Batman: Hush DC Animated Movie

How did you feel about the movie compared to the comic?
Why did DC make the changes they did?
Where are they attempting to go with the DCAU?

6 Likes

They didn’t want or need to take the time to give all of the Bruce Wayne adolescence to make the original identity work. They found a good plot flow using Riddler.

The biggest takeaway I have from Hush is that Bruce & Selina should NEVER, EVER be shipped. It’s so contrived, it’s so forced, it’s completely unhealthy crutch relationship.

The film was more about Bruce & Selina than about Batman vs Hush. Hush is just a plot device to put them together.

DC Animated is just desperate to force a Bat-Family together. It’s obvious and a lousy idea. I understand that Batman is “the rising tide that lifts all boats” So getting as many characters as possible to get Batman’s reflected light in them will try and connect them to readers/viewers. It’s commercially understandable, but I think it does a disservice to all the characters.

6 Likes

The storyline from the comics really couldn’t be adapted faithfully in a standalone film. It requires far too much knowledge of too many characters. The story had to be streamlined, and if the film falls short anywhere, it does so because it retains too much fidelity to the source material. We really don’t need a buff supervillain abducting a kid in this movie. We don’t need a young, female member of the Bat-family finding Bruce’s body after he falls. We don’t need Poison Ivy controlling Superman. We don’t need the Joker and Harley showing up. We don’t need Clayface impersonating people. We don’t need a Lazarus pit that grants the Riddler a moment of clarity. If most of Loeb’s character cameos had just been scrapped altogether, then there might have been more room to explore Bruce’s childhood memories with Thomas Elliot, and he could have been a proper suspect.

That said, it’s still arguably better than the comic.

5 Likes

This should be named Batman and Catwoman. Hush was inconsequential to the story. You could unplug Hush and put in any other C list villain and the story is the same. I’m all for adaptations but the big twist didn’t hold any weight because the story was only about Bruce’s compulsion and Selina’s persona.

5 Likes

Hot garbage. Don’t even wanna explain.

1 Like

It tried to subvert expectations by making Riddler the big bad. It was stupid. Yes the focus of the movie is about Bruce and Selina, but WHY call the movie hush then? It’s like making a death in the family book, but instead it’s Alfred who dies, not Jason. Congratulations, we didn’t see it coming. But we didn’t want it.

3 Likes

Incredible animation! Awesome story (except for the twist ending which works, but is kind of weak). More please!

3 Likes

And yes, there is not enough Hush in the Hush movie. Joker has more stuff going on.

1 Like

I get you couldn’t do all of the characters and everything but having almost no tommy Elliot is ridiculous. The fake Jason from the comics might be as good as under the red hood so total mistake to not include it. The best part about the riddler secretly behind it all was that he was secretly behind it all. The cat woman relationship was done completely wrong. The story was all about trust and past mistakes and the movie had none of it.

1 Like

Loved the tweaked ending! Having you-know-who be Hush instead of you-know-who, was the best change they could’ve made.

5 Likes

The ending took me by surprise, what with the Riddler not being the pawn he was in the comic. Now in the comic Batman severed his romance with Catwoman because he couldn’t be certain his feelings for her were actually his own. But in the movie she pulled out because she didn’t like how he was willing to risk his life for someone who had tried to kill him. Which leaves us with a chance of the romance blooming again in the next flick.

2 Likes

As usual excellent animation and production quality I wasn’t sold on the new crop of voice actors when the DCAU kinda started to streamline but I’m getting there. That said the story was ok but the whole time I just kept thinking I’d rather be reading the comic. well it’s not that I didn’t necessarily enjoy the content of it this movie was as a lot of people have said more Batman and Catwoman hanging out than anything else. The joker parts just didn’t feel the same or as good and rewarding as it did in the comic it just seemed contrived a little bit mostly because there’s almost no buildup. overall I enjoyed the movie for what it was but I probably won’t come back to it very often, I do wish that they would stop using Nightwing as the guy to make other characters look good in individual moments though he deserves a little bit better treatment than that I think.

2 Likes

I like jen Morrison so I think it’d be cool for her to be catwoman again - I see why people are saying there was too much of their relationship in the movie- I think having more of the villains battling them would have received better reviews. Two face wasn’t there at all, killer croc got changed out and joker wasn’t there at all hardly. The comic book gave a lot of background but I don’t think the movie needed that…they perhaps could have done a scene at least showing the childhood friendship- the comics had a lot of flashbacks which honestly weren’t necessarily key to the plot. Catwoman with batman is something that has been teased over and over but not really explored so I think it was neat to explore it but the ending was odd… right at that dramatic moment bats is like - girl bye - lol there were literally bigger things going on than their relationship lol I think the problem is their relationship derailed the central plot more than something exciting and apart of the plot - it wasn’t as cohesive as it could have been like making out during a fight or something feels more like them than waking up together the next morning ------i gotta say I really liked it though and I cheer on the casting Choices, I know Jason Morales the voice of batman I haven’t met him at a comicon yet but want to!!!-----follow me on Instagram frank.franks and like my fb page Mr.Mar-Vell ----

Honestly I think the movie did good I mean I was a little disappointed of the change of the character but besides that the action and surprise cameos help it stay up
A part of me feels like the whole relationship with Selina was being built in order to maybe go with their marriage storyline
But overall a good movie and I think it makes my top 5 dc animated films

3 Likes

I agree. Welcome to the community!

1 Like

I’ve never read the original Batman: Hush storyline though I should. But I genuinely enjoyed the movie, voice casting was good, fights scenes were amazing. And that one scene where Damian is telling Bruce to use “protection” is priceless. But I get why some people didn’t like the movie cause they changed who hush was and the whole point of the series that Batman can’t trust anyone.

3 Likes

Having read the Hush comic, I was excited for this one. The identity reveal was a complete surprise for me in the movie. I get why the changes would be a disservice in the eyes of some, but I did enjoy the movie overall, especially glad it felt new even though I’ve read the story before.

I thought it was okay. The animation was good, but overall, it was a let down compared to the book. Although, that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

The Hush reveal in the movie felt like it was there to subvert expectations rather than to service the story.

The comics storyline was a fun mystery with all sorts of crazy heaped on top of it. The animated movie stripped the story to bare bones and – while I understand their desire to “streamline” the plot for an uninitiated audience – a lot of the crazy/fun ideas were left on the cutting room floor.

I know this is a lean adaptation, but much of the comic’s flavor was lost for me in this movie.

I feel you