say they loved it before I guess you never know what people will love :smiley: I really like the dark knight returns

2 Likes