šŸŸ¢ šŸŸ¢ Batman Forever WAL Thursday 02-23-23 5PM PST šŸŸ¢ šŸŸ¢

This movie had some fantastic pre release promo, especially the posters-

6 Likes

Absolutely. Teenage me had these (and the main theatrical posters for BF and B&R) on my bedroom walls until 2000 or so:

6 Likes

Iā€™m just curious, why is this watch along in general topic and not in a club watch along section? :thinking:

5 Likes

Letā€™s talk Batman Forever on home video, with an emphasis on its individual releases across various video formats.

Debuting on October 31st, 1995 were the very first home video releases of the movie, on VHS and Laserdisc.

Hereā€™s the VHS edition:

SN: I was in seventh grade at the time, and I bolted out of school Flash-level fast that day, so as to get home and watch the flick while I put my Two-Face costume together for Trick or Treat later that night.

After ToT, I watched the movie again while diving into my candy haul. Now, that was a kick-ass Halloween. :+1:t2:

Batman Forever was also released on widescreen VHS at a later point, either in the late '90s or early '00s. By that time, I had the DVD (which featured the proper widescreen aspect ratio), so I didnā€™t pay much attention to its widescreen VHS release.

I couldnā€™t find a good picture of the widescreen VHS cover, but the only difference between it and the pan and scan VHS (seen above) is that the widescreen edition has a red banner across the top of its cover that reads ā€œSpecial Widescreen Editionā€.

Onto the Laserdisc!

Laserdisc is one of the few formats I never bought any of the Burton/Schumacher movies on.

In part, because when Laserdisc was current, I wasnā€™t yet an A/V geek and also because my parents never bought a Laserdisc player, so I went with what we (and most everyone else) had: VHS.

I came very close to buying Batman and Batman Forever on Laserdisc around 2017. The price for each was $5 and while a good deal, I still had never bought a Laserdisc player, so I passed on them.

Spinning onto DVD and other modern, current home video formats:

The first DVD release of the movie, debuting on May 20th, 1997:

The Two-Disc Special Edition DVD, released on October 18th, 2005 (alongside Batman Begins and the Special Editions of Batman, Batman Returns and Batman & Robin, as well as Columbiaā€™s Batman serial from 1943):

The special features alone make the Special Edition the be-all, end-all DVD release of the movie. Toss in the then-state of the art digital transfer and a DTS audio track, and that SE was :kissing: :pinched_fingers:t2: and then some.

The initial individual Blu-ray, released on April 20th, 2010 (the same disc was originally released in the Batman: Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997 box set on March 10, 2009):

4K UHD Blu-ray, released on June 4th, 2019:

Laserdisc, widescreen VHS and 4K UHD Blu-ray aside, Iā€™ve owned all of the above (with the digital 4K release being my current ownership of the flick) over the years and they each offered a fantastic presentation of Batman Forever within each formatā€™s given technical parameters.

If youā€™re in the market to buy Batman Forever and you have a 4K TV, do yourself a favor and get it on 4K. The presentation is fantastic (rich colors, deep blacks) and it is absolutely and without a doubt the best Batman Forever has ever looked on home video.

5 Likes

My bad @Reaganfan78. This is my first time posting a WAL invite and I didnā€™t fully understand the protocols. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

No worries. I DMā€™d the Mod Squad. :superman_hv_3:

4 Likes

Thx Super Cool @Vroom. :smiley:

5 Likes

Batman Thumbs Up GIF

4 Likes

This is your first watch along hosting? Iā€™ll definitely be here! :smiley:

4 Likes

Batman Forever: Renactment

Reaganfan78: I want you to know @Vroom, weā€™ll be full partners, look at us, two of a kind!
Vroom: You set up a appointment with my assistant @DC89 & sheā€™ll set something up.
Reaganfan78: uh, that wonā€™t be good enough for me, I need the answer now, I think I deserve it.
Vroom: Sorry Reaganfan78, then the answer is no. Temporary with brainwave can dangerous, it could raise many questions. Sorry.
Great job everybody, DC Universe look great!
@biff_pow: All right everyone, back to work. (To Reaganfan78) weā€™ll discuss this later!
Reaganfan78: You were suppose to understandā€¦Iā€™ll make you understand.

(Vroomā€™s office)
Vroom: Lock.
Chair.
Kelex?

Kelex: I saw the signal sirā€¦all is ready!

:batman: :question:

Hope you guys like it, if not Iā€™ll delete it.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Iā€™m gonna get started on my Fred Stickley cosplay RIGHT NOW!

Fred_Stickley

5 Likes

:laughing: :purple_heart:

5 Likes

5 Likes

bugs-bunny-heart

and that goes for the surreal, garish colored lighting, too!

4 Likes

fdc90f22-b9d9-467e-bcbb-f38912341575_text
:laughing::batman::00_robin:

4 Likes

so much love

5 Likes

Riddle me this, riddle me that? Who will join the watch along?
If you guys join, Iā€™ll help you solve the greatest riddle of all, the mother of all riddlesā€¦Who is Batman? :smirk:

:riddlerhqtas:

5 Likes

Riddle me this: Is Val Kilmer a secret fortune teller? :thinking::batman:

5 Likes

No matter your feelings on the film, you cannot deny the videogame was objectively bad, lol

4 Likes

Yeah, I remember how weird it look, not as good as Batman Returns and The Adventures of Batman & Robin. But it was still fun, even if I couldnā€™t beat the game.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes