Batgirl Movie Canceled

I was just going by a couple articles I’d read that claimed the movie didn’t go well with test audiences. After seeing @DC89’s posts, I can see that is a disputed claim. If it was just about cost-cutting, then this makes very little sense to me. After spending ten of millions on filming, how much more would it have really cost them to run it through post-production and slap it onto HBOMax? In all fairness, I’m not a corporate guy so it’s probably not for me to understand. But, if the film was good then Batgirl deserved better.

9 Likes

Grace Randolph on twitter is saying that HBO Max may be getting folded into the Discovery streaming app, with emphasis on unscripted stuff only, which means a bunch of other stuff getting cancelled, not just Batgirl. I know she’s not the most reliable source, but if there’s any truth to that rumor, we may be in for a rude awakening in the coming months.

9 Likes

Ehhhh… I’m taking that rumor with a grain of salt. My younger brother reminded me that the GoT spin-off is about to be released. Even if they are cutting down on streaming exclusive material, it would be really crazy for them to fold HBOMax and pass on those GoT audiences.

9 Likes

Grace Randolph is considered a hack by pretty much everyone else in the Entertainment News industry, and has no credibility as a journalist.

4 Likes

Like I was just saying over in the :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: thread- this was a full scrapping of product after money was spent. Something else is afoot. I’m waiting on the ‘sources close to the situation’ crowd to chime in with their takes. And then probably after about a year or so we’ll pretty much know the full story. My WB raven is fully clammed up. Wouldn’t even return my email.

12 Likes

Horrible news. Reports that WarnerDiscovery wants to only focus on event films is terrible. Movies should be able to exist as story focused, character driven works. Not everything has to be a big spectacle. You need a range in movies. Everything can’t be some event that gets forgotten about a week later. It feels like a desperate attempt at being the MCU when they could have had their own identity.

HBO Max is getting Emmy Awards and nominations. They’re growing in subscribers and social media awareness. Movies should be made to cater to that emerging audience. The movie is almost completed with post-production. It’s ridiculous to not even put the movie in the VOD market.

12 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t think it would be that abrupt. More like stuff coming down the pipeline like Titans, Doom Patrol, the Superman & Batman animated shows.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m not calling her or anyone a “hack” nor am I saying she’s a reliable source… just sharing the rumor mill at the end of a workday :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yeah. I’m definitely expecting the Blue Beetle to get the axe. I’m also worried about Doom Patrol, Titans, and Harley Quinn the Animated Series. With the news that the Arrowverse is dead after the next Flash season and this news about Batgirl, more loss will be tough to handle.

8 Likes

I’ve more gotten the impression that she’s pretty hit and miss. Definitely not as reliable as Hollywood Reporter, Deadline, Variety, etc. but also not as bad as We Got This Covered or Giant Freakin’ Robot

5 Likes

I saw more rumors that HBO Max’s Green Lantern series was quietly canned. At this point that is reasonable.

5 Likes

I guess this film is the next Roger Corman Fanatistic Four

5 Likes

Blue Beetle doesn’t look cheap like Batgirl did

4 Likes

Word. :raised_hands:t4:

Hi @nu52!!! :hugs: So good to see you.

6 Likes

The Blue Beetle costume actually looks pretty damn good. I think Blue Beetle will actually come out because its unconnected to other projects

5 Likes

Well the world isn’t ready for another Bat-themed project since Morbuis

6 Likes

You think $90 million is cheap?

8 Likes

YES.

So miss the days when the shield was the shield . . . before it got att’d and christopher columbus’d.
x515
#CCO89

8 Likes

Agreed. :triumph: :fist_right: :fist_left:

7 Likes

The cost doesn’t matter if the project looks cheap as hell. Kinda like that Kenobi show

4 Likes