Batman 1989 (Movie)

It’s weird, isn’t it? Things got next level computer aided around 1990. Everything changed. Some of the changes (the costumes) in Returns were shocking, but that’s just Burton/Bo Welch/Stan Winston with twice the money, I remind myself. I mean, the miniatures in Returns take it next level artistic to me. It’s bananas. I’m a miniatures fanatic.

3 Likes

me too! man i miss them in movies. and matte paintings.

3 Likes

They never fail. Even if a matte didn’t look “real”, it still looks more real than a CG green screen shot. It was part of the set that players could literally interact with. Ya know, vs staring at a line of sight pole attached to James Spader hovering three feet above his head. Poor digital composites can ruin a movie these days.

3 Likes

all warm and textured. i don’t think cg will ever be able to improve on this

GothamCity2

for reference for people who might not know what we mean, this is how much of Gotham actually existed as a set:

8907580cbe5a034077bcfc058a1fadc8

Flugelheim in the movie (lower right):

Flugelheim on the set:

4 Likes

In camera effects. Make me feel all warm and squishy. I was even further back in my mind. Like, about 90 years ago back.

3 Likes

All of this^^^ :raised_hands: :fist_right: :fist_left:

Reeves’s take in The Batman did it for me on many fronts/Nolan nailed it on a number facets with BB and TDK, but nothing, and I mean nothing will ever replace these films in my heart

Sorry to hear you were sick- hope you’re feeling better. :smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

Agreed. Still forever :purple_heart:ing Returns tho too.

4 Likes

I’m going through immunotherapy for wasp allergies. Apparently I didn’t like the last dose, so they’re reducing it by 40% next month. Felt real, real bad for 36 hours. Much improved now, thanks!

These movies are magic to me. Just about perfect for my sensibilities. I don’t need/want anything too grounded in reality either. If I wanted what Nolan/Reeves are bringing to the table, I’d just watch the news. I need a bit of escape in my escape.

4 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

4 Likes

:pleading_face:

Yay!

4 Likes

Totally agreed. Give me something fun and meaningful that is quality built and I’ll def be willing to suspend my disbelief and immerse myself in it from start to finish.

3 Likes

:purple_heart:

3 Likes

I remember these- they were essentially chocolate Wheat Chex with B’Man Returns shaped Lucky Charms style marshmallows.

They were OK but B’Man 89 cereal was much better cuz it tasted just like a cereal that to date seemed to only be available in the Chicagoland area/midwest:

5 Likes

I remember hearing once that Bob Kane was suppose to film a cameo at the time for Batman, sadly it didn’t happen. Whether you like him or not it would’ve been cool to see him in the movie, I think his cameo would’ve been perfect had he play a newspaper editor and give Alexander Knox his picture of a bat wearing a suit, “Hey Knox, I’ve got something for you.”
It’s a shame he never had a cameo even in Joel Schumacher’s Batman film. Even if he did, Schumacher did a lousy job at it, finding Bob Kane in Batman & Robin during the auction crowd scene was like finding Where’s Waldo.

2 Likes

Word. :100:

Glad you’re on the mend @Kon-El-Prime :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

:face_with_monocle: I need to know everything about the Vitamanverse!!! Queen Mineral? The Evil Mage Malnutrition? Squire Whole Grains? :astonished:

4 Likes

I recognize this box, and I was a kid in Texas at that time! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This still around?

3 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes

According to Wikipedia he did have an enemy called the Not-So-Bright Knight, which struck me as what you’d call Batman if you wanted something slightly less scary than Dark Knight.

4 Likes